CF: Accepting and Living Your Life with CF

enniob

Administrator
Staff member
Now online! How do you talk to people about CF? Go to http://bit.ly/Nzo4oU to watch CF patients, caregivers and experts share their personal stories on accepting CF and how they describe CF to others.
Being open about CF may help strengthen your support systems and help you deal with CF’s day-to-day issues.

The video features:
  • LaCrecia Britton, CF Coordinator, RN and CPNP
  • America’s Got Talent finalists, Ali and Christina Christensen, and their parents
  • Ronnie Sharpe, CF patient, author of RunSickBoyRun.com

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Thanks for sharing this Ennio. I will check it out :) Ali and Christina are great role models for young women with CF and Ronnie does very well with motivating Cfers to exercise and stay healthy! Inspiration is everywhere...

C

CFChallenge2012

Welcome to the website of: Stichting (Foundation) CF-Challenge 2012, walking to ' my ' top. Let me introduce myself. I'm Carla van Asseldonk and live in the pretty village of Zeeland in the Dutch province of North Brabant, the Netherlands. I have four wonderful children, all have wonderful partners and I have a beautiful grandchild, called "Mijs". In addition, I am surrounded by many people I love dearly: family, friends, neighborhood, acquaintances, working groups and medical institutions. Since my birth (1955) I have cystic fibrosis (CF) and I am one of the 10 oldest persons with CF in the Netherlands. Due to the support I receive from my family and friends, my optimism and the staff at CF Center Oost Nederland it is possible for me lead my life as normal as possible: 'I have CF, but I am more than someone with CF'.

Friday May 18th 2012, I was climbing the Alpe d'Huez on foot with my 'walking' sister Anneke and other interested persons and under the guidance of Ellen, my pulmonary care nurse and Hanny, my physical therapist. I will collect money in order to stimulate physical activities for children and young people with CF by raising funds for the CF Center Oost Nederland: locations UCCZ Dekkerswald and UMC St Radboud Nijmegen. Within the CF Center Oost Nederland the team created a community for people with CF. Children and young people can write a challenge to get money from the foundation. This can be everything. Perhaps they will do a special sort of sport and their parents don't have money to pay the contribution or the materials, they want to make a survival with family or friends, they want to make a wald of 3 miles and afterwards they may eat pancakes with the whole family or friends, ans do on. This will be called "MyCallenge".

Cystic fibrosis is a hereditary disease where a limited life expectancy is most common. The condition is chronic and there is no cure. CF causes thick, tough mucus causing digestive problems, especially in the intestines and the pancreas. It causes respiratory problems and infections. In the Netherlands 1300 people have CF, half of which is younger than 18 years.

Fortunately, thanks to better treatment methods the life expectancy for people with CF has increased in recent years! To further increase life expectancy and quality of life it is extremely important that (young) people with CF are physically active. The website will help them to be physically active in a way that promotes their health.

Therefore, with the CF Challenge walk 2012, walk to ' my ' top, on May 18th 2012 I raised money for the CF Centre Oost Nederland.

Many people, young and old, with and without CF supported this CF Challenge 2012, walk to 'my' top and on September 2 2012 the notary give a cheque to the CF Centrum Oost Nederland with € 23.713,68!

Thanks for helping to make the CF Challenge 2012 a great success!
Carla van Asseldonk

epicurus

Greetings from Australia!

Just a note to say I have been greatly enjoying this forum and reading about other people's experiences with CF.
Thanks!

ellie12xx

I think Ali and Christina christiensen are very inspirational to me and other cfers!! I have cf and i found learning about them very helpful to helping me through my life with cf! I watched both of epicurus' videos, i like them too :) i am 13, i have cf and i want to meet more people with cf, so please send me a friend request if you do too!! xxxxxx my name is ellie by the wayy xxx