cf and migraines?

redeemedchild

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff>Do any of you know if there is any direct correlation between cf and migraines?Kevin has always had these horrible migraines, the docs have said that they are related to his sinus problems, which we now know are realted to the cf....So, do yall all have migraines as well?  I am just trying to see how many of Kevin's health problems are coming from the cf.God bless,pam</FONT>

anonymous

I have horrible headaches all the time. It is caused from my sinus problem also. They are not migranes though. They are sinus headaches, just like anyone can get and most people do from time to time. I guess some people with CF gets them more, b/c we have more of a problem with our sinus' and stuff.

anonymous

Yes...I am 31 and have terrible sinus headaches as well....I dont believe they are migraines. They definitely are as bad as migraines though. Even make me sick to my stomach at times....I've had 4 sinus surgeries since May...and need another. The sinuses of a CF person are worse because the cilia that "sweep" away the mucous dont work as well because the mucous is thicker than normal. More than likely......most if not all of his problems are CF related. I have had a headache now that has lasted since May...so I feel for him and understand exactly what hes going through in that aspect. Take care...
Dea

eggshell

I have terrible headaches too and i don't know what its related to. My doctor never told me that i had sinus problems maybe next vivit she will have to evaluate further because i am tired of taking advil.

Diane

I have had migraines for years. I dont believe mine are due to sinus problems because i started getting migraine headaches LONG before i had any type of sinus problems. My mom and my brother ( both non cf) also get migraines and so did my grandmother, so in my case its probably hereditary. Also i forgot to mention two other things that bring on migraines for me....Aspartame( nutra sweet) and the antibiotic bactrim, I completely avoid ANYTHING that contains nutrasweet and i only take bactrim when its absolutely necessary.

~Diane 39 / cf / diabetes / b.cepacia

ladybug

Hi,
I have migraines once and awhile that seem to be caused by stress. My CF doc had me get a CT scan of my sinuses and had the ENT doc look at it to make sure it was not a sinus issue. The ENT said of course, having CF I have some blockage in my sinuses, but his opinion was that it wasn't causing the migraines. It would be worth having a scan and consulting with an ENT to rule out sinus issues, but not all CF patients have issues with sinuses that lead to migraines, nor do all CF patients have issues with sinuses at all. I have found relief from midrin (prescribed for migraines)... I usually have serious nausea and different visual lights, distortions, etc. along with a terrible headache making me sensitive to light/sound. If this sounds like what you're having, it may be helpful to try a medication to control the migraines whether they're caused by sinuses or stress or anything. Good luck!