craving limes

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Josh has recently been craving limes and eats them whole. He has been on imipenem since May and has almost stopped eating, except for an occasional smoothie. He gets all of his calories and nutients via g-tube feeds.

What is his body lacking that would cause a craving for limes?

I did a search think its maybe Vit. C deficiency (scurvy) which is common in teens and those with eating disorders. It listed symptoms and one was capillary wall ruptures. I wondered if this has anything to do with his hemoptysis a few weeks back?

Any ideas?

EnergyGal

Sounds interesting that your idea might be the cause. Anything is possible. I think it is hard to eat when you are depending on tube feedings. I had tube feedings in the hospital and I was pretty full afterward. I do remember that I could not wait to eat normal food afterward and had a huge appetite when they removed the feeding tube.

I hope he starts to eat normal amounts again real soon. His brother looks so healthy. Do you think he just accepted the way he looks and in his mind he is not trying to gain or has a fear that he will not achieve a goal such as gaining weight?

I know from times that I needed to gain or eat more, I had to will myself to do it. I had to think of a goal and tell myself that I could do it before I would get an appetitie. It was work.