Cracked Ribs

idajune

Long story short. The day after Christmas I fell two days later my chest hurt (burned) when coughing, and at the same time my lungs were feeling junky - diagnosis - pneumonia with pleuritic pain. Fast forward three weeks, having been on IVs Tobra and Ceftaz I was feeling some better, able to cough stuff up without wincing in pain, I was also on Prednisone for 10 days stopping on Sunday.

Last night I was finishing my vest and took a deep breath to cough and I heard this awful snap, pop and sounded like someone hit my rib bone. Very strange I just sat there for a minute stunned and tried to feel every part of my lung when I took the breath.

Today I finally told the doctor I was tired of accepting the pleurisy diagnosis and really think there is something else going. I am pretty convinced I did something to my ribs when I fell and last night I cracked it. My nurse said today that is what she thinks might be the case also, after I told her about last night.

Anyway, has anyone cracked a rib? Did it hurt to cough and was there anything they could do for you? I am stuck with ibuprofen and am back on prednisone.

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

Long story short. The day after Christmas I fell two days later my chest hurt (burned) when coughing, and at the same time my lungs were feeling junky - diagnosis - pneumonia with pleuritic pain. Fast forward three weeks, having been on IVs Tobra and Ceftaz I was feeling some better, able to cough stuff up without wincing in pain, I was also on Prednisone for 10 days stopping on Sunday.

Last night I was finishing my vest and took a deep breath to cough and I heard this awful snap, pop and sounded like someone hit my rib bone. Very strange I just sat there for a minute stunned and tried to feel every part of my lung when I took the breath.

Today I finally told the doctor I was tired of accepting the pleurisy diagnosis and really think there is something else going. I am pretty convinced I did something to my ribs when I fell and last night I cracked it. My nurse said today that is what she thinks might be the case also, after I told her about last night.

Anyway, has anyone cracked a rib? Did it hurt to cough and was there anything they could do for you? I am stuck with ibuprofen and am back on prednisone.

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

Thanks, Sarah

mamerth

I cracked/broke a rib 8 years ago (had a horrible cold and cough). I thought I was dying the pain was so bad. I hurt to cough, bend over, stretch. I did OTC pain killers. I had to hold the spot tight and then cough. Dr's told them there was nothing they could do to help me... time would heal it. We did some light ace bandages for a short time-- not sure it it helped much.

As soon as the cough lifted it, the rib pain slowly got better.

mamerth

I cracked/broke a rib 8 years ago (had a horrible cold and cough). I thought I was dying the pain was so bad. I hurt to cough, bend over, stretch. I did OTC pain killers. I had to hold the spot tight and then cough. Dr's told them there was nothing they could do to help me... time would heal it. We did some light ace bandages for a short time-- not sure it it helped much.

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth

M

MommyJen

My husband did the same thing before Thanksgiving. He fell on some planks, twisted his knee and hit his back. He went to the clinic and was told it was a bruised rib and sprained knee. About a week later, just as he thought he was starting to feel a bit better, he started coughing and heard his rib pop. He said the pain was so terrible it almost brought him to his knees for a moment. He had already been given Vicodin at his previous visit so he took a couple of those and tried to get some sleep. We ended up in the ER anyway. He cracked his already bruised rib from coughing. they sent him home on percocet, but there was nothing else they could really do for him. I work in the medical field and was told by some of the nurses to have him ace wrap it or to buy him a back brace and that would help hold things in place and relieve some of the discomfort, but he wouldn't try it. It took him a few weeks to begin to feel better. Sorry that happened to you. Hope you feel better soon.

M

MommyJen

My husband did the same thing before Thanksgiving. He fell on some planks, twisted his knee and hit his back. He went to the clinic and was told it was a bruised rib and sprained knee. About a week later, just as he thought he was starting to feel a bit better, he started coughing and heard his rib pop. He said the pain was so terrible it almost brought him to his knees for a moment. He had already been given Vicodin at his previous visit so he took a couple of those and tried to get some sleep. We ended up in the ER anyway. He cracked his already bruised rib from coughing. they sent him home on percocet, but there was nothing else they could really do for him. I work in the medical field and was told by some of the nurses to have him ace wrap it or to buy him a back brace and that would help hold things in place and relieve some of the discomfort, but he wouldn't try it. It took him a few weeks to begin to feel better. Sorry that happened to you. Hope you feel better soon.

M

MommyJen

M

MommyJen

M

MommyJen

Sevenstars

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>
</end quote></div>

Did it really hurt when you did that, or was it just a weird pop? Just from the stories here it seems like the pain would be unbearable. I've never broken a rib, but periodically for about 10 years I will get these.... 'snaps' in my lower ribcage. It feels terrible - it doesn't hurt per se, but it feels really really WEIRD. If you put your hand on the area, you can kinda feel something shift around.

I tried to explain this to my Doc and of course it never would snap in his presence. He guessed it was some 'cartilage anomaly' and I've written it off as that ever since.

Sevenstars

</end quote></div>

Did it really hurt when you did that, or was it just a weird pop? Just from the stories here it seems like the pain would be unbearable. I've never broken a rib, but periodically for about 10 years I will get these.... 'snaps' in my lower ribcage. It feels terrible - it doesn't hurt per se, but it feels really really WEIRD. If you put your hand on the area, you can kinda feel something shift around.

I tried to explain this to my Doc and of course it never would snap in his presence. He guessed it was some 'cartilage anomaly' and I've written it off as that ever since.

Sevenstars

</end quote></div>

Sevenstars

</end quote>

Sevenstars

</end quote>