Colistin for home infusion-do you mix it yourself?

Has anyone infused Colistin at home using premixed IV balls? If so, how long did they last in the fridge? I have infused Colistin at home before but I had to reconstitute the Colistin with sterile saline daily and inject it into Eclipse IV balls each day (or into an IV bag depending on my insurance). I am now with a new clinic and new hospital-they are sending me home from the hospital to do the remainder of my IV antibiotics but they plan to send premixed Eclipse IV balls for Colistin. The pharmacist claims these are good for 7 days when refrigerated. I asked them several questions about this and expressed my concerns since as far as I know-Coliston is not stable/safe when mixed for infusion beyond 24 hours and I always had to mix it myself at home. The pharmacist says the 7 days is safe and they sent me a two page article with this information as well. I’m still wary...

Thanks Kenna,

Having premixed IV balls will be much easier than mixing myself-I just didn’t know it was an option and this is the 5th time Ive infused Colistin at home. The CF clinic and CF pharmacist confirmed the 7 days and I spoke with the Physicians Assistant about it as well (I like to double and triple check things. You learn something new every day!

kenna2

Np...I was able to start doing IV colistin at home about 2 years ago so this was new for me too. I was just as confused as you at first since I also inhale it too. But it's nice to know that we can do this at home and that we don't have to mix it! Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

This is off topic and maybe should be a private message, but have you ever infused Polymyxin B (sp?) instead? My new hospital prefers it over Colistin (they said it’s less apt to cause kidney problems) and apparently they are very similar-but of course I can’t tolerate the Polymyxin...ha.

kenna2

I've never heard of it actually. I've only been able to use Colistin as my main big IV drug for the past couple of years because Tobi gave me hearing loss. I just learned something new today...thank you!

AnAnGeL

Has anyone infused Colistin at home using premixed IV balls? If so, how long did they last in the fridge? I have infused Colistin at home before but I had to reconstitute the Colistin with sterile saline daily and inject it into Eclipse IV balls each day (or into an IV bag depending on my insurance). I am now with a new clinic and new hospital-they are sending me home from the hospital to do the remainder of my IV antibiotics but they plan to send premixed Eclipse IV balls for Colistin. The pharmacist claims these are good for 7 days when refrigerated. I asked them several questions about this and expressed my concerns since as far as I know-Coliston is not stable/safe when mixed for infusion beyond 24 hours and I always had to mix it myself at home. The pharmacist says the 7 days is safe and they sent me a two page article with this information as well. I’m still wary...
We don’t have iv balls in Winnipeg.

stephen

Super Moderator
Last year I too was put on Home IV Colistimethate, together with Meropenem.

The Colistimethate had to be reconstituted and infused every six hours using an IV bag. This was very incontinent. I spoke to my doctor and she switched the Colistimethate to Piperacil-Tazobact. (I too can’t use Tobramycin because it causes hearing loss.)

Using the IV Balls is very convent. I’m able to infuse while driving, attending the opera, and participating in most other activities.

Note: This was the first time I needed IV antibiotics since starting Kalydeco/Symdeko over six years ago.