CF Foundation attendance policy

Radies

Below is a snippet from the CF foundations page regarding indoor events attendance policy.

"To further help reduce the risk of cross-infection, the Foundation's attendance policy recommends inviting only one person with CF to attend the indoor portion of a Foundation-sponsored event at a specific time."

I'm a huge supporter of the foundation and its mission, but as someone with CF, I find this policy not only demeaning and insulting, but discriminatory. We are adults, and capable of making decisions about the risks we choose to take in life. If we want to smoke, drink, or live on an island surrounded only by people with CF then we can make those bad choices and live with the consequences. Right?

I've never been told I couldn't attend an event because I have CF until last year, and then again this year (same event). My wife and I want to attend a fundraiser event, but they will not let me attend because I have CF. I'm really not sure why they feel like they are responsible for deciding the risks I'm allowed to take.

I'm curious to know if others have experienced anything (good or bad) regarding this policy and what your thoughts are.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Yes, you can decide the risks you want as can others with cf, but it may well be the person with cf who is the guest speaker or honoree doesn't want to take that risk and believes that others with cf will honor the policy and not put them at risk.

W

welshwitch

I have to say, though I understand the medical reasons behind the policy, it still makes me feel like absolute garbage. Agree on the discrimination and it feeling insulting. Do any other diseases have policies like this?

To combat these feelings, I engage in therapy, meditation, and exercise :) And try not to let it get me down too much. What else can you really do?

static

I think it has more to do with insurance and lawsuits than anything else.

Not saying it is good or bad, it's just the way it is.

If a medical facility openly invites multiple C.F. people in a room and one gets sick they could be held partially responsible.

However when we really think about it how much control does the average person have on deciciding who they get to be next to in life. That person at the grocery store, sitting next to you in class, working alongside you. Most people, myself included, don't advertise they are sick. When we are going about our daily lives we have no knowledge of who it is and who it isn't okay to be around. Some risks we just take, as does everyone else.

For myself it just isn't worth it. I try not to get lost in the hysteria but if I did knowlingly get sick going to an event, or for someone else sick, I'd feel terrible. As for the everyday risks, sometimes ignorance is bliss.