Cf and religion

Mockingbird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>translation= you could care less</end quote></div>

No. Translation= I would expect a Christian to understand more about her own faith than a non-Christian.

That's the point I've been trying to make to you this whole conversation.

Mockingbird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>translation= you could care less</end quote></div>

No. Translation= I would expect a Christian to understand more about her own faith than a non-Christian.

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>translation= you could care less</end quote>

Mockingbird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>translation= you could care less</end quote>

coltsfan715

I am not trying to make you feel like a bully, but the way I read what you replied to mockingbird was argumentative - I may be wrong but that is how I took it.

As for my comment on taking her side - I have had discussions with her in the past and I have completely NOT agreed with her that is why I said I must take her side on this. Though I don't do that often I had to agree with her this go round.

As for the whole religion argument - I personally feel that the phrases and practices you mentioned have a right to be involved in our government practices because thios country was in large part founded on those ideas. I do think that there could be alternatives for people in some situations that do not fit into a religious sect - but the idea of removing religion from all schools, money, the pledge and so on confuses me because that is what this country was founded on. Those were the beliefs that were taken at that time and to negate them now make sme think what do the people running our country now think about the foundation of our country. I went to school with plenty of kids that did not practice or believe in God and they did not participate in things like the pledge or what have you. We were not allowed time for prayers - even when one of our own classmates was hit by a car and on a ventilator - it was called a moment of silence.

As much as I agree that many people with deeply religious beliefs ram things down the throat of others that believe differently I don't believe that having these things present in our government is doing so - I think it is just showing our heritage and the foundation upon which our country was born. You may agree and that is fine - but what you are saying about "overbearing religious zealots" I believe to be true ... this is actually why I do not go to church anymore because I was tired of having things thrown in my face or watching others over do it when talking to "non-believers".

My personal opinion on religion though yes I believe in God and Jesus is this - NO ONE knows everything .. NO ONE. I don't care who you are or what you do or where you get your information, no one knows everything about our world or God or whether or not there is one. I personally look around and think the world is too complex to have just occured on its own, but that is my opinion. No one knows all on this planet, so my thoughts .. I don't understand how anyone can say that if you do not believe one way or another you are not going to heaven or what have you. I personally feel that so long as you believe what you believe with the whole of your heart and you dedicate yourself to that belief then you are fine. You are a believer .. just not in what I believe. I try to talk to people openly about how I feel and listen to how others feel about religion or anything. My problem lies in when someone feels the need to berate me or my beliefs because they are not the same as their own, I try not to do that to others and don't appreciate it when it is done to me. (FYI- I am not saying you are doing that just a generality).

To each his own -

and also to add - being that I do believe in God and Jesus and I am an adult .. I will add that I think I am of right mind in believing those things. Do you ever hear things - like a bird chirping and you know it is a bird .. do you look to see if it is a bird before maknig that assumption .. if yes great for you if no then that is the same thing. You are an adult of right mind and you hear something you associate with a bird and you think it is a bird even though it may not be. I personally have beliefs that make me feel there is a God and from what I have experienced and learned through my life that is my assumption. I may be wrong ... but then again you may be too.

Take Care and Have a Good Day,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I am not trying to make you feel like a bully, but the way I read what you replied to mockingbird was argumentative - I may be wrong but that is how I took it.

As for my comment on taking her side - I have had discussions with her in the past and I have completely NOT agreed with her that is why I said I must take her side on this. Though I don't do that often I had to agree with her this go round.

As for the whole religion argument - I personally feel that the phrases and practices you mentioned have a right to be involved in our government practices because thios country was in large part founded on those ideas. I do think that there could be alternatives for people in some situations that do not fit into a religious sect - but the idea of removing religion from all schools, money, the pledge and so on confuses me because that is what this country was founded on. Those were the beliefs that were taken at that time and to negate them now make sme think what do the people running our country now think about the foundation of our country. I went to school with plenty of kids that did not practice or believe in God and they did not participate in things like the pledge or what have you. We were not allowed time for prayers - even when one of our own classmates was hit by a car and on a ventilator - it was called a moment of silence.

As much as I agree that many people with deeply religious beliefs ram things down the throat of others that believe differently I don't believe that having these things present in our government is doing so - I think it is just showing our heritage and the foundation upon which our country was born. You may agree and that is fine - but what you are saying about "overbearing religious zealots" I believe to be true ... this is actually why I do not go to church anymore because I was tired of having things thrown in my face or watching others over do it when talking to "non-believers".

My personal opinion on religion though yes I believe in God and Jesus is this - NO ONE knows everything .. NO ONE. I don't care who you are or what you do or where you get your information, no one knows everything about our world or God or whether or not there is one. I personally look around and think the world is too complex to have just occured on its own, but that is my opinion. No one knows all on this planet, so my thoughts .. I don't understand how anyone can say that if you do not believe one way or another you are not going to heaven or what have you. I personally feel that so long as you believe what you believe with the whole of your heart and you dedicate yourself to that belief then you are fine. You are a believer .. just not in what I believe. I try to talk to people openly about how I feel and listen to how others feel about religion or anything. My problem lies in when someone feels the need to berate me or my beliefs because they are not the same as their own, I try not to do that to others and don't appreciate it when it is done to me. (FYI- I am not saying you are doing that just a generality).

To each his own -

and also to add - being that I do believe in God and Jesus and I am an adult .. I will add that I think I am of right mind in believing those things. Do you ever hear things - like a bird chirping and you know it is a bird .. do you look to see if it is a bird before maknig that assumption .. if yes great for you if no then that is the same thing. You are an adult of right mind and you hear something you associate with a bird and you think it is a bird even though it may not be. I personally have beliefs that make me feel there is a God and from what I have experienced and learned through my life that is my assumption. I may be wrong ... but then again you may be too.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

To each his own -

Lindsey

coltsfan715

To each his own -

Lindsey

coltsfan715

To each his own -

Lindsey

Solo

Hey Lindsey. I have a few quirks about your remarks. When you say the country was founded on Christianity, you're right, and you're wrong. You see the founding fathers made a seperation of church and state to keep state safe from religion; not the other way around. The truth is, a handful of the founding fathers were probably diests, although wouldn't admit to it back then. One can figure this out by some of their writings. For instance Adams was clearly a diest. Thomas Jefferson even wrote his own version of the bible in which he didn't include Jesus's miracles.
Now opposed to saying the pledge, we are all guaranteed the right to refuse to say it via the first amendment. To tell you the truth it really doesn't bother me all that much, I just omit the "In God" part. Opposed to money I just cross out the "In God We Trust" emblem and spend it as usual. Everyplace takes it, I had no problems.

You say you believe in God and Jesus and you are of right mind. I'm sure that's true. But you do live in the US right? Well, everywhere one goes they face indoctrination, from Jesus fish on cars to "WWJD" bumper stickers to radio broadcasts to television commercials. Even if you are a complete recluse you will not be safe from indoctrination. If you are told a lie so many times you will eventually let your guard down and start to accept it- no matter how ludicris it is. Especially a young child. Now if he goes to school and his teachers and most of his classmates talk as if there is a giant survellience camera in the sky then what possible need will there be for him to question this? He will continue to grow and mature, but never let go of his God belief. Now I'm not saying he is stupid, just misinformed that's all. This is how the evolution of religion creeps into the minds of adults; it's far from instantaneous, it's gradual.

You're right, nonone knows everything, but again that is no reason to believe without evidence. It would be like putting a cape on and jumping off your house because a DC comic says you can fly. I totally agree that this world seems far to complex to be by accident; after all if you drop some lumbar on the ground, will it eventually materialize into a house? No, it's needs a prime mover, something or someone to spark it; set it in motion. But a supernatural diety is beyond any observation, and quite frankly, hard to swallow.

Mockingbird, you would be right in expecting a Christian to understand his faith better, but I have been on the other side of the fence; therefore I feel I am in an ideal position to see which side has more broken pillars in it's doctrinal foundation. And Christianity is about as strong as a paper house in a hurricane.

Solo

Hey Lindsey. I have a few quirks about your remarks. When you say the country was founded on Christianity, you're right, and you're wrong. You see the founding fathers made a seperation of church and state to keep state safe from religion; not the other way around. The truth is, a handful of the founding fathers were probably diests, although wouldn't admit to it back then. One can figure this out by some of their writings. For instance Adams was clearly a diest. Thomas Jefferson even wrote his own version of the bible in which he didn't include Jesus's miracles.
Now opposed to saying the pledge, we are all guaranteed the right to refuse to say it via the first amendment. To tell you the truth it really doesn't bother me all that much, I just omit the "In God" part. Opposed to money I just cross out the "In God We Trust" emblem and spend it as usual. Everyplace takes it, I had no problems.

You say you believe in God and Jesus and you are of right mind. I'm sure that's true. But you do live in the US right? Well, everywhere one goes they face indoctrination, from Jesus fish on cars to "WWJD" bumper stickers to radio broadcasts to television commercials. Even if you are a complete recluse you will not be safe from indoctrination. If you are told a lie so many times you will eventually let your guard down and start to accept it- no matter how ludicris it is. Especially a young child. Now if he goes to school and his teachers and most of his classmates talk as if there is a giant survellience camera in the sky then what possible need will there be for him to question this? He will continue to grow and mature, but never let go of his God belief. Now I'm not saying he is stupid, just misinformed that's all. This is how the evolution of religion creeps into the minds of adults; it's far from instantaneous, it's gradual.

You're right, nonone knows everything, but again that is no reason to believe without evidence. It would be like putting a cape on and jumping off your house because a DC comic says you can fly. I totally agree that this world seems far to complex to be by accident; after all if you drop some lumbar on the ground, will it eventually materialize into a house? No, it's needs a prime mover, something or someone to spark it; set it in motion. But a supernatural diety is beyond any observation, and quite frankly, hard to swallow.

Mockingbird, you would be right in expecting a Christian to understand his faith better, but I have been on the other side of the fence; therefore I feel I am in an ideal position to see which side has more broken pillars in it's doctrinal foundation. And Christianity is about as strong as a paper house in a hurricane.

Solo

Solo

Solo

coltsfan715

I am fully aware of the whole separation of church and state and I like the idea of that - my comments are geared towards the idea that our country was founded on many principles ... many of which are based in religion ad the morality of it. I think there are many things today that the government need not be concerned with (such as gay marriage ... because saying that the bible defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman and denying the right to many for that reason is crazy to me - as I tell family and friends . What if this country were founded by gays and lesbians and they denied the "straight" members of society the right to wed .. it doesn't quite seem fair when the shoe is on the other foot) but nonetheless they are. I just don't see why it is so urgent to change a basis of our country something that has been for a great majority of our existance as a country. That is another issue entirely and honestly don't even want to deal with it.

This is an argument or discussion that will never end. My goal is not to convince you of anything, but simply to state what I believe. Be it naive to you or not I believe in God I believe in Jesus and I have experienced things in my life that I can say have me resting assured that I am not crazy nor am I believing something I have never experienced. I am not saying I have seen God or Jesus because I have not - simply saying I have experienced very personal moments that not many in my life believe or understand and due to that my feelings on the subject are firmly cemented in belief and faith and experiences.

Either way I just choose to live my life in what I feel is a proper way and that is that.

I will continue to believe and you most likely will not believe the same as me, which is fine. I will say that I do agree with you when you say it is easy to convince children of something and inundate people with a belief. I also do not feel that is where my belief has come from. I turned away from God for many years growing up after experiencing loss after loss and hardship after hardship it took me a long while and I read alot of things and nothing ever really resonated within me from any one religion. I instead found portions of many religions that I find feel "right" with me. I consider myself Christian because I believe in Christ, but also feel myself based in other beliefs.

Find what it is you believe - be it that you believe something or believe in the lack of something - and devote yourself to that. Live your life by that belief what you believe is your decision and what I believe is mine. I will not reply after this because honestly we are just talking each other in circles and that is pointless. Like I said this isn't going anywhere.

Best Wishes,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I am fully aware of the whole separation of church and state and I like the idea of that - my comments are geared towards the idea that our country was founded on many principles ... many of which are based in religion ad the morality of it. I think there are many things today that the government need not be concerned with (such as gay marriage ... because saying that the bible defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman and denying the right to many for that reason is crazy to me - as I tell family and friends . What if this country were founded by gays and lesbians and they denied the "straight" members of society the right to wed .. it doesn't quite seem fair when the shoe is on the other foot) but nonetheless they are. I just don't see why it is so urgent to change a basis of our country something that has been for a great majority of our existance as a country. That is another issue entirely and honestly don't even want to deal with it.

This is an argument or discussion that will never end. My goal is not to convince you of anything, but simply to state what I believe. Be it naive to you or not I believe in God I believe in Jesus and I have experienced things in my life that I can say have me resting assured that I am not crazy nor am I believing something I have never experienced. I am not saying I have seen God or Jesus because I have not - simply saying I have experienced very personal moments that not many in my life believe or understand and due to that my feelings on the subject are firmly cemented in belief and faith and experiences.

Either way I just choose to live my life in what I feel is a proper way and that is that.

I will continue to believe and you most likely will not believe the same as me, which is fine. I will say that I do agree with you when you say it is easy to convince children of something and inundate people with a belief. I also do not feel that is where my belief has come from. I turned away from God for many years growing up after experiencing loss after loss and hardship after hardship it took me a long while and I read alot of things and nothing ever really resonated within me from any one religion. I instead found portions of many religions that I find feel "right" with me. I consider myself Christian because I believe in Christ, but also feel myself based in other beliefs.

Find what it is you believe - be it that you believe something or believe in the lack of something - and devote yourself to that. Live your life by that belief what you believe is your decision and what I believe is mine. I will not reply after this because honestly we are just talking each other in circles and that is pointless. Like I said this isn't going anywhere.

Best Wishes,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Best Wishes,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Best Wishes,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Best Wishes,
Lindsey