CF Babies ?, switching from formula to milk???

anonymous

My daughter Hayley who has CF, just turned one about a week ago. Her family doctor says I can start switching her to regular milk gradually. The CF team says that as well. I am just worried about her losing weight if I switch her from formula. I am considering doing the toddler formula, like Enfamil Next Step. I am wondering if anyone with young CFers can comment as to how they made the switch and how their kids did with eating solids and if they lost any weight! SHe is still eacting about 3 jars of Stage 2 baby food per day and about 25-30 ounces of formula. SHe will eat Cherrios and anything that is like a cracker (all the Gerber Baby stuff, the veggies puffs, veggies crackers, ect) but really doesn't care for actual people food yet ( green beans, spaghetti, ect.) Any advice offered or if you can just share how your baby did I would appreciate it.

Hayley is currently 22 pounds( 50%) and about 28 (25%) inches long.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

Becky, Mom to Nathan, 4 years old without CF and Hayley 1 year old with CF

Melissa04281

my son was strickly breastfed until 17 months.. he ate some table food but not much, i was nervous when i stopped breastfeeding that he would lose weight, when i introduced milk he didnt like it at all so i started with pediasure. and i created a monster cause thats his favorite is vanilla pediasure, he is now 3.5 and still doesnt like milk although he does have a few swigs of it every now and again.. but he is drinking 5+ cans of pediasure a day and he is 75% for weight... so maybe you could introduce pediasure.. ask the doc first though....

Melissa

anonymous

Happy Birthday Haley! Her weight is excellent!! Try not to worry about it so much at this point since she is doing so well. Just feed her like you did your four year old when she was a baby. You can always make changes later if she starts to have weight issues. I think as parents of kids with cf we tend to stress out about eating issues and often create more eating problems for our kids.

I didn't notice a change in weight when I switched over my children (both with cf) to whole milk. You can add carnation instant breakfast, etc. to the milk. At one -ears old babies should gradually be getting more calories from food now and less reliant on milk. Some cfers, like my three-year old, tend to have challenges (being picky, food refusal, won't feed herself, etc) when it comes to eating. I would start really encouraging table foods, cheese, yogarts, cut up fruits and veggies, soft meats, etc. My second was also born with cf, so I knew that I should encourage eating early. I started feeding him those foods about 7 or 8 months and he has done really well, thankfully. Also, encourage your daughter to feed herself as much as possible.

Sharon, mom of Sophia, 3 and Jack, 18 months both with cf

anonymous

Thank you so much for your reply! We are trying more solid foods, but she just doesn't seem interested unless in has a cracker like texture. Usually she will pick it up, look at it and then throw it on the floor. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of foods does you 18 month old eat on a daily basis? Could you give me an example of what he may eat and drink in a normal day? How much does he weigh? Thank you in advance for your help! I can only imagine how busy you are trying to keep up with two small children both with CF! God Bless you for visiting this message board and trying to help others!!!

Thanks,
Becky

anonymous

Thank for the reply! I have read about numerous other CFers on Pediasure. I would like to try and avoid it in the beginning if possible due to the expense! BUt I am so glad your child is doing so well!!! 75% for weight is awesome!!! Thanks again!

Becky

anonymous

My babies nutritionist switched my babies from prejestimil to Similac and I thought the same thing. I was so worried that I put some strawberry in their bottles!! LOL, what a nut! But really they drink it just fine without it. One of my babies loves the vanilla instant breakfast in hers. She sucks it down like its nothing!!!

Good luck!

anonymous

Becky,

At 18 months, Jack weighs 28 pounds (I think around 70% for weight). He is also in the 95 percentile for height. So he just looks healthy, but not chubby by any means. My three and a half year old daughter weighed 28 pounds about six months ago. She has gained four pounds since then thankfully. A much needed four pounds!!

I try to serve Jack and Sophia what I feed our family for dinner. But he loves cheese, yogurts, Chef-boy-r-dee raviolis, any type of pasta, bananas, fruit. His weight is good, so when he says dinner is over and most of the time it is with in a few minutes; I just let him get down. My daughter takes about 30 minutes to eat, and I often think she doesn't get as many calories in a day as he does.

I give Jack water to drink all day and at meals. I give him milk (9 ounces) three times a day after meals. I still give it to him in a bottle - I need to switch him over soon to a cup.

Yes, I am busy with Sophia and Jack. But they are such blessings. I am so thankful that God has given them to my husband and I and for all of the medications and treatments that we have to keep them healthy. My husband thinks we are busy enough, but I would love to adopt two more kids.
Sharon, mom to Sophia, 3 and Jack, 18 months both with cf