coughing etiquette

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I am having a discussion with Josh about his airway clearance etiquette. Currently we are on vacation in a lovely quiet cottage on the ocean.There isa family renting the cottage next to us.
Josh feels it is quite appropriate for him to cough, gag, hack, spit and spew next to the open window within feet of where the family is dining on their patio. He says his health requires itand if they don't like it, its their problem. While I agree he shouldn't change his clearance routine, I suggested he be more discreet by perhaps closing the window or going to an interior room.
What are your thoughts?

Printer

Josh sounds like he is 14.

By his logic someone who needs to urinate can urinate on him and that would be his problem.

CF is not a license to spread our germs upon the world. In fact, we have an obligation to not only protect ourselver from others but to also protect others from us.

It is time for Josh to grow up.

Bill

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Printer</b></i> Josh sounds like he is 14. By his logic someone who needs to urinate can urinate on him and that would be his problem </end quote>

Love it! Thanks.
Let me be clear though, Josh was not within range of sharing germs, only noise. I just thought he needed to be more thoughtful.

LouLou

Is Josh's medicational "station" set up next to that window and that is why he is doing all this "noise making" next to the window? He's not spitting out the window as I read it just that he is doing his vest and treatments by a window. I say adjust the time of treatments to not be doing them as the people are dining on the patio. Also if his station could be moved to another area within the space that could be a solution too. Not coughing and spitting during HTS and vest treatments is not an option. That's the whole point. And I don't think he should have to go back to his bedroom to do it. Another option is for him to shut the window just while he is doing his treatments.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LouLou</b></i> Is Josh's medicational "station" set up next to that window and that is why he is doing all this "noise making" next to the window? He's not spitting out the window as I read it just that he is doing his vest and treatments by a window.</end quote>
Yes, that's right Lauren. That would be disgusting if he was spitting <em>out the window!</em>

mamerth

If it is just a plain cough (not productive) then I cover my mouth and let it rip. If it feels like it is going to be productive then I start heading for the bathroom. I live with guys so being dainty with my cough is not necessary.

I don't ever spit into a tissue in front of people. Cough spit and then throw it away and then wash hands (all done in the bathroom).

Our neighbors are used to me coughing while we sit outside or work in the yard. They don't even look over the fence they just call "HI, XXXXXXX, how are your doing". :)

M

moxie1

I have cf and I still think it is rude and inconsiderate. Why doesn't he at least close the window?
If I was trying to eat my supper and heard sounds like you are describing, I would feel sick.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Would you like it if you were in the reverse situation? I think we have tobe careful that cf does not make us too self-centered. There are other people in this world and they are important too.

Melissa75

Administrator
Mamerth, My youngest son said a few months ago that he knows how to find me in the house by following the sound of coughing. Like your neighbors knowing you're in the yard.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>moxie1</b></i>

Why doesn't he at least close the window?

If I was trying to eat my supper and heard sounds like you are describing, I would feel sick./p></end quote>

Exactly! Thanks for helping me make my point!

Melissa75

Administrator
Sara, ...and the baby bat/humans locate the mama using "cough-location" whereby hacking noises transmit information about proximity.

B

BikerEd

Yeah, bad form. I'm just guessing he needs to figure there are 70,000 of us and 6.5 them he needs to understand there are some rules in the world. But I'm just guessing here he ah, angry about his CF? Cause that sounds a little like if "I have to suffer CF so does everybody else." So if he is going to act like a 14 yo treat him lie one, cause I'm assuming he didn't pay for the cottage, so I guess you get to set the rules.

Hardak

personally I always try to get away from the general public's prying eyes. I have a few friends that I take it to the bathroom or away from them cause it bugs them. But I also always have a productive caught just a matter of is it high enough volume to spit or not.

K

katethekid

I always have a cup or bottle next to me at home when I do my treatments. I cough up what I need to and spit it in there. However, if we are out in public or we have company over I excuse myself and go to the restroom. Or on occasion practically run to the restroom if it is a particularly bad coughing fit. Once I have it under control I return. He has to learn to be considerate of other people. It's normal for his age, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable.