CF friendly careers?

RobinB29

Hi all, I'm 29, have CF and have not worked due to health issues these last four years. I'm changing my degree plans to something with a varying schedule (private investigator) and I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas or ways to work in your treatments and medical routines into a career? I'm going to be done with my degree in a year and I really want to have a good plan to stay on top of my health when I get back out there. Any career/work tips or ideas would be great to hear. Thanks :)

Simba15

Yes! Pick a varying schedule. If you can be self employed it is best IMO. You make your own hours based on how you feel. I was "let go" in retaliation for having CF. I will never disclose it on the job again - ever. Under FMLA you don't have to but I didn't know that. You can put "breathing issues" on a FMLA form. Children and teens get a lot of sympathy for having CF. Not adults. No one knows what it is and no one cares. CF is not cancer or another one of the "big ones" and all the employer sees is that you are going to cost them money by being absent. Sorry for sounding negative - it based on my personal experience which has been very negative with employers.

W

welshwitch

Look for somewhere with great benefits, sick leave, and a predictable schedule. (Ie, I vote for 9 to 5 versus a startup where you work around the clock -- I've worked at both :)

I work at a nonprofit org that's a community center. It's great. Lots of people there have families, so there is an understanding that Life comes up and your work is not your identity. The same goes for illness. It's the type of place where people stay home when they are sick instead of coming in -- it's not a workoholic culture. Also, my workplace has a nice benefit of being the type of place where people feel comfortable talking about things like health. Coworkers write about their cancer struggles or serious surgeries and it's not taboo. I haven't made my CF public, but I feel like if the time came they would have my back and I would not be "punished" for having CF.

Beccamom

I agree with don't disclose. Employers see cancer as either a short term problem for them because either you will be treatment a length of time or if it extends you won't be back to work. They look at CF as either you just have asthma and are making up how sick you are or you will always be too sick to work and so they don't want you to work at all. Either way the CFer looses. I made the mistake of telling one co-worker and word must have gotten to my boss because she seems to be trying to get rid of me by acting like she is helping. I have a part time contract so guaranteed hours. She keeps offering me per visit where I chose how many kids I work with at any given time, but she choses if she offers me any kids at all. Since I have gone out of work on short term disability twice and she has to find people to take my caseload I am too much work for her and so if Im not guaranteed hours I doubt I will be offered any. My performance review is in a short time and she has not even observed me in the past year working since I work in people's homes.

i suggest working for a company with more then 50 employees and see if you can get a job where if you don't come for a short term disability time you don't affect your boss or co-workers. My husband is an airline pilot and if takes a military leave no one in his company cares since to the, he is just a number in the computer schedule.

Yes! Pick a varying schedule. If you can be self employed it is best IMO. You make your own hours based on how you feel. I was "let go" in retaliation for having CF. I will never disclose it on the job again - ever. Under FMLA you don't have to but I didn't know that. You can put "breathing issues" on a FMLA form. Children and teens get a lot of sympathy for having CF. Not adults. No one knows what it is and no one cares. CF is not cancer or another one of the "big ones" and all the employer sees is that you are going to cost them money by being absent. Sorry for sounding negative - it based on my personal experience which has been very negative with employers.

I agree on not disclosing. I didn't realize you can list "difficulty breathing" on FMLA forms. I was up front and informative with my boss and coworkers at a former employer and soon after taking FMLA once for my son our company was reorganized, but my position was the only one let go. In my current work, I didn't disclose at all until I learned that my boss and her boss both had kids with serious chronic illnesses and took time as needed from their company. I'd suggest getting in and working hard and having vague doctor's notes/explanations until you are sure you're in a safe environment. Most companies don't see CF as anything other than an employee wasting their time and money. It's unfortunate, but part of reality. I'm very lucky in that my current position allows me to work remotely when necessary and I always go above and beyond to make sure I don't put more of a workload on my coworkers when I'm out of the office. I'm not sure what type of career to encourage my son to explore. I want him to be successful in life and be happy in his career, but I also know the realities are it makes it harder to find work that will be flexible.

RobinB29

I've had negative experience with employers as well, one supervisor called me into a meeting and told me I should wear a mask because I was worrying staff and patrons with my cough. (She knew I had CF and that it wasn't contagious.) Anyway, benefits aren't so much an issue, my husband is retiring from the Army in 6 years and we'll have Tricare Prime for life, which alleviates a lot of pressure. We were planning to both become private investigators and open our own business but I thought we might need to work elsewhere while we gain experience before venturing out on our own. My main concern is I want to be able to set up an office with a nebulizer supply and machine and I was wondering about the possibility of obtaining a second vest machine, anyone ever done that?

tbourcier22

I have had problems with this same thing recently. I have a few associate degrees in Science, Communications, and Liberal Arts. As I was continuing my education, I had every intention of attending med school. After a long chat with my doc and others, I decided that it was not in my best interest to attend med school and put myself into an environment that would harbor a great amount of bacteria and other hindrances. I began to pursue a degree in Biology with dual minors in Chemistry and Psychology. I graduated with my Bachelor's in 2011. I did a bit of teaching at a local university as an adjunct faculty professor. I am now seeking full time employment and finding it difficult to find conditions in which my CF is not a problem. I have been finding problems such as chemical fumes, trouble finding a career with benefits for insurance, etc. I am debating on going back to school to obtain a Ph.D. in Neuroscience ecology perhaps. I was accepted to a college out of my state to go for my Ph.D. and found a great deal of political issues with insurance that does not transfer because it is state funded and so forth. I am currently applying to places in my area.

S

sdeuber

I have been in software sales (as a sales engineer) for over 15 years. Great flexibility. Work mostly from home so I do not have to deal with commuting and crowded trains or subways.
yes I fly but wash hands frequently, do not do red-eye flights etc. I am pretty much in charge of my schedule - can even take a nap in case I feel worn out.

Tinker_bella

Hi,

I have to agree with many here who have had negative responses from employers and other colleagues when it comes to CF. Unfortunately I've also had a bad experience; I was let go because of it- it was so illegal but thats a whoooole other story. I wouldn't disclose at the time of the interview, but I think this is something that all of us are going to have to deal with whether we like it or not. I think trying to get your degree in something more flexible is a fantastic idea! You'll definitely feel better about things and all the excess stress from employers won't be there.

Right now I'm not able to work, I haven't been for 2 years. I decided to go for my PhD while I wait for my transplants. Good luck with everything!!

static

In summary community work/social work/govt. funded agencies you shouldn't have a problem disclosing your CF, but if you are in the cutthroat world of business where it is all about the dollar I'd look elsewhere.