CT scan in place of yearly x-rays?

amber682

At our last CF center appt, we were told they're no longer doing yearly x-rays on the kids, instead we will be doing CT scans every 2 years. Wondering if this is going on in anyone else's clinic? I'm happy because its more thorough, but I do have to say I'm a liyttle worried about all that extra radiation. And of course, my kids are young so they will need to be sedated.

amber682

At our last CF center appt, we were told they're no longer doing yearly x-rays on the kids, instead we will be doing CT scans every 2 years. Wondering if this is going on in anyone else's clinic? I'm happy because its more thorough, but I do have to say I'm a liyttle worried about all that extra radiation. And of course, my kids are young so they will need to be sedated.

amber682

<br />
<br />

ymikhale

I ased to have a CT scan for my dd who is 2.5 y/o so that we have a baseline. But they do not replace x rays in our case.

Did not know they sedated kids to do that. good to know.

ymikhale

I ased to have a CT scan for my dd who is 2.5 y/o so that we have a baseline. But they do not replace x rays in our case.

Did not know they sedated kids to do that. good to know.

ymikhale

<br />
<br />Did not know they sedated kids to do that. good to know.

S

sdelorenzo

I would think xray should be taken on the off year. My sons has his annual check up this past week. The dr and I
could not believe it when his annual xray showed a collapsed upper right
lung. We knew he had been having significant allergies for the past six months since we
moved into a new house, but he hasn't been coughing much at all.
Cat scans are good too! The radiation does scare me. My kids clinic doesn't do them.
I had to take my kids at another clinic to get one.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 9 and Jack, 6 both with CF, grant 18 months no CF

S

sdelorenzo

I would think xray should be taken on the off year. My sons has his annual check up this past week. The dr and I
could not believe it when his annual xray showed a collapsed upper right
lung. We knew he had been having significant allergies for the past six months since we
moved into a new house, but he hasn't been coughing much at all.
Cat scans are good too! The radiation does scare me. My kids clinic doesn't do them.
I had to take my kids at another clinic to get one.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 9 and Jack, 6 both with CF, grant 18 months no CF

S

sdelorenzo

<br />could not believe it when his annual xray showed a collapsed upper right
<br />lung. We knew he had been having significant allergies for the past six months since we
<br />moved into a new house, but he hasn't been coughing much at all.
<br />Cat scans are good too! The radiation does scare me. My kids clinic doesn't do them.
<br />I had to take my kids at another clinic to get one.
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 9 and Jack, 6 both with CF, grant 18 months no CF

BaylorCrew07

This is really interesting...I've only had 1 lung x-ray (ONE!) and 1 contrast CT scan - both upon being diagnosed w/ CF 6 years ago. About a year after the xray/CT, I asked if I was due for another one, and my doctor told me they only do xrays if there is a problem, or they suspect something is wrong, in order to avoid too much unnecessary radiation, since we'll be having them done a lot throughout our lives.

Do most clinics do yearly xrays??

BaylorCrew07

This is really interesting...I've only had 1 lung x-ray (ONE!) and 1 contrast CT scan - both upon being diagnosed w/ CF 6 years ago. About a year after the xray/CT, I asked if I was due for another one, and my doctor told me they only do xrays if there is a problem, or they suspect something is wrong, in order to avoid too much unnecessary radiation, since we'll be having them done a lot throughout our lives.

Do most clinics do yearly xrays??

BaylorCrew07

<br />
<br />Do most clinics do yearly xrays??

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We stopped doing xrays at the local CF center as they were always indicating infiltration, thickening of the chest wall and other major issues, so his doctor in the City would order CT or Lung Scans and they'd be fine.

He's had two lung scans which involve inhaling a radioactive isotope. And he's had I believe two CT scans. So I suspect his clinic is leaning toward that as well for a moer accurate picture of what's going on.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We stopped doing xrays at the local CF center as they were always indicating infiltration, thickening of the chest wall and other major issues, so his doctor in the City would order CT or Lung Scans and they'd be fine.

He's had two lung scans which involve inhaling a radioactive isotope. And he's had I believe two CT scans. So I suspect his clinic is leaning toward that as well for a moer accurate picture of what's going on.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />He's had two lung scans which involve inhaling a radioactive isotope. And he's had I believe two CT scans. So I suspect his clinic is leaning toward that as well for a moer accurate picture of what's going on.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has never been sedated either. They did have him NPO once, just in case, but he's been doing this since he was 2 and did just fine. He thinks it's kinda cool and is able to stay still.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has never been sedated either. They did have him NPO once, just in case, but he's been doing this since he was 2 and did just fine. He thinks it's kinda cool and is able to stay still.