Collapsed lung

missT

Hi All, I am out of a 9 day stay at the hospital. My right lung collapsed for the first time two weeks ago. I am a 39 year old female. I really never thought this could happen to me. I had a chest tube in and the lung inflated again but now I find myseld scared and really questioning if I have a life in front of me? I wanted to find out if others have had experience and what has happened post inflation. Please give me any tips if you have them. I have not done the vest or exercized for fear of another collapse. I am on IV's at home right now. I have lost soooo much weight and I am way depressed. My body is tired and achey. Any help is really appreciated.

missT

Hi All, I am out of a 9 day stay at the hospital. My right lung collapsed for the first time two weeks ago. I am a 39 year old female. I really never thought this could happen to me. I had a chest tube in and the lung inflated again but now I find myseld scared and really questioning if I have a life in front of me? I wanted to find out if others have had experience and what has happened post inflation. Please give me any tips if you have them. I have not done the vest or exercized for fear of another collapse. I am on IV's at home right now. I have lost soooo much weight and I am way depressed. My body is tired and achey. Any help is really appreciated.

missT

missT

missT

JazzysMom

Collapses (full or partial) are quite common when dealing with chronic respiratory illnesses.

They dont always require chest tubes to reinflate. I have had lobes collapse & a good clean out allowed it to fix itself.

Although I understand your concern & being scared, the more active you are. The more conditioned you are from exercise the less likely it will happen again.

Did they indicate WHY it happened? Is it badly scarred? Loaded down with mucous? There are various reasons & depending on the reason MIGHT give you an idea of a reoccurence.

Dont lose hope. If you can manage exercise (I am not talking going to pump iron at the moment) it will help with your breathing as well as the depressed state you are in. Just a simple walk can do wonders or maybe turning on some music & do a little dance around the house if you cant get out!

HUGS

JazzysMom

Collapses (full or partial) are quite common when dealing with chronic respiratory illnesses.

They dont always require chest tubes to reinflate. I have had lobes collapse & a good clean out allowed it to fix itself.

Although I understand your concern & being scared, the more active you are. The more conditioned you are from exercise the less likely it will happen again.

Did they indicate WHY it happened? Is it badly scarred? Loaded down with mucous? There are various reasons & depending on the reason MIGHT give you an idea of a reoccurence.

Dont lose hope. If you can manage exercise (I am not talking going to pump iron at the moment) it will help with your breathing as well as the depressed state you are in. Just a simple walk can do wonders or maybe turning on some music & do a little dance around the house if you cant get out!

HUGS

JazzysMom

HUGS

JazzysMom

HUGS

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />They dont always require chest tubes to reinflate. I have had lobes collapse & a good clean out allowed it to fix itself.
<br />
<br />Although I understand your concern & being scared, the more active you are. The more conditioned you are from exercise the less likely it will happen again.
<br />
<br />Did they indicate WHY it happened? Is it badly scarred? Loaded down with mucous? There are various reasons & depending on the reason MIGHT give you an idea of a reoccurence.
<br />
<br />Dont lose hope. If you can manage exercise (I am not talking going to pump iron at the moment) it will help with your breathing as well as the depressed state you are in. Just a simple walk can do wonders or maybe turning on some music & do a little dance around the house if you cant get out!
<br />
<br />HUGS

Jeana

Are you still doing some form of CPT? I have not had a lung collapse yet, but I would think maintaining CPT and exercise would be important. I would definitely ask the doc about it.

Jeana

Are you still doing some form of CPT? I have not had a lung collapse yet, but I would think maintaining CPT and exercise would be important. I would definitely ask the doc about it.

Jeana

Jeana

Jeana

sweetpea21

My lung collapsed in April 2008. It was my right lung and it was 50% collapsed. I had a chest tube for 8 days and and during that time they did a procedure called a pleurodesis. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks and did another 2 weeks of IV antibiotics when I got home. So I definately understand what you are going through!

Its been over a year since that happened and I am doing better than ever. I didn't lose any lung function due to the collapse and can do just about anything. I go to gym to exercise and do my vest. Don't live in fear of it. I know you feel like things will never get back to normal but just hang in there! Things will get brighter!

sweetpea21

My lung collapsed in April 2008. It was my right lung and it was 50% collapsed. I had a chest tube for 8 days and and during that time they did a procedure called a pleurodesis. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks and did another 2 weeks of IV antibiotics when I got home. So I definately understand what you are going through!

Its been over a year since that happened and I am doing better than ever. I didn't lose any lung function due to the collapse and can do just about anything. I go to gym to exercise and do my vest. Don't live in fear of it. I know you feel like things will never get back to normal but just hang in there! Things will get brighter!

sweetpea21

sweetpea21

sweetpea21

<br />
<br />Its been over a year since that happened and I am doing better than ever. I didn't lose any lung function due to the collapse and can do just about anything. I go to gym to exercise and do my vest. Don't live in fear of it. I know you feel like things will never get back to normal but just hang in there! Things will get brighter!
<br />
<br />