CF- the Thief.

azdesertrat

Let me preface this by saying I'm not the type to whine about having CF. I was born with it, that's just the way it is.
Not long ago, however, I was thinking how bad CF really sucks.
Thanks to my having CF, Becky & I have been robbed of so many things 'Normal' people take for granted.
We bought our starter house 22 yrs. ago. We've never been able to step up to a bigger, better, nicer house because the money we should be using for a house payment has always been used to try to pay my medical expenses.
I drive a 20 yr. old truck, so does Becky. We've never been able to afford a brand-new vehicle, & never will be able to.
That's the big ticket items we've never been able to afford because of having to pay these medical bills.
We've never been able to have our relationship recognized in front of our family & friends, to be married legally. If we do, I'll lose many of my medical benefits. Without these bennies, there is no way I could pay for my medical care. This just plain sucks.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to have what we do. At least our 20 yr. old vehicles run good. At least our 'starter house' is paid for.
I'm grateful we can afford for me to go see my family in ID. every year & we can go see her family in WI. usually every year or two.
It's just frustrating that it seems we're stuck where we are, and we're not going to ever going to be able to buy a bigger, nicer house, or get ahead after all the hard work we've put in. Becky works 6 days a week, anywhere from 12-14 hrs. a day. When I was working I worked 5-6 days a week with the same, if not more hours per day.
Our house measures 700 square ft. & it sits on a lot that is 60X30. Not that large...
How many of you out there are in the same boat? What have you done to circumvent so many of the situations CF puts us in to?
Many times Becky has told people 'Health is Wealth'. Man, is she ever right...
I'd love to hear from anyone regarding these things.
Thanks in advance, stay healthy.

brad.johns

I know exactly how you feel. I get so frustrated because we cannot do what we need to with our house cars etc because the disease is so expensive. When I went back to school I had to find scholarships to pay for it. I was always worried that I would have to quit because I would not be able to pay the tuition bill. Fortunately I was able to find scholarship money for the whole bill. My wife and I know exactly how you feel. It is really hard and is something that the general public does not understand and never will understand.

azdesertrat

Hey Brad. Thanks for your response.
Yea, it seems no matter how hard we work, we're just stuck.
This is something 'normal' people seem to have a problem understanding.
Even members of my immediate family, my brother for instance, don't understand.
They only know part of the physical aspects of the disease, they have no clue about the financial ramifications of the disease.
I know it's probably the same for anyone with a serious chronic disease.
Oh well...
I guess we'll just keep on keepin' on, huh? I guess it's the best we can do.