Coughing alot but no need for hospital. need tips/ advice on how to control it.

I am in almost in need of a lung transplant. I don't use oxygen at home because my doctor said i don't need it and my oxygen level is still high when they do the 6 minute test. my lung functions are between 27- 30%. My problem is the weather here doesn't help my coughing. One day it is 84 degrees and the next day there is freezing rain, and ice. when i woke up the day after the ice, the wind chill felt like 7 degrees. that's a 77 degree change. the next day after that it was sunny. today it's cloudy and windy. yes, texas has crazy weather. the problem is i am coughing like crazy but it's not productive and hasnt put me in the hospital yet. i am doing all i can by sleeping, taking all my meds and treatments, extra cpt, cough drops and meds, and sinus rinses. i have 1001 pillows at night to help me not have coughing attacks. what else can i do to maintain my cough around others and to not have sooooo many coughing attacks at night. i know i can always call my doc but nothing is night and nothing is productive. and yes i am taking allegry shots. any more tips or advice on how to control my cough?

nmw0615

This is going to sound really weird. I put Vaseline on the soles of my feet, then cover them with socks. This usually gets rid of any cough that isn't productive. I don't understand it (beyond basic reflexology), but it's worked for me.

nmw0615

I wear it all night long. An added benefit is you'll have the softest feet of everyone you know, haha

megan420

Hi, CF sucks lol I totally get where you are coming from though. My PFTs aren't as low as yours yet, sorry for the wording-mine are like 37% average. Has been much lower to. Im from North Dakota, so its like freezing here year round, ok so we get a few months of nice weather lol. I got a handicap sticker parker as well and I use that like all the time in the winter. You could have who ever your with that day drop you off or even go get your car if its just to far to get to. I wear O2 at night and as needed during the day, more often when Im getting sick; sometimes in order to not make a scene in the store, I need to wear it despite the looks I get which pretty much suck. Ive also gotten extremely good at timing my cough attacks!!! So I wait, until I can get to a bathroom or in an aisle with no-one around. I usually have someone with me the majority of the times who can help shoulder the stares and looks, because sometimes my attacks sneak up on me and I have to do an attack rit in the middle of a check-out or something else major embarrassing. Joking about it after wards with that someone always helps too, then they can at least answer when people ask the "ARE YOU OK!" question. Also, try coughing with your arms up, its so natural not to do that but back in the day thats what they told my mom to have me do; its supposed to stop the attack. I havent tried it yet in my adulthood, but she said to boil a kettle of water with a good tablespoon or to of vicks rub or just rub it on your chest; thats really soothing. I really hope this helps and you get better!! Peace and Love!

Always have something to drink on you and a over the counter cough syrup wouldn't hurt but do it as the box says and do a more regular dose of it, even if you feel better!

musclemania70

Sorry to hear. I don't have much tips except to get out what you can. Keeping the cough in fuels infection.
Its a hard road. Keep staying positive and stay up on the research. You never know what clinical studies may be available to you.

D

Dhobs

I've posted this in other threads but I put a dry, folded washcloth in my shirt on my chest. My daughter has CF and this works for her too.

baseballfrank

The only thing I have found to suppress cough is hydocodone cough syrup. it is a narcotic and has a risk of addiction, but my doctor and I discussed using it and she agreed that sleep is important. I do tons of treatments during the day and exercise a lot to get the crap out. At night I use the cough syrup and it works well to help me sleep. As with any drug, you have to weigh the positives with the negatives. Don't overuse it because as you know you need to cough to get the crap out. But if your coughing is keeping you from getting a good nights sleep, I would talk to your doctor about it.

erock77

Is it like an itch in your lungs and you just Have to cough to relieve it? I've been getting that in the last year, Very annoying and mostly when I go to bed. I'll cough a bunch, it'll subside, I lay down, then it returns, repeat. My doctor thinks it's infection dropping from the sinuses and irritating the lung tissue. So more sinus rinses could help. And I usually move to sleep on the recliner when this happens. My whole torso and head being propped up seems to help.

Kristan

I have used Vicks on the bottom of my feet with some success. I usually only have a problem with a unproductive cough after a virus/cold or certain allergy triggers. I have found Zarbees cough syrup very helpful and use nasal oil in my nose before bed. I think it hydrates the passages and prevents the scratchy throat feeling. I have also used tea tree muscle rub (jason natural) on my upper chest...works for my kids too. Good Luck

musclemania70

if you are getting more cough when you lay down, its most likely acid reflux related
the only time i get acid reflux is when i am laying down right before bed