did i screw up?

T

theDUDE

I told my tx center that i have tried marijuana, do you guys think they would hold that against me now? i havent smoked weed in 2 years, when i did it was probably once every 3 weeks, for about 4 months, i also told them i have an occasional drink, will they hold all of that against when deciding on putting me on the list? thanks

T

theDUDE

I told my tx center that i have tried marijuana, do you guys think they would hold that against me now? i havent smoked weed in 2 years, when i did it was probably once every 3 weeks, for about 4 months, i also told them i have an occasional drink, will they hold all of that against when deciding on putting me on the list? thanks

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

Pumuckl

They should not hold that against you. They will have certain requirements you will have to meet pre and post transplant. Drug use and smoking etc are obviously out. We are allowed the occassional drink so that should not be an issue.

Remember what they are looking for is that the lungs will go to someone that will take good care of them. They also understand we are human.

Pumuckl

They should not hold that against you. They will have certain requirements you will have to meet pre and post transplant. Drug use and smoking etc are obviously out. We are allowed the occassional drink so that should not be an issue.

Remember what they are looking for is that the lungs will go to someone that will take good care of them. They also understand we are human.

Pumuckl

Pumuckl

Pumuckl

<br />
<br />Remember what they are looking for is that the lungs will go to someone that will take good care of them. They also understand we are human.

coltsfan715

I don't think they would hold it against you BUT it may be something that they try and monitor for in lab work or something down the road. I only say that since they know you have a history of it they may just do random checks to make sure you are not still practicing.

I hope that makes since. If it makes you feel any better at my annual the social worker asked me how everything was going in regards to drug and alcohol use. I just laughed and then realized she was serious.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I don't think they would hold it against you BUT it may be something that they try and monitor for in lab work or something down the road. I only say that since they know you have a history of it they may just do random checks to make sure you are not still practicing.

I hope that makes since. If it makes you feel any better at my annual the social worker asked me how everything was going in regards to drug and alcohol use. I just laughed and then realized she was serious.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />I hope that makes since. If it makes you feel any better at my annual the social worker asked me how everything was going in regards to drug and alcohol use. I just laughed and then realized she was serious.
<br />
<br />Take Care,
<br />Lindsey

jimleman

Dude -- I received my bilateral double lung transplant in May 1996. One requirement at my center, Loyola Univ. Medical Center in suburban Chicago, was a certain length of time from drug/alcohol use and your transplant listing. It was a five-year requirement for my center at the time. I was 44 at date of transplant and I had been a heavy drinker up until 1991 when I went into AA. That was exactly 5 years from the day I was evaluated for the transplant. Here is what I believe is the reason for any stipulation about drug/alcohol use history in transplant candidates: Your docs want to be sure you have the discipline to handle the post-transplant regime, which can be a challenge. That can be hard to do for anyone still taking drugs or abusing alcohol. They want to make sure the transplant gift will be used by someone dedicated to making the most out of this new lease on life...the other reason is your body will be healthier without substances floating in it. I started visiting a gym two years ago for three times a week (first time since forced-gym in high school)and have put on 18 pounds and some muscle on my formerly thin frame...never thought that possible before, but with the transplant I am now healthy and what I eat, more of it goes to building muscle, etc. Best of luck to you...discuss your situation again with your transplant team and if pot smoking is a problem for you seek out help through one of the 12-step programs.

jimleman

Dude -- I received my bilateral double lung transplant in May 1996. One requirement at my center, Loyola Univ. Medical Center in suburban Chicago, was a certain length of time from drug/alcohol use and your transplant listing. It was a five-year requirement for my center at the time. I was 44 at date of transplant and I had been a heavy drinker up until 1991 when I went into AA. That was exactly 5 years from the day I was evaluated for the transplant. Here is what I believe is the reason for any stipulation about drug/alcohol use history in transplant candidates: Your docs want to be sure you have the discipline to handle the post-transplant regime, which can be a challenge. That can be hard to do for anyone still taking drugs or abusing alcohol. They want to make sure the transplant gift will be used by someone dedicated to making the most out of this new lease on life...the other reason is your body will be healthier without substances floating in it. I started visiting a gym two years ago for three times a week (first time since forced-gym in high school)and have put on 18 pounds and some muscle on my formerly thin frame...never thought that possible before, but with the transplant I am now healthy and what I eat, more of it goes to building muscle, etc. Best of luck to you...discuss your situation again with your transplant team and if pot smoking is a problem for you seek out help through one of the 12-step programs.

jimleman

jimleman

jimleman