CMV virus and TX

kbquincy

Just wondering if any of you got CMV positive lungs and how you are doing post transplant. Did you have any complications and how was the treatment? I chose to accept either positive or negative lungs.

kbquincy

Just wondering if any of you got CMV positive lungs and how you are doing post transplant. Did you have any complications and how was the treatment? I chose to accept either positive or negative lungs.

kbquincy

kbquincy

kbquincy

coltsfan715

Hey there,

I think in large part it depends on what YOU are ... meaning are YOU CMV positive or Negative.

I talked to my doc about this and he told me the following:

The MOST IDEAL situation is when the Donor AND Recipient are CMV negative because neither have been exposed to the virus.

Patients at moderate risk are those that are CMV Positive and get EITHER a CMV Positive or Negative Donor.

Patients at the highest risk are those that are CMV Negative and end up with a Donor that was CMV positive. They are highest risk because the very first time their bodies are ever going to be exposed to the virus is the night of transplant when their immune system has to be wiped out.

Personally I was CMV positive before transplant and received a set of lungs from a Donor that was CMV positive. I have not had any issues to date with CMV itself. I am still taking Valcyte as an anti viral though. I do know of some patients that were CMV negative pre transplant and received lungs from a CMV positive donor. One of those ended up getting CMV not even one month post. The doctors were on top of things though and she was treated from the day of transplant so she never got sick - it just showed up in her lab work.

Best of Luck to you.
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey there,

I think in large part it depends on what YOU are ... meaning are YOU CMV positive or Negative.

The MOST IDEAL situation is when the Donor AND Recipient are CMV negative because neither have been exposed to the virus.

Patients at moderate risk are those that are CMV Positive and get EITHER a CMV Positive or Negative Donor.

Patients at the highest risk are those that are CMV Negative and end up with a Donor that was CMV positive. They are highest risk because the very first time their bodies are ever going to be exposed to the virus is the night of transplant when their immune system has to be wiped out.

Personally I was CMV positive before transplant and received a set of lungs from a Donor that was CMV positive. I have not had any issues to date with CMV itself. I am still taking Valcyte as an anti viral though. I do know of some patients that were CMV negative pre transplant and received lungs from a CMV positive donor. One of those ended up getting CMV not even one month post. The doctors were on top of things though and she was treated from the day of transplant so she never got sick - it just showed up in her lab work.

Best of Luck to you.
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey there,

Best of Luck to you.
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey there,

Best of Luck to you.
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey there,

Best of Luck to you.
Lindsey

coltsfan715

CMV = CytoMegaloVirus.

I am not sure HOW common it is, but I do know that the majority of the population has it. When I was evaluated I was told that they wanted me to have the antibodies built up for it. I guess finding a donor that was CMV positive is a whole heck of a lot easier then finding one that is CMV negative.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

CMV = CytoMegaloVirus.

I am not sure HOW common it is, but I do know that the majority of the population has it. When I was evaluated I was told that they wanted me to have the antibodies built up for it. I guess finding a donor that was CMV positive is a whole heck of a lot easier then finding one that is CMV negative.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

CMV = CytoMegaloVirus.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

CMV = CytoMegaloVirus.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

CMV = CytoMegaloVirus.

Lindsey