CF in the City

amlorr94

Hello there! Any CFers in Manhattan? I've got a couple questions for you....

How do you deal with the cigarette smoke and air pollution? It feels constant, especially in the summer, and really aggravates my lungs. I just did two weeks of IV antibiotics and I feel like suddenly I'm coughing again. Even had a couple episodes of hemoptysis. (Checking in with docs today) But I'm so frustrated, I'm doing treatments but it feels like my lungs are constantly tired and inflamed. What do you CF New Yorkers do when walking about the city? Does it bother you as well?

Second question, where are your CF centers? I'm considering checking out Mt. Sinai. Anybody have suggestions or recommendations of who to see? My main team is at Boston Children's but since I'm living here now, I want someone to check in with here.

Thanks

stephen

Super Moderator
amlorr94,

While there are a number of good accredited Adult CF Centers in the New York area, I would highly recommend the one at Columbia University, if it’s convenient for you to get to.

I had attended the Adult CF Center at Mt Sinai, but I think they presently only have a Pediatric Center. Both their Adult and Pediatric accredited centers were discontinued in about 2006. Their Pediatric CF Center was recently restarted.

When the accredited Mt Sinai center was discontinued, I switched to the Columbia University Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program and was extremely pleased. Dr. Emily DiMango is great and I would highly recommend going there.

For reasons of convenience, I now attend the Adult CF center at Long Island Jewish Medical Center. Occasionally I still go back to Dr. DiMango at Columbia for a consultation.

Wishing you the best

Last edited: