CPT Advice... Use a Regular Massager?

Bailey Vincent

I have no insurance and am super duper "broke" thanks to tons of medical bills, so was thinking about using a regular percussive hand massager (meant for shoulders and neck) on my ribs and lung area to encourage cough when no one is available to help with CPT, and/or I'm doing my neb, and/or need to clear my airways.

Thoughts? Has anyone ever used a non-medical type of tool just because it's better than nothing?

xoxo : )

P

patpatstoo

I found an ACPELLA for $22 @ ebay. They are much better for clearance. I don't think the hand massager is enough. Just my opinion.

SoyaSauce

Yes, that could work well!

I recommended getting though a good big one, like from brook-stone, or check out Amazon or ebay. One that has alot of vibration and and heavy, don't buy a cheap one "light", will not go the job done.

It breaks my heart when CFers have no insurance and your medical bills have left you in pieces. Try and check out the CF Foundation and what programs they have, and talk to the help line. They are programs where you can you get tobi, pulmozyme or enzymes , even some people on here will donation their vest machines.

Bailey Vincent

Good to know! I just looked and saw some for $25 - 30 on Ebay as well. Wow, who would have known? Great tips from everyone- thank you!

C

CFfer

A PEP device will only cost you $50 and the outcomes are better with PEP than with the Vest. A big Canadian trial tested hundreds of patients to prove this.

M

mgl

Second the recommendation for a PEP device such as a flutter. They are cheap, work very well, and last forever.

rtorres25

Vest available

I saw this post today. Have you seen it? I hope you can find her on here. I got my vest with a LOT of assistance from Hill Rom. It's been a long time, but worth looking in to. DianeF
user-offline.png
Join DateSep 2013Posts1
[h=2]The Vest 105 by Hill-Rom[/h]

I have one no longer being used with only 7.1 hours on it. If interested please message me. Comes with carrying case, all hoses, and manufacture's instructional dvd. Pictures available. Thank you​

Justinsmama

We used our brookstone massager on my (then) 7 year old when he had a string of pneumonias-infections right before we got the vest. It did not do as good of a job as the vest, but much better than nothing and at the time it hurt him too much to do the manual every 2 hours. Good luck to you!!!