Cub Scouting Precautions?

Gammaw

Super Moderator
My 9 year old has joined the cub scouts. He has wanted to for three years and he is thrilled to be there. But after only a couple of months, they are planning a 5km hike and an overnight camping trip. My initial reaction was no, no. No hiking. But I know it will be good for him . . . .if we can get them to carry enough Gatorade to keep him hydrated. He dehydrates SO fast, he's beenin trouble a couple of times despite our efforts to keep him well hydrated. But even if I can get myself past that, the overnight camping trip has me confounded. I see aspergillis in the leaves, b cepacia in the dirt, pseudo in the river, streams and lake. . . . . No, I'm not interested in putting him in a bubble. We live in the woods, and he plays, climbs trees and goes on explorations. But I'm there to ensure no pooled water or streams or lakes or rivers make their way into his mouth, nose or eyes. When he's done playing we wash up - in the house. We avoid stacks of leaves to roll in (although he has experienced that joy on several occasions). He is "allowed" to play in the dirt to some extent, but again with precautions in mind, and clean up within 100 feet.
Any practical suggestions from those who camp to help him avoid situations risky to his health? I am NOT a camper. What situations do we look out for? What do we do to ensure a healthy as well as fun experience? Anyone?

Oboe

Gotta let kids be kids. Heck, I grew up swimming in a sink hole for years. 5km also isn't that long, that's about an hour's walk. Maybe a little longer to compensate for a group and stops.

Then again, I'm not a parent. I'm only responsible for myself. Best bet, I'd think, is that the kid knows to keep himself hydrated, avoid the things that are obviously filthy, and carry some hand sanitizer for when he can't. Knowing myself at that age, I'd be more concerned with him remembering to take his pills and all that.

These are scouts, they do this all the time. It'll probably be a good time for everyone.

nmw0615

My first camping trip was before my first birthday. I can count on one hand the number of camping trips I have missed since then. I remember to stay hydrated; maybe enlist the help of some of his friends/hike leader to keep your son, and everyone hiking, hydrated.

I have been swimming in pools, lakes, rivers, the ocean and never once worried about bacteria. I probably ate dirt at one time. I know my sister did (we have it on film), so I probably did too. Do I grow bacterial infections in my lungs? Yup. But I have just a good a chance of having gotten them from my shower as anything I did as a kid. But I have those amazing memories to hold on to forever.

I can only speak to this as a person with CF, not as a parent. But inform the group about hydration (making it important for all), give your child some hand sanitizer, and remind him to not drink from rivers/lakes/sitting pools of water. It'll be a wonderful experience for him to have.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
A couple of thoughts...is it possible for dad to go one the first encounter so that you can see what if any issues there are? What about easing in by doing hike but not overnight? Also another angle to consider is whether those leading the session are comfortable taking that kind of responsibility. It sure sucks being the parent and trying to weigh it all. Best luck with whatever you decide!hugs

Melissa75

Administrator
One of the hardest things about being a parent is letting your child be somewhere that you consider risky under other people's care. For example, letting my child go with another family to an ocean with riptides, or to an amusement park where he could get lost or somehow not be buckled in to the roller coaster. Basically, I'm somewhat tense the entire day these events take place. So, I hear you.

I've got one question and one suggestion.

The question is: Isn't a parent/adult caregiver supposed to accompany your son on these scouting events? With my sons, it wasn't until the older *boy* not *cub* scouts (11+) that the kids didn't have their own grown-up.

The suggestion is: Do some trial 5k walks with your son before this event. This seems to me to be the biggest variable. So, if you know he is well conditioned and has a good hydration protocol, so much of the worry will be gone.

Wait...one more thing...depending on your son's asthma component (i.e. does he have one?), I'd be concerned about campfires. I have asthma and I avoid campfires. The inflammation they cause me is more risky IMO and in my case, than rolling in dirt or snorting lake water. But that is me and my asthma and non-CF bronch.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Well we do think a lot alike AboveAll. His Dad has some breathing issues which might make it difficult but he's willing to go if it comes down to that. We've been brainstorming relatives who might be a good substitute and we've come up with two possibilities if they're able and willing. They both tend to work weekends so they might not be able. And they're not terribly knowledgeable about CF danger zones, so they'd need a more thorough crash course. Of course our little guy just looks at us and says hey, I'll be with my den and pack leader! What's the big deal? Perhaps he's right. But I'm not willing to go there just yet. I don't know what issues might arise. I haven't camped since I was a teen and it wasn't a very "rugged" experience then either! It's hard walking the tight rope between overprotective and appropriately cautious. Heck, I still blame myself for PA because he jumped in a hot tub at a classmates pool party when I wasn't looking. Dumb, but I'll never forget it!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Thanks Melissa. Campfires - I hadn't thought about that. He has an "asthma like component" but not dx asthma. We have a gas fire pit which hasn't been a problem. But obviously campfires are more polluting. Not sure what we do about that. Make sure he stays back and away? Not likely! Too fascinating and too much fun. Do u simply stay away from them? And perhaps some trial 5k walks. He actually got his hiking badge - they did a 1 mile geocaching hike in 94 degree heat. I was a nervous wreck. Sent him with two jugs of Gatorade and a dozen salt packets and threatened his leaders life.....well, not expressly but I had that look in my eye. Gave them my cell number and told them to call if he even thought about complaining of headache or dizziness. I stayed close. He made it and said he was fine but drank a 64 oz. Gatorade I had in the car inside 15 minutes. I hear you....a parent really can hold their breath for 2 hours or more!!!!!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Ps the manipulative me That i try to keep under wraps might also come up with, well when you're old enough to do the blood draws calmly, I think you'll be mature enough to be able to do a camping trip with the scout master.... :)

imported_Momto2

When I was a child in the 1970's my family used to go on 2-3 day camping trips down a river in Michigan. The conditions were filthy, the food totally inadequate and filled with bugs, we always tipped the canoes and got soaked, my only meds we could bring were enzymes, no nebulizer since there wasnt electricity..........it was AMAZING and we had trips of a lifetime together that I will never forget. God bless my parents for treating me like a normal kid. Not once do I remember being sick afterwards or picking up any nasty bugs...well, OK, there was the time that I got into a hornets nest and got stung over 30 times, but thats another story........but the point is, I have those memories to draw strength from when I am sick now, because I HAVE LIVED

ethan508

So what did you decided to do?

I totally agree with the above statements about having a parent come along for the first 1-2 campouts. I did tons of scout camping as a kid including 2 weeklong Boy Scout camps, a JLT, and a few high adventure trips. One weeklong camp I had bad guts every morning during my Senior Patrol Leader meetings. I learned to delegate my responsibilities to my Assistants while I ran off to the outhouse to take care of business. Despite the bad guts I still earned several merit badges at that camp.

Finding the right troop might take some looking. Find a Scoutmaster that is willing to make it work for your boy, and not one that thinks the badges or outings are more important than the boys. My dad was on the troop committee and came on a few camps which probably helped me more than I know. As a teen I went to a national Jamboree and historical tour back East for 18 nights. For that one I was in with a Troop where the assistant Scoutmaster was a Dr. whose wife had CF. So he was able to keep his eye on me (not that I think I needed it). I'd take the risk for those memories any day.

In a couple years, if you make it out to Utah your boy can be in my Boy Scout Troop. I've done multiple week long camps and high adventures as an adult (including a 50 mile backpack trip). I bring a generator to week-long camps for doing the vest and nebs. Nothing like puffing hypersal around a campfire. For shorter camps I'll bring a MDI and a Pep mask and hit my more serious nebs right before I leave and right after I get home. I've been looking at getting a power inverter or a 12V neb pump, so I could just do nebs in the car. For multi-night backpacking trips, I'll miss my pulmozyme or hypersal for a day or two when we are deep backwoods, but then I plan for a support vehicle to meet us somewhere so I can do my treatments.

In many ways I feel better when I'm up in the mountains than at home. I hope your boy can have some of those same great outdoors experiences.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Wow Ethan. You have scouting and camping down to a science. That helps a lot. Really. I decided he should go camping but I really wanted an adult with him specifically who could help point out ways of doing things that would avoid particularly risky situations - like no swimming in rivers, take your meds and let me know if you're wheezing. I was in the process of assessing relatives as potential candidates when the outing was canceled. I know many think that parents shouldn't in any way restrict their children's activities based on their CF status, but I don't feel that's prudent. The more we know about sources of infections and the more accurately we can assess risks, the more I feel compelled to just make good decisions. Some CFERS have mild versions and can greater afford risks. Some are in the severe category like my little guy who already has several strikes against his potential longevity. I will not wrap him in a bubble. He enjoys most everything but hot tubs! But I won't throw him into harms way either and tell him to enjoy. I love him. It's my job to protect him, prepare him, and help him manage his condition. I want him around with good lung function when this disease is conquered. Soon I hope. Your post is wonderful to hear. And when the camping season comes around again, I would love to ask you more questions! Thanks so much for your post.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Well, I really have to update the scouting saga here. Perhaps I'm the only parent who ever worried about this, but that wouldn't surprise me. My Scout has now spent an entire week in the wild - well, not quite so wild. The Boy Scout Camp here is huge and remote, but it does have a number of buildings, including a health cabin, equipped with electricity although of course the camping sites do not. I hauled his Respirtech vest and a portable nebulizer compressor (Pari Vios) up there and a lovely nurse who volunteers her time had him come in twice a day to do his treatments. That was a lot easier for me. Nothing else so far works on him as well as his vest. They routinely sent a Gator to go get him and bring him in for treatments. We hauled lots of Gatorade that the nurse kept in the fridge (although he's perfectly happy with it at room temperature) and of course his usual meds. He was allowed to keep his enzymes in his pocket but his Scout leader reminded him when to take them. That's one of the problems when your CFer is also dyslexic - he forgets a lot of things! But he had the time of his life and learned that sleeping under the stars is great, even when covered with mosquito bites (yes I sent bug repellant, but . . . . well, he forgets things!)

There are, however, lots of trips they take to places without electricity. So the suggestions I received from so many included using PEP devices and using generators and inverters, hookups to car batteries, etc. would doubtlessly work in various configurations. While discussing these options with his troop administrators, I was amazed to find that several of the Scout officials were engineers, electricians, etc with specialized knowledge and an amazing willingness to find a way. They decided to start fund raising for solar panels to install on the troop trailer, so they could hook them up to batteries with enough charge to power his daily treatments. While discussing it with various parents, one kindly soul whose company sells them donated a set! They are planning on using some troop funds to buy the batteries and others have volunteered to install everything on the troop trailer. An incredible group of people who care about my one enthusiastic smiling scout. I am touched, heartened and grateful. Anyone who says anything bad about the Boy Scouts should come talk to me. They don't just say they are all inclusive. They ARE all inclusive beyond expectation. Thank you all.
Buy popcorn from your Boy Scout Troop. It can be higher priced than Walmart, I'll grant you. But the money goes to a really good cause and a really good use.

J

Jane

Both my CF boys are Eagle Scouts. They had many wonderful experiences through Scouting. It wasn't easy but we made it work too. The Boy Scouts are a wonderful organization!