Curious about Prenatal Testing for CF

K

Kristina786

I just found out I am pregnant. I have two children already, oldest without CF and youngest with CF. There was no history of CF in our families so I as never had any testing done. I know that you can have the fetus tested to see if they will have CF. I was hoping to find someone who may have had tests done while they were pregnant that might have some advice on what to expect and what their experience was like.

Thanks

LouLou

you may want to post this in the family section as typically this section is people with cf who are seeking or are pregnant. I believe you can get the results from the CVS test but may require an amnio.

D

Dhobs

Amnio is the only way I know that the baby can be tested prenatally. It was offered to me but I declined. CF didn't run in my family but the amnio tests for all sorts of things. I was keeping the baby no matter what. I guess it depends on if it will change the status of your pregnancy.

ktett821

I had the CVS test done at 13 weeks. It had to be done during a very specific timeframe (like between 10 and 13 weeks). Amnio can't be done until 16 weeks. CVS is slightly more risky than amnio, although both carry risks. Even though we were keeping our baby either way, I wanted to know as soon as I could. The procedure itself wasn't too bad. The doctor and ultrasound tech do the test by inserting a needle through the cervix to remove a sample from the amniotic sack. It wasn't painful for me although I've heard it can be for some women. I had a little spotting afterwords, and had to stay off my feet for the rest of that day but that was it. The worst part for me was waiting for the results, as we had no idea we were carriers until that pregnancy (my second).
Hope that helps!

aannddd

I had an amino at 26 weeks. It was a short procedure that was slightly uncomfortable. With both CVS and amino this is a slight risk of miscarriage. That is why I waited about so long into my pregnancy. Test results took about 2 weeks. Both CVS and an amino can be used to test a fetus for CF.

morriss

Isn't there a new blood test (foetal cell free DNA) were they can draw the mother's blood to analyses the baby's DNA that is present in it.