Depression & anxiety (a new way to cope)

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Hey everyone :) Hope you all are having a good if not decent week. I can't believe it's November already! Feels great here in Cincinnati today. Unseasonably warm at 73 degrees. Wish it would stay that way. Anyway,

We get a lot of posts asking about how to deal with depression & anxiety so I thought I would post this in hopes of possibly helping a few people if any. Adult coloring has become insanely popular recently. I've seen coloring books everywhere I go so I decided to give it a try. You don't even need artistic talent to color! Coloring is for everyone. It's cheap and easy. There are simple designs available as well as more intricate ones. I suggest starting simple to avoid being too intimidated. Color with whatever materials you feel comfortable with. I've been using gel pens but I also love colored pencils. I would suggest starting with a set of 24 pencils to get a good variety of colors

Instead of sleeping all the time I've been coloring the past few weeks. It's even more relaxing if you light some candles and listen to soothing sounds or music. Rain, waterfalls, the ocean. Give it a try! You can frame your finished piece and display in your home or give as gifts.

Here are some examples I've done so far...

Currently working on this one. These designs are from the Mystical Mandala coloring book. You can get here:http://www.amazon.com/Mystical-Mand...d=1446760207&sr=8-1&keywords=mystical+mandala

Don't wanna buy a coloring book? Search google or Pinterest for FREE coloring pages. Plenty to choose from.

Imogene

Administrator
Hi Amber:
I am so glad you found this cost effective way to make beautiful pictures and to keep depression and anxiety at bay!
You are always so helpful and creative!
Little Lab suggested a new book to me that in a roundabout way discusses depression...based not on what automatically comes to mind...our brain...but our gut!
Maybe he can discuss more with us.
I have been knitting the most simple head bands... just nine stiches...and then long enough to fit around my head.
All the unusual yarns now available makes them look like jewelry!
I can't wait for our new site and featuring all your talent!
Salt and Light,
Jeanne

What an amazing idea! I think this is a great idea!! Also love knitting (my true love is dyeing yarn & knitting away.....) I think the idea of spending quiet time working one piece at a time in the adult coloring book type pictures is calming AND creating something beautiful to hang up. Thanks for sharing!!

nmw0615

Depression & anxiety (a new way to cope)

I also love to knit, Treasure. The repetitive action is so calming and really helps me control my anxiety and OCD. I've started using hospital stays to knit family members blankets.