Cold medications

JennifersHope

I caught a nasty cold..Runny nose, sneezing and tons more secretions and coughing. I am already covered with IV antibiotics and have been for a while now but since I know this is viral and the post nasal drip is making me choke so hard I am throwing up which is sending me into Bronchospasm... it just dawned on me that maybe I can take some cold medications..

DUHHH.. I have no clue what is a good one to take, I am super sensitive to drugs and I know I can't take the non drowsy stuff because I get bad medicine head..

Any ideas what I can take??? What do you take? My cough is very, very productive when I am not having bronchospasm...

any ideas

JennifersHope

I caught a nasty cold..Runny nose, sneezing and tons more secretions and coughing. I am already covered with IV antibiotics and have been for a while now but since I know this is viral and the post nasal drip is making me choke so hard I am throwing up which is sending me into Bronchospasm... it just dawned on me that maybe I can take some cold medications..

DUHHH.. I have no clue what is a good one to take, I am super sensitive to drugs and I know I can't take the non drowsy stuff because I get bad medicine head..

Any ideas what I can take??? What do you take? My cough is very, very productive when I am not having bronchospasm...

any ideas

JennifersHope

any ideas

regina65

I take Zyrtec( I actually break them in half) and use flonase nasal spray . If it's that bad you may need something stronger. The pharmacist told me Zyrtec doesn't have quite as much antihistamine as the others . The antihistamines dry up my nasal stuff but also dry my lungs out pretty bad, but i don't see the effects of that till the end of the cold. I hope you feel better . I have avoided the colds so far . Hope I can all winter.

regina65

I take Zyrtec( I actually break them in half) and use flonase nasal spray . If it's that bad you may need something stronger. The pharmacist told me Zyrtec doesn't have quite as much antihistamine as the others . The antihistamines dry up my nasal stuff but also dry my lungs out pretty bad, but i don't see the effects of that till the end of the cold. I hope you feel better . I have avoided the colds so far . Hope I can all winter.

regina65

erock77

My understanding is cold "medicines" generally just block symptoms but can make the cold last longer. Since the symptoms are from your body trying to rid the bug. Instead try remedies designed to boost your immune system, zinc lozengers,OJ, healthy foods, chill out, tea, stay warm, take probiotics especially since you're on IV's. Stuff like that. Some cough suppressants could be helpful if you can't sleep or have to be in public and don't want to cough. But if your cough is productive than try not to suppress it.
I'm usually amazed w/ my sticky lungs I can still manage to beat a cold often in just 2 days but concentrating on everything that's good for my immune system. The trick is to kill it early though, it may take longer if it's already taken hold.

erock77

My understanding is cold "medicines" generally just block symptoms but can make the cold last longer. Since the symptoms are from your body trying to rid the bug. Instead try remedies designed to boost your immune system, zinc lozengers,OJ, healthy foods, chill out, tea, stay warm, take probiotics especially since you're on IV's. Stuff like that. Some cough suppressants could be helpful if you can't sleep or have to be in public and don't want to cough. But if your cough is productive than try not to suppress it.
I'm usually amazed w/ my sticky lungs I can still manage to beat a cold often in just 2 days but concentrating on everything that's good for my immune system. The trick is to kill it early though, it may take longer if it's already taken hold.

erock77

JennifersHope

Thanks so much, I have always been a believer in not stopping the runny nose and cough since like you said it suppresses your body from getting rid of the germs, I have decided not to take anything so far.... the only issues is the post nasal drip is giving me bad broncho spasms, I saw the doctor today, they said the next step would be magnesium IV to relax spasms....

I am trying not to do that.. so I am just relaxing..

Thanks for your input

JennifersHope

Thanks so much, I have always been a believer in not stopping the runny nose and cough since like you said it suppresses your body from getting rid of the germs, I have decided not to take anything so far.... the only issues is the post nasal drip is giving me bad broncho spasms, I saw the doctor today, they said the next step would be magnesium IV to relax spasms....

Thanks for your input

JennifersHope

Thanks for your input

Havoc

Magnesium IV sucks, I've only given it 2 or 3 times. Patients report a very uncomfortable hot flash. I just wanted you to be prepared in case you have to go that route.

Havoc

Magnesium IV sucks, I've only given it 2 or 3 times. Patients report a very uncomfortable hot flash. I just wanted you to be prepared in case you have to go that route.