Celebrating 10 years of new life!

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
This is something I posted on my personal Facebook page earlier today. I realize not everyone has Facebook so I decided to share it here as well.

Dear Friends & Family,

Today as I sit here typing this I can think of two words to describe my life. Thankful & Blessed. The feelings I have right now are almost indescribable. My life changed drastically on this very day at 5 A.M. ten years ago when I was at the young age of fifteen years old. “We have lungs for Amber” I was given a new life. A second chance. A chance many people don’t receive in enough time. Sometimes I can’t help but sob with joy when I realize that I’m still here after all this time. I bypassed fifty percent of the people that survive longer than five years for a double lung transplant by doubling the number!

Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny -C.S. Lewis

This is a very small piece of my story:
The fact is; I wasn’t living a normal teenage life. At twelve years old my health was rapidly declining each passing year. I couldn’t attend school, I couldn’t hang out with my friends as much as I wanted to, I couldn’t leave the house for long periods of time for many reasons: My oxygen tank only lasted a few hours, I had I.V. medication that needed to be kept cold & I would become easily exhausted with little movement. I couldn’t walk across a small room without gasping for air. I simply couldn't enjoy a moment of laughter without physically getting sick from laughing too much. I had to bring my wheelchair everywhere. In most situations the only thing I could do was sit there and watch everyone else have fun. I had been dancing since I was six years old but I had to quit because I couldn’t breathe anymore. I used to listen to music but I could no longer do that either because I couldn’t hear. I was always attached to oxygen & I.V. tubes which was a constant reminder of how my life had changed dramatically. I was living in the hospital a couple times a year for weeks at a time. How did I get to this point? What did I do wrong? Why did I deserve this? My parents taught me to take my Cystic Fibrosis medication & hook up my breathing treatments everyday & this is my reward? I lived like this for three & a half years. It felt like a lifetime of suffering. While every other teenager was beginning a new journey through high school and making lasting memories I was dying. My life was over or so I thought. I was unprepared to tell my family what no fifteen year old should ever have to say “I give up. Please let me go” I had a good life but I couldn’t do it anymore. The more I thought about it the less I had the heart to actually look my parents in the eyes with such harsh words. What a selfish situation to put my family through. This conversation would have broken their hearts! All I could think about was causing them pain if I wasn’t here. I had no options left so I did what I’m sure anyone else would do. I prayed. I told God that my strength was too weak and I didn’t think I could make it up the hill much longer. I needed help. I needed a miracle. I had faith. With God all things are possible (Matthew 19:26)

God showed me His love on March 13, 2007. Life hasn’t been an easy road for me the past ten years but the time in between is precious. I cherish every little moment as it comes. I see my family & my husband smiling back at me through the exceptional times of my life while I silently thank The Lord that he didn’t let me go like I wanted to all those years ago.

So, Here I am at twenty five years old. I owe it all to my parents & my grandmother who never gave up on me. I survived. I made it. I won. I believed in my strength while I carried my heavy baggage up the hill & I reached the top. I’ll be damned if I don’t smile everyday for the rest of my life.

For this I have learned: God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. (1 Corinthians 10:13) AND Everything is possible for one who believes (Mark 9:23)

Join me in Prayer
Father,
Shine extra light on my donor family today. Comfort them during times of grief & sadness. Lift their never ending burdens & show them the way.
Amen.

]

Celebrating with dinner and dessert at Olive Garden

]

Last edited:

stephen

Super Moderator
Amber,

Mazel Tov!

Your screen name couldn't be more fitting. You do indeed have a Beautiful Soul. Your posts are usually real uppers in a place where they are often badly needed. You're always trying to find the positives in trying situations. It not only enhances your life, but also the lives of many who read your comments.

I'm sure all of us here wish you many more 10th anniversaries.

May the best be yet to come.

Imogene

Administrator
Amber: I agree with Stephen! I think some of even remember the day back 10 years ago when we prayed really hard! You are a miracle!
Salt and Light,
Imogene

jricci

Super Moderator
Amber,
Thanks so much for sharing your inspirational story. I was having a “bad” day. But then I read your post and it made me smile and put things back into perspective for me. Congratulations and Best Wishes for many more happy years ahead.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Wow, Thank you for your kind words Stephen!

Jeanne- The forums kept me going during those difficult times. I loved the chat room. Thank you for your support all these years.

jricci- I'm glad I could lift your spirits up in some small way today. Keep your head up. You got this!

Hugs,

musclemania70

OmyGosh Amber! CONGRATULATIONS and happy transplant anniversary!!!
God is so good!
I feel so much of your same emotions and I am sooooo thrilled for you.
You have been a source of inspiration on here for so many people!
thank you for contributing all your thoughts and advice!
You are a Superstar!!