College and moving away from home to go to college!

megan420

Hey! So Im thinking about going to college about 600 miles away from home because thats where the best doctors and care I can get are. Im terrified! I don't know if I can handle being away from my family and esppecially my mom. She has been there every step of the way in my CF battle and I dont know if I can handle it without her! But this is the best option for my future and my health. So, what I want to know is; a little about others experiences with moving away for college. And also is I hard to handle college, full time, when Im in the hospital almost every 2 months. Is it even realistic? How about teachers, are they helpful for students with CF and catching up on assignments?

megan420

Hey! So Im thinking about going to college about 600 miles away from home because thats where the best doctors and care I can get are. Im terrified! I don't know if I can handle being away from my family and esppecially my mom. She has been there every step of the way in my CF battle and I dont know if I can handle it without her! But this is the best option for my future and my health. So, what I want to know is; a little about others experiences with moving away for college. And also is I hard to handle college, full time, when Im in the hospital almost every 2 months. Is it even realistic? How about teachers, are they helpful for students with CF and catching up on assignments?

megan420

longhorn4life

I also went away to college but not as far as you're going. I moved just under 300 miles away. Personally, I love being away from home. I love knowing that my future, my health, my everything is in my own hands and knowing that I can take care of my own well-being. It's very satisfactory to take care of yourself and handle things on your own, even if it is overwhelming sometimes.

Before classes start you have to sign up for your school's disability services. The way my university does it is that every semester you submit your classes and professors electronically and the disability office gets your accomodation letters together (explaining all the accomodations teachers have to give you, such as excused absences, etc.) You pick the letters up and meet with all your professors privately to sign them, but they are NOT told what your disability is. That's confidential and they're not even allowed to ask. Then you return your letters to the disability office. Professors only have to adhere to your accomodations after they've signed the letter, so if you don't take it to them until midway through the semester after you've already missed classes or tests then they don't have to let you make anything up.

I rarely ever go to the hospital myself, but I do get sick every semester, sometimes multiple times. Depending on how long you're usually in the hospital for, you should be able to handle full-time if you work extremely hard. I'm a senior and have only fallen below full-time status twice, although last semester was a close one. I'm usually higher than full-time (I've taken as much as 19 hours in one semester before) as well as being involved in organizations.

It can be done, but if you have to take a little longer to graduate then that's fine. Most people don't graduate in four years these days, anyway. In fact, the average graduation rate at my university is 4 1/2 years!

longhorn4life

I also went away to college but not as far as you're going. I moved just under 300 miles away. Personally, I love being away from home. I love knowing that my future, my health, my everything is in my own hands and knowing that I can take care of my own well-being. It's very satisfactory to take care of yourself and handle things on your own, even if it is overwhelming sometimes.

Before classes start you have to sign up for your school's disability services. The way my university does it is that every semester you submit your classes and professors electronically and the disability office gets your accomodation letters together (explaining all the accomodations teachers have to give you, such as excused absences, etc.) You pick the letters up and meet with all your professors privately to sign them, but they are NOT told what your disability is. That's confidential and they're not even allowed to ask. Then you return your letters to the disability office. Professors only have to adhere to your accomodations after they've signed the letter, so if you don't take it to them until midway through the semester after you've already missed classes or tests then they don't have to let you make anything up.

I rarely ever go to the hospital myself, but I do get sick every semester, sometimes multiple times. Depending on how long you're usually in the hospital for, you should be able to handle full-time if you work extremely hard. I'm a senior and have only fallen below full-time status twice, although last semester was a close one. I'm usually higher than full-time (I've taken as much as 19 hours in one semester before) as well as being involved in organizations.

It can be done, but if you have to take a little longer to graduate then that's fine. Most people don't graduate in four years these days, anyway. In fact, the average graduation rate at my university is 4 1/2 years!

longhorn4life

<br />
<br />Before classes start you have to sign up for your school's disability services. The way my university does it is that every semester you submit your classes and professors electronically and the disability office gets your accomodation letters together (explaining all the accomodations teachers have to give you, such as excused absences, etc.) You pick the letters up and meet with all your professors privately to sign them, but they are NOT told what your disability is. That's confidential and they're not even allowed to ask. Then you return your letters to the disability office. Professors only have to adhere to your accomodations after they've signed the letter, so if you don't take it to them until midway through the semester after you've already missed classes or tests then they don't have to let you make anything up.
<br />
<br />I rarely ever go to the hospital myself, but I do get sick every semester, sometimes multiple times. Depending on how long you're usually in the hospital for, you should be able to handle full-time if you work extremely hard. I'm a senior and have only fallen below full-time status twice, although last semester was a close one. I'm usually higher than full-time (I've taken as much as 19 hours in one semester before) as well as being involved in organizations.
<br />
<br />It can be done, but if you have to take a little longer to graduate then that's fine. Most people don't graduate in four years these days, anyway. In fact, the average graduation rate at my university is 4 1/2 years!

CountryGirl

I went to college quite a ways away from my parents too...they were in Texas and I went to Nebraska. I stayed there because I loved my drs and they knew me and I felt I got great treatment there. My parents knew they had to cut the ties and knew my drs would watch out for me and also I had my two best friends, whos families were there for me if I needed them.

My first year I started off sticking to my treatments and meds really well but soon school and my social life got control of me and I got really sick. I ended up in the hospital for a while and my friend's mom was there for me when I was admitted and if I needed something other than hospital food. That was how it went if I was ever admitted while I was going to UNL and also my mom would fly up in an instant if I asked, and of course, being a mom, she asked me every time I went in if I needed her. But I got used to going into bronchs by myself and things like that. My friends were also there at all times of the day and night if I needed them. I had a friend and her boyfriend take me to the ER at 11 at night and sit with me till 5am the next morning.

But you can do this, I definitely agree with longhorn4life and registering with The Office Of Students With Dissabilities. They can contact your profs. with a call to one person, instead of you having to contact each one seperatly; they can get work you missed, whether its a day or two weeks; they even have note takers for the classes you missed, and more. They can also advocate for you.

Also make sure you tell your profs what could happen, or if youre hospitalized before you tell them, tell them afterwards. I've made up "non makeupable quiz's and tests." I've even been automatically passed on those quiz's, I've also been given the chance to continue making up things I've missed after the semester has already ended.

Close friends are good to have to, for those times when you can't drive yourself to the hosp cause you feel like you've been ran over by a train.

So...just be prepared and you'll be able to get through college. I'm gonna stop talking now. Hope this helps.

CountryGirl

I went to college quite a ways away from my parents too...they were in Texas and I went to Nebraska. I stayed there because I loved my drs and they knew me and I felt I got great treatment there. My parents knew they had to cut the ties and knew my drs would watch out for me and also I had my two best friends, whos families were there for me if I needed them.

My first year I started off sticking to my treatments and meds really well but soon school and my social life got control of me and I got really sick. I ended up in the hospital for a while and my friend's mom was there for me when I was admitted and if I needed something other than hospital food. That was how it went if I was ever admitted while I was going to UNL and also my mom would fly up in an instant if I asked, and of course, being a mom, she asked me every time I went in if I needed her. But I got used to going into bronchs by myself and things like that. My friends were also there at all times of the day and night if I needed them. I had a friend and her boyfriend take me to the ER at 11 at night and sit with me till 5am the next morning.

But you can do this, I definitely agree with longhorn4life and registering with The Office Of Students With Dissabilities. They can contact your profs. with a call to one person, instead of you having to contact each one seperatly; they can get work you missed, whether its a day or two weeks; they even have note takers for the classes you missed, and more. They can also advocate for you.

Also make sure you tell your profs what could happen, or if youre hospitalized before you tell them, tell them afterwards. I've made up "non makeupable quiz's and tests." I've even been automatically passed on those quiz's, I've also been given the chance to continue making up things I've missed after the semester has already ended.

Close friends are good to have to, for those times when you can't drive yourself to the hosp cause you feel like you've been ran over by a train.

So...just be prepared and you'll be able to get through college. I'm gonna stop talking now. Hope this helps.

CountryGirl

<br />
<br />My first year I started off sticking to my treatments and meds really well but soon school and my social life got control of me and I got really sick. I ended up in the hospital for a while and my friend's mom was there for me when I was admitted and if I needed something other than hospital food. That was how it went if I was ever admitted while I was going to UNL and also my mom would fly up in an instant if I asked, and of course, being a mom, she asked me every time I went in if I needed her. But I got used to going into bronchs by myself and things like that. My friends were also there at all times of the day and night if I needed them. I had a friend and her boyfriend take me to the ER at 11 at night and sit with me till 5am the next morning.
<br />
<br />But you can do this, I definitely agree with longhorn4life and registering with The Office Of Students With Dissabilities. They can contact your profs. with a call to one person, instead of you having to contact each one seperatly; they can get work you missed, whether its a day or two weeks; they even have note takers for the classes you missed, and more. They can also advocate for you.
<br />
<br />Also make sure you tell your profs what could happen, or if youre hospitalized before you tell them, tell them afterwards. I've made up "non makeupable quiz's and tests." I've even been automatically passed on those quiz's, I've also been given the chance to continue making up things I've missed after the semester has already ended.
<br />
<br />Close friends are good to have to, for those times when you can't drive yourself to the hosp cause you feel like you've been ran over by a train.
<br />
<br />So...just be prepared and you'll be able to get through college. I'm gonna stop talking now. Hope this helps.