CMV virus and TX

shamrock

I'm CMV positive and my donor is negative. I knew nothing about it until it was mentioned afterwards. So far touch wood I've not developed anything. I believe if it develops (as in not caught in the labwork first) it can be a really nasty thing and a bugger to get rid of!

A LOT of people harbour this virus thing in their bodies and do not know it. It's once you become immunosuppressed that the CMV can 'reawaken' so to speak and cause probs..

shamrock

I'm CMV positive and my donor is negative. I knew nothing about it until it was mentioned afterwards. So far touch wood I've not developed anything. I believe if it develops (as in not caught in the labwork first) it can be a really nasty thing and a bugger to get rid of!

A LOT of people harbour this virus thing in their bodies and do not know it. It's once you become immunosuppressed that the CMV can 'reawaken' so to speak and cause probs..

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

Liza

Hi everyone! Anna was CMV - and her donor was CMV +. The first we heard of it was post transplant. They gave her Cytogam infusions along with Valcyte. The infusions were spaced out like every few days, then weeks until her 16th or 18th week post transplant. She just lowered her Valcyte from 900mg to 450 at her 6month mark. They say she will take it for the first year. So far no CMV.

From what I understand, CMV is very common and most everyone has been exposed to it and it not really any big deal UNLESS your are immune compromised. That is when it can rear its ugly head. I have only heard that it is a pain in the arse to go through and they don't want to do that again. What exactly they do to get it under control I don't know. A fellow transplant recipient we know got it shortly after being released to come back home to Texas. He's doing well again and coming on his first year anniversary.

I think I heard something on the news about CMV just last night. Can't recall if it was local or national though.

Liza

Hi everyone! Anna was CMV - and her donor was CMV +. The first we heard of it was post transplant. They gave her Cytogam infusions along with Valcyte. The infusions were spaced out like every few days, then weeks until her 16th or 18th week post transplant. She just lowered her Valcyte from 900mg to 450 at her 6month mark. They say she will take it for the first year. So far no CMV.

From what I understand, CMV is very common and most everyone has been exposed to it and it not really any big deal UNLESS your are immune compromised. That is when it can rear its ugly head. I have only heard that it is a pain in the arse to go through and they don't want to do that again. What exactly they do to get it under control I don't know. A fellow transplant recipient we know got it shortly after being released to come back home to Texas. He's doing well again and coming on his first year anniversary.

I think I heard something on the news about CMV just last night. Can't recall if it was local or national though.

Liza

Liza

Liza