Can two people with cf date?

herlife22

I am 22 years old and when I was 15 I met a guy who also had CF and we ammediently fell in love and dated for 3 1/2 years. Did we both get sick over that time? Yes. Would we have gotten sick regardless?? I guess we will never know. We both have been doing better in our health not dating, so maybe. He was my first love and dating him taught me a lot about having CF and I would never trade it for anything.

herlife22

I am 22 years old and when I was 15 I met a guy who also had CF and we ammediently fell in love and dated for 3 1/2 years. Did we both get sick over that time? Yes. Would we have gotten sick regardless?? I guess we will never know. We both have been doing better in our health not dating, so maybe. He was my first love and dating him taught me a lot about having CF and I would never trade it for anything.

I am really confused on why a clinic would tell you not to come within 3 feet of someone with cf. It is not contagious so there should be no reason for you not to be able to. My best friend has cf and i hug her all the time and there is nothing wrong with me so i think your clinic has no idea what they are talking about... no offense

I am really confused on why a clinic would tell you not to come within 3 feet of someone with cf. It is not contagious so there should be no reason for you not to be able to. My best friend has cf and i hug her all the time and there is nothing wrong with me so i think your clinic has no idea what they are talking about... no offense

bigstar

Well im fairly interested in writing a book, story,a whatever you name it about this topic. Thinking about it has brought me into deep consideration. As a CFer i think of the risks, the heartbreaks and the frustration but as a person with deep need of love and acceptance i ask myself "Can this be your true love?". What would you me and everyone trade for love? I want to start writing a story about this. CFers are not sick unattractive people. They are usually very inspiring young people, with bright minds, smart, humorous, educated, beautiful, with experiences that make them sensitive and aware of our mortality and consequently aware of the miracle of life. Wouldn't you fall in love with such a person? But im not really sure of how the whole thing evolves... Is such a relationship viable? Can this survive? Can we survive? Are there happy endings? Not happily-ever-after endings (hate them) but optimistic real life endings. I need your thoughts over that.

R

RytheStunner

CFers have certain bugs that are transmittable to other CFers and can complicate their condition further. Bugs like B Cepacia and MRSA are especially risky.

So no, CF is not contagious, but the bugs that we carry are.

Lena Bean

I know for a fact there is a couple that has CF that is married. I haven't heard about them in about 3 years though. I'm pretty sure they met on the star bright network. It's entirely possible. It's just not advised, but there's a lot of things the doctors tell us not to do. My old doctors used to tell me not to have cats and that I shouldn't ever have a job, go to school or ride a bike. I've done all of those things. Fact is, if it's something you understand the consequences of and you still want to do, do it. You really do only have one life to live, and I think it's better to live with regrets of what you did do than what you didn't do.

tysmama

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I enjoyed reading them and was touched by all of them. My son is only 2, but I wish for him to find love in his life like every one dreams to. Love is a huge risk to anyone. With this situation at hand, It's all about education, awareness and going in with your eyes wide open. This is true as well for couples with the best of health. Have a blessed night everyone.

anien2

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I enjoyed reading them and was touched by all of them. My son is only 2, but I wish for him to find love in his life like every one dreams to. Love is a huge risk to anyone. With this situation at hand, It's all about education, awareness and going in with your eyes wide open. This is true as well for couples with the best of health. Have a blessed night everyone.

Dont worry about your kid, by the time he starts caring about girls CF will be something that forces him to take two pills a day, and thats it. He will have a completely normal life.

An about this topic... I have at home two CFers kissing, liking and biting each other all day. It is a risk, we all know, but I wouldnt take that pleasure faces away from them when they do it, because they love each other and because I am unable to apart one from the other, they are 3 and 1 yo.

joedexter23

Its an unfortunate reality that it will always be dangerous and advised against. Perhaps if you both know you are carrying the same bacterias ie Staff (I dont think thats how its actually spelt) then maybe it would be ok. You'd have to get tested though.

ellie12xx

You are not aloud to meet other people with cf let alone date them. If you kiss them that could make you seriously ill so i ouldnt if i were you! Sorry! i was anoed too that I cant ever meet one of my best mates, but thats what us cfers have to put up with :/ Stay strong everybody and someone please please add me or reply on my blogs, i need to chatt to someone xx

R

RytheStunner

There's a difference between being not recommended and being not allowed. You can do whatever you want. If you weren't "allowed" to meet other people with CF, then you wouldn't have a ton of them meeting up regularly.

daffy1

About ten or so years ago, I was on the Cystic-L list and had been since 1988 when my son, Micah was born with cf. There was a guy on there named Wade Hello. We dated for a bit when I lived down close to austin, tx. He would wear a mask if he knew micah was going to be with us. After he and I broke up, he met a girl named Deborah on the list. (can't remember her last name) She had cf as well . They fell madly in love and married. They knew fully well what they were getting into, but loved each other so much. They lived a very happy life, but eventually did infect each other. He had already cultured pseudomonas (don't know about her). If memory serves me correctly, she passed away first and much later he was found in home where it looked as if he just went to sleep and passed away. So, just know what you are getting into. it's a high price, but not if you just want live your life to the fullest.

R

RytheStunner

Nope two people with cf cannot meet let alone date! I'm sorry but this is the truth.

How about you try telling that to the CFers who are currently dating, and the ones who are even married. Tell them they're not allowed.

It's a personal decision. Nobody is going to make you do anything. Doctors have recommendations and they recommend CFers keep their distance, but that's ONLY a recommendation. What do you suggest that CF siblings do if you supposedly say they're not allowed to be near each other?