Children affected by CF

point

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Printer</b></i> Affected means influnced or acted upon. People with CF are not INFLUENCED BY CF, nor does CF ACT UPON US.</end quote>

Hey Printer, I just re-typed the heading from the CNN website so if the grammar is incorrect it isn't suprising since I routinely see errors by journalists within online news articles.

point

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Printer</b></i> Affected means influnced or acted upon. People with CF are not INFLUENCED BY CF, nor does CF ACT UPON US.</end quote>

Hey Printer, I just re-typed the heading from the CNN website so if the grammar is incorrect it isn't suprising since I routinely see errors by journalists within online news articles.

kitomd21

Didn't care for it, either. Great to raise awareness, but these children look like they're on death's door and in agony. CF is not fun, but don't pity my child.

kitomd21

Didn't care for it, either. Great to raise awareness, but these children look like they're on death's door and in agony. CF is not fun, but don't pity my child.

jimick

I too am part of the group who didn't care for the pictures. We get enough of the "feed the hungry children," "support the SPCA" crap on TV. I'm not cold hearted at all but I hate the attempt to manipulate the audience by tugging at their heart strings.

JJ, Grampy to Brielle born March 27th, 2012 w/DDF508.

jimick

I too am part of the group who didn't care for the pictures. We get enough of the "feed the hungry children," "support the SPCA" crap on TV. I'm not cold hearted at all but I hate the attempt to manipulate the audience by tugging at their heart strings.

JJ, Grampy to Brielle born March 27th, 2012 w/DDF508.

Havoc

The use of "affected" in this case is correct.

Havoc

The use of "affected" in this case is correct.

W

welshwitch

From a marketing perspective, it's a strategy to get peeps to donate $$/get attention. Would people donate if the pictures were of people looking happy, healthy and full of life? I hate the pix too, but if that's what it takes to get people to donate/spread awareness, so be it.

Other side of the coin: when I was growing up all the marketing materials/things I read on CF were in this sad, depressing, "you're going to die" vein. I grew up with the notion that I was going to be in this category too! If I were to model for a CF fundraising campaign now, I doubt my pic would be very effective. If I could have seen a picture of myself now when I was 10 (I'm 32 now) versus all these scary and depressing images my fear level would have been much lower growing up!

A compromise: let's use "sad" images for fundraising, but let's teach our CF children that there are adults who grow up to be happy, healthy strong individuals. It's important for them to see the reality!!!!!

W

welshwitch

From a marketing perspective, it's a strategy to get peeps to donate $$/get attention. Would people donate if the pictures were of people looking happy, healthy and full of life? I hate the pix too, but if that's what it takes to get people to donate/spread awareness, so be it.

Other side of the coin: when I was growing up all the marketing materials/things I read on CF were in this sad, depressing, "you're going to die" vein. I grew up with the notion that I was going to be in this category too! If I were to model for a CF fundraising campaign now, I doubt my pic would be very effective. If I could have seen a picture of myself now when I was 10 (I'm 32 now) versus all these scary and depressing images my fear level would have been much lower growing up!

A compromise: let's use "sad" images for fundraising, but let's teach our CF children that there are adults who grow up to be happy, healthy strong individuals. It's important for them to see the reality!!!!!

ryry11

I saw this a couple months ago on Tumblr. I hate the pictures. I understand that it's a marketing thing, but they really bother me, to the point that I don't want people to ask me "Did you see that thing on CNN about CF kids?" Because CF kids don't sit, looking sadly at their Creon. They down them and keep going. There was a PSA done about me when I was little that showed me running around, playing in my backyard, going down the slide- and then nebbing. I think that was just as effective as this, which I find almost offensive.

ryry11

I saw this a couple months ago on Tumblr. I hate the pictures. I understand that it's a marketing thing, but they really bother me, to the point that I don't want people to ask me "Did you see that thing on CNN about CF kids?" Because CF kids don't sit, looking sadly at their Creon. They down them and keep going. There was a PSA done about me when I was little that showed me running around, playing in my backyard, going down the slide- and then nebbing. I think that was just as effective as this, which I find almost offensive.