Cough so much.... very little sleep

bloggymom

I have been sick all weekend. I tried getting a hold of my clinic but no luck.

I have fever (low grade but enough to give me body aches and chills) tickly cough and getting very little sleep. I have flushed my sinuses and nothing comes out. I have been having such terrible chest spasm that after I cough my chest shutters. I had some mild front chest pain on Friday. That has stayed away. My back is a mess and so incredibly sore from coughing. I lost my supper tonight cause I coughed so hard. Oncee in a blue mood I get something up but most of the time its a non-productive cough.

Here is my big trouble... I can't quit coughing enough to sleep for more than 30 minutes and if I am lucky 1 hour at a time. I have tried propping myself up, laying flat on my stomach just in case its post nasal drip. I am trying the recliner tonight. My family needs to get some sleep as well.

I initially thought it was gastric reflux so I have been taking antacids and left my stomach empty for as long as I could but I still coughed. I am on 2 liters of oxygen at night and it doesn't seem to help me relax and breath better like it did when I was semi-healthy. (OXYGEN2)I have diabetes so cough meds are out of the question.

I am afraid this is my mycobacteria flaring up.

I am hoping clinic gets back to me soon but with the holiday weekend it could take them a little while (I go to National Jewish). I just want to sleep.... don't think that is too much to ask.(PRAYING)

Bloggymom (former screen name was mamerth)

damnitdana

I'm so sorry to hear! I was in a similar situation recently where I kept coughing at night and just wasnt getting sleep. I needed IVs and that seemed to help along with some cough medicine. I really hope you start to feel better and get some rest too! Not getting sleep and coughing and being in all the pain from coughing is awful. I hope the docs get back to you soon. Feel better and I hope sleep comes your way!

marcycain

This happens with our son a lot and having oxygen at night has helped as well as prednisone. He goes to Natl Jewish too....I hope you get what you need to get some much needed sleep.

K

kgfrompa

I hope you feel better soon,I have had this happen to me and the coughing all night long drains me even more.My doctors give me Benzonatate and that has been a God sent.I can sleep and it stops me from coughing enough to get the much needed sleep.I hope you feel better soon.

Try this but please be careful

I'm going to make a few educated guesses...it "sounds" as if you are describing a viral annoyace cough as opposed to a congestion cough and symptoms that might be a viral infection. Yes this could be CF related but it is also possible that you caught the sort of bug that everyone gets. This doesn't mean that a viral infection can't lead to a bacterial infection but at this moment (and please consult your CF doctor) a very small amount of diabetctussin or similar diabetic safe cough suppresant may be warrented.

Normally in CF or related disorders we always want to cough to get the gunk out...and if it feels like you have a stuck plug then and that is why nothing is comming out then you need to address that...but if you have a cough from spasmic activity or irritation that is only exhausting you and not helping clear anything then a cough suppresant actually makes sense...however an expectorant like mussinex could held you get stuck mucus out.

Drinking tea or chicken broth also help the throat and the body. Vicks may be something that may help as well.

If you do decide to take any kind of (diabetic safe) cough suppresant please take as little as possible, read and look upall ingrediants, check for any potential side effects with your other meds, stay well hydrated, and consider an expectorant/extra vest time to make up for the relief while sleeping.

Because you are on nighttime oxygen I am very reluctant to give any advise...but sleep is so important to let the body heal...and it "sounds" as if that is what you need most of all.

Good luck, please be careful, and talk to your doctor as soon as.you can...ask them whether to follow my advise now or in the future...and I *only* give this advse because you seem to have explored all othr causes ;)

Feel better

SFA

Please see your medical team for true medical analysis, of course, BUT in the meantime....we've had too much experience with this! When we just need my kiddo to SLEEP more than 30 mins in a row, or just not cough for more than 1.5 seconds, we do a combo of stuff. Very warm wet towels (not hot enough to burn but really really warm) on chest, vicks vaporub on bottom of feet (strange, but I swear it works) and sometimes use Delsym cough syrup. I'd stay away from codeine cough syrups, they don't work well with CF. (at least in our experience). A little spoonful of honey sometimes cuts the cough and soothes the throat enough to slip to sleep. Good luck!