• Start date
T

Teri Di Biase Mundt

Has anyone experienced sharp chest pain when breathing deep or coughing

triples15

Super Moderator
Has anyone experienced sharp chest pain when breathing deep or coughing

Hi Teri,

Sorry you are having a hard time! Yes, I do sometimes experience sharp pain when breathing deeply or coughing. Mine is usually around my lower left lobe, and I'd describing it as a stabbing pain. Mine has always been deemed to be pleurisy (inflammation of the membrane surrounding the lung), usually associated with a more active pseudo infection, but doesn't necessarily always happen only when I'm "sicker". Sometimes it seems to come around for a few days for no reason. :( But it is possible you have an infection brewing that needs treated with antibiotics.

Other possible causes would be a pulled muscle or cracked rib. My advice would be to try ibuprofen, which helps with pain as well as has anti-inflammatory properties, and a warm compress (heating pad/hot water bottle etc). Hopefully you are able to get some relief that way. If the pain persists I'd definitely give a call to clinic.

Take care and best of luck!

Autumn 34 w.cf

jaimers

Super Moderator
I get that sometimes in situations like autumn described above and also if I have a mucous plug that is blocking an airway.

imported_Momto2

One thing I found helpful with both muscular and bone issues is holding the area tightly when I cough, sometimes even temporarily wrapping a scarf around my torso if I had to cough hard. It does help ease the pain a bit (much like taping a broken rib). Didnt find that helped my much with pleurisy tho. If you truly suspect an issue, you should get call your doc.

Autumn is spot on when she suggests a hot compress or heating pad for chest or rib pain. It can really really help. That and a massage :)

Hardak

Checking in with the CF doc is a good idea on this one. In my case I've got a chunk of cartilage that I mangled years ago and its never healed right. Good hard cough and I can see the ribs separate. I'll end up with a stabbing pain for a few days then a dull ache for a few after that if I really wrench it. Other spot I get that bugs me is from a heavy bleed, It will commonly start bugging me right before I get horridly sick.