cfers that are runners

Scarlett81

i need tips for working up stamina for running. i can currently alternate walk/run and go for a max of 3 mins of straight running-without tiring myself.
i'd like to work up to more running.
do you have suggestions for getting to that point?
do you drink water while u run or do u find that it harms your breathing instead of helping?
do u use inhalers?
thanks-i really want to make a lifestyle out of running.

Scarlett81

i need tips for working up stamina for running. i can currently alternate walk/run and go for a max of 3 mins of straight running-without tiring myself.
do you drink water while u run or do u find that it harms your breathing instead of helping?
do u use inhalers?

Scarlett81

do u use inhalers?

Scarlett81

do u use inhalers?

Scarlett81

<br />i'd like to work up to more running.
<br />do you have suggestions for getting to that point?
<br />do you drink water while u run or do u find that it harms your breathing instead of helping?
<br />do u use inhalers?
<br />thanks-i really want to make a lifestyle out of running.

jamie6girl

Christian, I'm glad you posted this. I am feeling the same way. I've slowly been trying to start exercising. I too want to make a major lifestyle change and I want to be one of those people that HAVE to work out every day! I have a coworker that runs like crazy and she loves it and I am sooo JEALOUS. It's a bit warm outside this weekend so I think I'm going to go out and walk tomorrow .<br><br>
Good luck - I hope you are able to make the transition easily. I'm no runner, but I imagine water would help just in case you start coughing, it'll help ease some of that. I hope that it works out for you. Take Care.

jamie6girl

Christian, I'm glad you posted this. I am feeling the same way. I've slowly been trying to start exercising. I too want to make a major lifestyle change and I want to be one of those people that HAVE to work out every day! I have a coworker that runs like crazy and she loves it and I am sooo JEALOUS. It's a bit warm outside this weekend so I think I'm going to go out and walk tomorrow .<br><br>
Good luck - I hope you are able to make the transition easily. I'm no runner, but I imagine water would help just in case you start coughing, it'll help ease some of that. I hope that it works out for you. Take Care.

jamie6girl

jamie6girl

jamie6girl

letsrockcfem

Hey Christian, nice work on wanting to make running a lifestyle! I made that transition about two years ago and love it. The best thing I have ever done for myself.

The idea is to start slow. 3 minutes is good! How long of a workout are you doing? I started with the walk 5 run 2 then worked it up slowly to walk 2 run 5. Now I am up to 5+ miles a day..but I started slowly. Are you running on a treadmill or outside? Obviously running is going to make you tired but when you are running run slowly, like a jog. That was my biggest thing that I just figured out about 6 months into my running. Run at a comfortable pace that you know you can sustain for a while.

I try to drink water when I run if I know I'll be out for more than 3-4 miles. During a 6 mile race I usually drink at the 3 Mile mark. Now that I'm training for this 1/2 marathon I have a hydration belt that I'll be using for long runs. Drinking does not inhibit my breathing one bit. I strong encourage it, your body will need it!

I don't use inhalors because albuterol etc makes my lung function worse. Maybe play with it a little though maybe..run right after inhalors or run the next day right before inhalors but make sure you bring it with you.

Let me know if you have any more questions!! Good luck.
Rock CF,
Em

letsrockcfem

Hey Christian, nice work on wanting to make running a lifestyle! I made that transition about two years ago and love it. The best thing I have ever done for myself.

The idea is to start slow. 3 minutes is good! How long of a workout are you doing? I started with the walk 5 run 2 then worked it up slowly to walk 2 run 5. Now I am up to 5+ miles a day..but I started slowly. Are you running on a treadmill or outside? Obviously running is going to make you tired but when you are running run slowly, like a jog. That was my biggest thing that I just figured out about 6 months into my running. Run at a comfortable pace that you know you can sustain for a while.

I try to drink water when I run if I know I'll be out for more than 3-4 miles. During a 6 mile race I usually drink at the 3 Mile mark. Now that I'm training for this 1/2 marathon I have a hydration belt that I'll be using for long runs. Drinking does not inhibit my breathing one bit. I strong encourage it, your body will need it!

I don't use inhalors because albuterol etc makes my lung function worse. Maybe play with it a little though maybe..run right after inhalors or run the next day right before inhalors but make sure you bring it with you.

Rock CF,
Em

letsrockcfem

Rock CF,
Em

letsrockcfem

Rock CF,
Em

letsrockcfem

<br />
<br />The idea is to start slow. 3 minutes is good! How long of a workout are you doing? I started with the walk 5 run 2 then worked it up slowly to walk 2 run 5. Now I am up to 5+ miles a day..but I started slowly. Are you running on a treadmill or outside? Obviously running is going to make you tired but when you are running run slowly, like a jog. That was my biggest thing that I just figured out about 6 months into my running. Run at a comfortable pace that you know you can sustain for a while.
<br />
<br />I try to drink water when I run if I know I'll be out for more than 3-4 miles. During a 6 mile race I usually drink at the 3 Mile mark. Now that I'm training for this 1/2 marathon I have a hydration belt that I'll be using for long runs. Drinking does not inhibit my breathing one bit. I strong encourage it, your body will need it!
<br />
<br />I don't use inhalors because albuterol etc makes my lung function worse. Maybe play with it a little though maybe..run right after inhalors or run the next day right before inhalors but make sure you bring it with you.
<br />
<br />Let me know if you have any more questions!! Good luck.
<br />Rock CF,
<br />Em

mom2lillian

Christian,

Good for you! I think Emily gave you great advice. Try googling the words 'couch to 5k' it's a pretty good laid back way to build up. I think it makes some assumptions about where you can start out so if you arent there yet just do the first weeks as more walking less jogging until you get to where they say then try that way. Dont feel pressure to keep up though, you can do your own thing it's just kind of nice to see it layed out.

I think the biggest things I did wrong were: trying to run too quick (just barely jog and you can slowly build up), taking too long strides (should be quicker using core muscles more and landing on balls feet), and not stretching enough.

I do xopenex before gym or if I run other times I do inhaler for sure it makes a big difference for me but everyone is different.

Best of luck to you

oh and since I do treadmill I do drink alot but 'stats' say if you are doing a 5k (3.1 miles) you shouldnt need water.

mom2lillian

Christian,

Good for you! I think Emily gave you great advice. Try googling the words 'couch to 5k' it's a pretty good laid back way to build up. I think it makes some assumptions about where you can start out so if you arent there yet just do the first weeks as more walking less jogging until you get to where they say then try that way. Dont feel pressure to keep up though, you can do your own thing it's just kind of nice to see it layed out.

I think the biggest things I did wrong were: trying to run too quick (just barely jog and you can slowly build up), taking too long strides (should be quicker using core muscles more and landing on balls feet), and not stretching enough.

I do xopenex before gym or if I run other times I do inhaler for sure it makes a big difference for me but everyone is different.

Best of luck to you

oh and since I do treadmill I do drink alot but 'stats' say if you are doing a 5k (3.1 miles) you shouldnt need water.

mom2lillian

Christian,

Best of luck to you

mom2lillian

Christian,

Best of luck to you

mom2lillian

Christian,
<br />
<br />Good for you! I think Emily gave you great advice. Try googling the words 'couch to 5k' it's a pretty good laid back way to build up. I think it makes some assumptions about where you can start out so if you arent there yet just do the first weeks as more walking less jogging until you get to where they say then try that way. Dont feel pressure to keep up though, you can do your own thing it's just kind of nice to see it layed out.
<br />
<br />I think the biggest things I did wrong were: trying to run too quick (just barely jog and you can slowly build up), taking too long strides (should be quicker using core muscles more and landing on balls feet), and not stretching enough.
<br />
<br />I do xopenex before gym or if I run other times I do inhaler for sure it makes a big difference for me but everyone is different.
<br />
<br />Best of luck to you
<br />
<br />oh and since I do treadmill I do drink alot but 'stats' say if you are doing a 5k (3.1 miles) you shouldnt need water.