Cataracts and Glaucoma

anonymous

I was wondering if cataracts and glaucoma are common in CF. My daughter was diagnosed at 10 yrs. old, has what they term a mild case, and now this week we got the diagnosis of cataracts and glaucoma, she is now 15. Is this a side effect of the meds?? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks, Joan

L

luke

this is a common side effect of prednisone...yearly eye exams are recommended so long as you take it.

luke

anonymous

I guess I won't complain anymore since I am 32 and was dx with cataracts and glaucoma... Very mild cataracts but still ... I was really upset that I was only 32 and that I got it but being 15 geez. I take high doses of steroids so I know that is the reason why.. I am also a mild form of CF...

Can I ask what her intra occular pressures were? Mine are at 36 and 30 right now.I am not on any meds for them just yet, and the funny thing is I just went for a second opin. and the doctor found my pressures to be lower then what the first doctor said.. Go figure..

Jennifer
32 w/ Cf and Addison's

anonymous

Oh one more thing does your daughter or anyone else with Glaucoma or cataracts have the halo effect around the lights?.. I have been to the eye doctor so much lately and they can't seem to find the reason for my painful, blurry vision. Maybe if you wouldn't mind telling me what her symptoms were that would help me a great deal.

Thanks,

Jennifer 32 w/ Cf and Addison's disease

anonymous

My daughter's pressures were 23 and 28 and they want to do emergency surgery on Monday. She has to be sedated just to complete a proper eye exam then they will let me know the findings and whether or not they will procede with the surgery.
Unfortunately she is non verbal, mentally retarded, etc. and has a host of disabilities so her symptoms were unknown until we spotted a cataract on Friday. She is also on Depakote and topamax for seizures so they think maybe those drugs are the culprit. Thanks, Joan

Purplelungs

I have never heard of anyone with cf having them, only if on medication that causes cataracts and glaucoma. More than likely it is a medication she is on that causes these problems. Or thats what I would think. Sorry we cant be of much help.