Decision

anonymous

My mother has a student who was recently diagnosed with cf. He is about 15. His parents don't know much English and have no knowledge of the disease, not even that it is terminal. Should she tell his parents more about it so that they can seek treatment, or just not tell them so that they won't always be thinking about his death?

anonymous

My mother has a student who was recently diagnosed with cf. He is about 15. His parents don't know much English and have no knowledge of the disease, not even that it is terminal. Should she tell his parents more about it so that they can seek treatment, or just not tell them so that they won't always be thinking about his death?

B

B

It is impertiave the parents know enough to get treatment. Your comment on their worring of his death is not necessary warrented. Yes, at present time there is no cure for CF. However, there are consistanly new treatments which extend life as well as improve the quality of life. With proper care, CF patients can live a long and fullfield life. I am 26, I have a full demanding professional career, and live an active life. I even ride my own Full size Harley Davidson. I do not feel that I am waiting to die. In fact, when it comes to veiwing CF as terminal, Life, no matter what you have or do not have, is terminal. I have had atleast three close calls with my life. Two extrememly close that I swear angles watching over me is the only way I survived. NONE of these instances were realated to CF in anyway!Chance are, if he is 15 and just now being diagnosed, his case is not severe. However, proper care and treatment are extremely important to sustain a helathly life.

B

B

It is impertiave the parents know enough to get treatment. Your comment on their worring of his death is not necessary warrented. Yes, at present time there is no cure for CF. However, there are consistanly new treatments which extend life as well as improve the quality of life. With proper care, CF patients can live a long and fullfield life. I am 26, I have a full demanding professional career, and live an active life. I even ride my own Full size Harley Davidson. I do not feel that I am waiting to die. In fact, when it comes to veiwing CF as terminal, Life, no matter what you have or do not have, is terminal. I have had atleast three close calls with my life. Two extrememly close that I swear angles watching over me is the only way I survived. NONE of these instances were realated to CF in anyway!Chance are, if he is 15 and just now being diagnosed, his case is not severe. However, proper care and treatment are extremely important to sustain a helathly life.

hepcat

I agree with B. She needs to get them in touch with a hospital that has a CF team. Someone can then sit down with the boy, the parents, a translator, and a doctor, to give them correct information. Not just about CF, but about <i>his</i> life. Everyone with CF is different. Case in point. When I was diagnosed, I was pretty sick and my parents were told not to expect a 2nd birthday. Now I am almost 24, married, a mother of a 1 yr old, and a teacher! Based on statistics alone, they never could have predicted the wonderful life I've had. But, they need information if they are to <i>keep</i> him as healthy or healthier than he's been. That's my advice.Hepcat

anonymous

I toltally agree with Biker Babe and Hepcat! The parents must be made aware of all the possibilities for a person with CF. I find it hard to believe that the hospital hasn't managed to get the info accross to the family yet with a translator. Not to explain things and make sure they understand would be neglectful on the hospital's part!!!!! Someone should contact the docs to let them know that the parents are clueless to the realities of their son's situation. Someone must teach them about CF, and most importantly, someone must teach the son about the meds and therapy and whatnot. After all he is the one who will have to do them.Andrea

anonymous

Thank you so much to those who responded to the post I made. I have asked my mom to talk to his parents so that he can seek treatment.