Celebrex??

So for about two and a half months, I have had this pain between my diaphragm and lung above my stomach. We thought constipation, but even after almost two weeks of not eating (I was really sick!), the pain was still there. Then, I thought moving hiatal hernia but was told that would show in the X-rays and scans. My doctor's conclusion is inflammation from being sick and the irritated lung and diaphragm rubbing each other. Although I am not entirely convinced, since it only hurts on the side with my stomach, now I just want something to ease the pain. Tylenol doesn't work and I can't take Ibuprofen because it gives me hemoptysis. Any suggestions for the pain? It is really interfering with my life. Anyone tried Celebrex?

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Jeana,

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with Celebrex, but wanted to ask if they have ruled out pancreatitis or gall bladder issues? I have had several bouts of pancreatitis, and also gall bladder issues that sound very similar to the pain you are describing. They pain was pretty central, a tiny bit to the right of my midline, just above my stomach and a tad up under my ribcage. It often sort of radiated through to my back.

I'm assuming these were a couple of the first things thought of, but felt compelled to ask just in case. ;) In my case the pancreatitis was always easy to diagnose with a blood test of my amylase and lipase levels. Then a few years ago I started have a pain that felt VERY similar to pancreatitis, in fact, I was sure it was pancreatitis, but blood tests showed it was not. An ultrasound showed thickening of the wall of my gall bladder and sludge in the duct, but no actual stones. They followed the ultrasound up with a HIDA scan that showed my gall bladder is almost non-functioning. They started me on Actigall and recommended removing the gall bladder. Luckily enough the Actigall did the trick and I have not had the pain return so have not had it removed. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, just wanted to share my story in case it helped in any way. I'm so sorry you're in pain and I hope you find some relief soon!

Take care,

Autumn

Autumn,
Thanks for your reply. My pain is way to the left. �� And actually, my CF doctors have not looked into it at all.

stylecomfy

I currently use a low dose of Celebrex once per day and I find it effective for reducing overall inflammation and achiness, but for me it doesn't relieve very intense pain (probably due to the low dose). If yours is severe pain and long lasting, it would be better to get to the root of the problem as it could be one of many things, and Celebrex could even worsen it e.g. in the case of a stomach ulcer. You may need to insist that you CF team assists you to rule out serious concerns. If it ends up just being inflammation then Celebrex could help, however as I understand this drug has similarities to ibuprofen and if you can take that, I don't know if Celebrex may cause similar problem for you. Anyway good luck.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
My hope is you have seen or talked with your doctor. Hopefully you are getting some relief. Not to presume to advise, but with the nebulous nature of your pain, if I couldn't be seen, I would be asking for something to address the pain. Untreated pain is not something you can endure without consequences. Like any other CF issue, the effect is cumulative.

I used to take Celebrex. If you have problems with ibuprofen, chances are very good that Celebrex is not going to be any better. Also an NSAID, it's side effects are proportionally stronger (worse) as is the benefit. An antiinflammatory drug probably won't improve the pain you describe if my suspicions are correct. (Stylecomfy, I had been working on this post when you added your contribution, I don't mean to be redundant).

Triples15 has listed the same conditions and the most revealing tests I would have. Keep in mind that every illustration of the abdominal structures paints the transverse colon, much lower than it actually fits, to illustrate the organs behind it. The transverse colon fits against and up under the front ribcage, wedged against the liver and a bit of the diaphragm. Your stomach is quite a ways up into the rib cage, the upper stomach is even with the bottom of the left pectoral muscle.

My interest is the junction of the esophagus and diaphragm. This is the Grand Central Terminal for many organs and organ systems. The splanchnic nerves nerves erupt through the vertebrae in the neck and travel along the "oral process", from the mouth on either side of the esophagus down through the diaphragm, wrapped around the stomach and intestines. They wad up just below the diaphragm as do huge veins and arteries, making it one of the most anatomically congested areas in the body.

These powerful nerves enervate the stomach and most of the abdomen. What is commonly known as the "solar plexus" is technically the celiac plexus. This "ganglion" provides the coordinating operations of digestion or liver functions, releasing the brain to perform more important functions. That is until something like a stuck gallstone sends relatively peaceful nerves into a panic. Unfortunately the mysterious and hard to pronounce splanchnic nerves are more accustomed to giving orders, making nonsense out of incoming signals, not so much. In other words your brain doesn't receive a signal that seems to relate to the gallbladder, pancreas, liver and such. The possibility of a bile stone, a gallstone assuming that you have a gallbladder, can produce exquisite epigastric pain. Sometimes it takes on the tone of a seriously sour stomach, heartburn or a stuck bit of air, a burp that really hurts. Both pancreatitis and a gallbladder attack can give you a higher back ache. But all of this is on the left side.

Pain on the left side could be a pleural effusion. Sort of like what the doctors are saying except for what's rubbing, and where. I've had pleural effusion on the left side a few times. It's been painful and virtually painless, depending on the episode. The latter has a gurgling sensation associated with it and for me at least I'm going to be hocking up a hemoptysis in the very near future. Pleural effusion is an infection between the pleural membranes. Depending on the type of infection, the membranes tend to adhere or slip easily past each other. If the infection is affecting both membranes at the same spot, adhesions and painful rubbing goes on.

The painless pleural effusions I have had began as abdominal infections, pancreatitis one time and a common theme amongst CFers, diverticulosis, turned diverticulitis, on a couple of occasions. The latter of my painless bouts of pleural effusion describe the closest thing to your painful experience.

You mentioned that you have been sick, not eating a lot and very likely, not drinking water and electrolytes in adequate quantity. Our transverse colon tucks tightly into the upper quadrants of the abdomen and few areas of the colon are more vulnerable to the stress of whatever food is turning around the corner. If you are a bit constipated, okay, a bit more than usual, coughing, straining on the toilet and just being sick could cause a flare up of a diverticulitis. Even a single eruption could be quite painful, possibly excruciating. If this is the case, antibiotics fit the bill, sorry.

Hope you feel better soon,
LL

Thank you for your thorough answer LittleLab. The reason I wanted to try Celebrex is because it is supposed to be a non blood thinner unlike other NSAIDS. As I write this though the pain is gone...for now. I did have hemoptysis 3 times this week, as well as 3 nosebleeds, due to blood thinning I believe. But now that I am off the pain meds for a while, hopefully that goes away. Also, I was on IV meds just recently, so I probably (fingers crossed) do not need antibiotics.

I do have gastric emptying issues and chronic constipation, so I'm guessing this is the most likely cause for the irritation. And I'm guessing maybe the pain just outlasted the constipation. Also I had a feeding tube (G-J) placed and hopefully that will help. Now to find the proper balance of Miralax! ��

windex125

JL I hope your feeling better today, I have used Celebrex in the past for pain and it did help -I had my gallbladder out many years ago, that's what I thought of first when I read yr pain spot. My issues hv been more lung related than digestive - but have had those as well going on. Since my left lung collapsed years ago I have now Medialshift from the larynx down so everything from that point is being pushed to the opposite side I get pain on and off esp. between my breasts, with eating the esophagus is moved abt 2" which causes food to get stuck, and it pains to drink to push it down. I did ask the doctor for something stronger, and she did give it to me, but I take it only if the pain lasts longer than a day. I as well though I had a hernia at one time, but tests proved not. But don't give up on getting to the bottom of your problem, over the years I've let a lot of stuff go without answers, big mistake don't do it. I just did 2 wks IV's a few months ago all was going well then the 11th day I woke up covered in hives. So we cut that short by a week. Most of all try if at all possible not to get frustrated, with the waiting game, and or tests that may hv to be done. I feel at this point in my life with all I have to do to take care, I do not want pain added to the list. Good Luck. Pat.