Coughing up small, hard, brown balls

Ayn

Hi All,

I am coughing up tiny (lke 2mm x .5 mm) small brown solid/hard balls of something. (Idk if it's mucus or what). Has that happened to anyone else? Any ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance <3
Sincerely,

Confused
Current FEV1: 54%

Rigsby

I always thought these were fungus. Have you ever had problems with abpa? Or does the doctor ever check your ige level?

alexnw

Abpa

This sounds like ABPA which is a fungal infection (Aspergillosis). The initial test is to check IGE level and the treatment is usually Prednisone. I suffered long term from ABPA. I was on Prednisone for a long time (2 and half years), but was then switched to Xolair (injections every 2 weeks) which cleared it up for me without the risks and damage of long term steroid use (diabetes, osteoporosis, weight gain, etc). The challenge is that Xolair isn't really approved for CF. You need a good allergist who help get it approved if that is the right treatment for you. If you do get an ABPA diagnosis, at least ask about Xolair before getting on the steroids. They may also try you on anti-fungal meds. They didn't work for me.

musclemania70

I got these even when i didn't have a fungal infection. Its 'normal' for CF. I was told it was pockets of dried mucous being expelled.

alexnw

One way I found that was unique to ABPA versus old mucus was that there was a distinctive bitter taste to the pieces coughed up with ABPA.

kyeev

Hi All,

I am coughing up tiny (lke 2mm x .5 mm) small brown solid/hard balls of something. (Idk if it's mucus or what). Has that happened to anyone else? Any ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance <3
Sincerely,

Confused
Current FEV1: 54%

Hi, if you have cultured Pseudomonas for a long time and especially if your sputum notes come back as mucoid, then they are more than likely Pseudomonas aeruginosa Biofilm structures.
Crush one up and you will see the tell tale green suckers inside.
This brown ball type structure helps protect the bacteria from our immune system and from antibiotics.
Sometimes, you will cough more of them up if you are on IV antibiotics or sometimes if you have a cold and are more "fluidy" than normal, that can dislodge them.