Dealing with Smoke and Fires

Lance2020x

I live in Northern California where fires are not uncommon.
As I'm sure you've heard we are having some pretty severe fires in the area at the moment and one of the side effects that nobody talks about is the SMOKE.
I can tell if there's a fire in town/nearby the instant I wake up just by the way my lungs feel.

Has anybody here found any tricks or recommendations for dealing with fire smoke? Are there any purifiers or anything that help? Masks? I just try to stay indoors when there is a fire, but even then my lungs feel sort of odd and extra phlegmy and icky, even if the fire is really far away!

B

bookworm

Winix Air Purifier 5500 is a good model for removing smoke. Best practices to modify it to make it last longer and purify more include, use 2 of the carbon filters instead of 1 and also add an air conditioner filter of 1/4 inch polyurethane foam on top (costs a buck or two.) Replace the polyurethane foam monthly and vacuum the other filters monthly to extend their life. I got these tips from an engineer who had modified his winix air filter 5500 and posted his reviews on Amazon.com. He gives a thorough review of it and honestly, if you're looking to remove smoke, these do the job.

Some people say they have difficulty with the sensor not working correctly, but this may be because of poor setup practices. If you get the unit, assemble it and run it on Turbo for an hour. Then shut it down and turn it on and let the sensors adjust then. (only required for first time operation).

If you want to keep a really nice level of freshness, I recommend you leave the machine on high all the time. Also, if you are very sensitive to chemicals, when you first run the unit, run it for a few days in an area where you are not over exposed to it. (Say run it in a living room if you are spending most of your time in another room.) The carbon filter seems to gas off for a few days (minimal). However, what you will find is that for the price point, they do remove smoke very well, their specifications are accurate and thank goodness they are quiet.

I've tried a lot of filters, whole home filtration and am quite happy with the Winix performance. We live in a town that is always smoky from campfires and many of our neighbours burn fires to get rid of yard waste.

I have also found that sometimes I will start coughing and can't understand why and I will walk by the air purifier and note that it will show that the air quality is not great.. (the indicators go from green to red) and it's nice to use the control on Turbo for a few minutes to get the quality to green pronto.

Another plus is that the unit is lightweight, so that means if I want to move one of the units to where I am going to be spending a lot of time, I can move it there a few minutes before I go in and make sure the air is optimal by the time I get in there. Read the specs on particle size removal for smoke and CFM for room for any unit you buy. This model of Winix moves a lot of air and removes smoke pretty quickly.

Lance2020x

Thanks Bookworm, I really appreciate it!
I did a bunch of research and decided to order one. This is my first purifier ever, so I'm really excited.

azdesertrat

I live in Central AZ- another state known for it's summertime fire season.
We have a mountain covered in Ponderosa Pine that is 8,700 ft ASL (Above Sea Level) around 7-10 miles south of town, as the crow flies.
When MY mountain catches fire, I leave town.
I either go to the White Mtns. where my brother has a place, or to the PHX metro area, where I have family. I've never found an in-home air purifier device that worked good enough to filter the smoke to the point of me feeling better.
My suggestion is obvious; leave town if you can.

B

bookworm

Hi azdertrat,

I agree that the best option is always avoidance, but sometimes, it just isn't possible. In situations like that it helps to take advantage of anything that can make you feel better.

Lance2020x,

I'm including a link to a public health document about managing your risk assessment during wildfires that will give you some tips you can use along with the air purifier. It has some info on masks, vacuuming, managing air intakes in the home, and also judging the risk of the fire and when you need to stay in your "clean room". For anyone who is interested it also has a lot of information for picking out effective air purifiers. That said, nothing is as effective as removing yourself from the smoke. :)

http://oehha.ca.gov/air/risk_assess/wildfirev8.pdf