Depression CF related

Rlawyer

Hi. Just wondering how many of you or your loved ones with CF suffer from any form of depression. Years ago, I was prescribed Paxil by my CF Clinic doctor after breaking down in tears during one of my early visits. Later after seeing a mental health professional, I was described Adderall, after they diagnosed me as being ADD. They also gave me Xanax to sleep, and I was on this roller coaster of ups and downs for years, until I quit everything on my own. I still suffer from bouts of depression and it obviously affects my willingness to adhere to treatments and take car of myself, in general.
Any, Do you any of you suffer anything like this along with your CF? I just wonder if it " goes with the territory" so to speak. I am 58 years old, diagnosed 15 years ago with lung functions between 40 and 50%. Also CFRD.

jricci

Super Moderator
Depression and anxiety are common in CF. Dealing with a life-threatening, chronic disease on a daily basis is difficult. And the fact that we don't have the option of going to a face to face support group with others traveling the same road doesn't help matters. The prevalence and importance of diagnosis and treatment of anxiety and depression is just beginning to be recognized by CF caregivers. It was a focus at the NACFC last week. Here's a link from CFF that that has info. from conference last week:
https://www.cff.org/CF-Community-Bl...ng-the-Conversation-About-Emotional-Wellness/

jaimers

Super Moderator
I struggle with depression and have for years. Primarily CF related. I am not currently taking medication for it but I have in the past and they were helpful. For me it kind of waxes and wanes. I'll be doing quite well for a long time and then the depression kind of creeps back into the forefront of my life. I've been to counseling off and on (currently on) over the last 8 years or so and it was beneficial for me. Not everyone finds it helpful but for me it was. Like jricci said, depression and chronic illness are often linked together. If you search the forums for "depression" I think you'll find a few previous discussions with information that is really helpful. You're not alone!

K

kenna2

I suffer from anxiety and depression. Right now i'm on 7.5 mg of Remeron. I'm still in the adjustment period of it. I was just taken off Effexor (which you need to be tapered off of because if you miss a dose you have flu like symptoms) You take it at night because it makes you sleep and as a bonus a side effect is weight gain. I also have Ativan on hand for anxiety but only take that as needed. I also see a therapist one a week to help me through all this as well. It's been working so far. Best of luck!

nmw0615

I've dealt with depression and anxiety for several years now. I take 15mg of remeron and see a therapist to also help. I say the remeron puts my thoughts in order so I can work through them in therapy. I still have ups and downs, but I'm better able to recognize and work through my down periods than I was in the past.

meech

I have suffered from very bad depression since about the age of 12. Unfortunately for me I have a family doctor who because of this put all of health issues down to my depression. Now over 25 years later and not just accepting that depression was the cause of all my issues, I have now been re diagnosed with CF, diagnosed with hereditary angioedema, myasthenia gravis, and found out my "type 2" diabetes was really cfrd and my "panic attacks" are a blood pressure thing.

BUT the depression is still there. I think when your physical health isn't good it will impact your mental health and vice versa, but depression also runs in my family.

tjs23

I have had bad anxiety and depression problems since about 3rd or 4th grade also have adhd I didn't know i had CF till I was 20 (im 22 now) but having chronic physical illness tends to normally bring out your depression more.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I take a very low dose of Remeron as well. It actually makes me hungry (great for gaining weight!) and sleepy at the same time. It's the best of both worlds :) I personally do not recommend Xanax as it is one of the most addictive drugs available today. I became moderately addicted after using it for sleep at the highest dose of 1mg for 5 years. I had to be slowly weaned off towards lower doses over a few weeks. I've heard Ativan doesn't have that addictive feel. I believe medicine doesn't help depression 100% Anti-depressants are not miracle pills. Attitude towards life has a lot to do with it. If you say you can't do something then you won't. Believe you can and you're halfway there. I write in a journal, read, even color. Adult coloring books have become very popular recently. A great way to calm nerves. I really want to start yoga as well.

Just a quick note:

I received a local CF news letter in the mail last week and they mentioned they are seeing a lot of anxiety and depression in CF patients so they did a study for teens, adults and parents of children with CF. My center is now screening patients for possible signs of anxiety and depression. Here are the results of the study:

static

Reserved (can we do that lol- I might write something later)

I also wanted to say that all of you, but especially beautifulsoul, inspire me. For me right now, I prefer anonymity but it is nice to connect a face with a message.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Reserved (can we do that lol- I might write something later)

I also wanted to say that all of you, but especially beautifulsoul, inspire me. For me right now, I prefer anonymity but it is nice to connect a face with a message.

Thank you so much! To know that I lived to inspire at least one person then I've done enough. (L) Hugs to you,

rubyroselee

I have both depression and anxiety as well. I have tried multiple medications, but I ultimately decided that I am better off without them at this point.