diffusing essential oils

H

heidikk

I have several friends who claim great success keeping their families healthy by using essential oils in a diffuser. In doing some research on the web, I found that there are certain oils that can be greatly helpful for those with CF, but I also found that there can be some concern for CF kids about any diffuser that uses water along with the oil? Not sure why? Anyone here use a diffuser or know which ones do or do not use water? or if that's even being overly worried and I can really pick whatever diffuser I want? ;) TIA - Heidi mom of Dekorrah - 5mo son with Delta F-508 CF

kristenj

Hi Heidi, I am just starting to research essential oils myself. I have found some really encouraging information. I would google Cystic Fibrosis and Essential Oils and also it looks as if the do Terra brand is the most certified brand available. My neighbor just introduced it to me. I found several great testimonials of CF patients and their experience with essential oils. I would definitely pick a diffuser that does not use water though because water is generally a breeding ground for bacteria. Many of the oils recommended for CFers kill bacteria, however, I don't think it is a good idea to have extra moisture in the air. I am continuing to research this before I jump in with both feet, but I currently see a naturopath along side my CF clinic. No one ever agrees on anything and I find it ridiculously frustrating. So we will see where I get with this new research! Good luck to you and I would be curious to hear how it goes! Take care!~

H

heidikk

DmT145, this is the first I'd heard of lipoid pneumonia so I had to go look it up. At this point in my research, it looks like lipoid pneumonia is not only very rare, but comes from inhaling or aspirating cooking or mineral oils. There are no cases I could find of lipoid pneumonia being tied to essential oil use. I think I'd be more concerned about the oil based vitamins that he choked on. :( That said, I think I'll just stick with using the oils topically for now. KristenJ - doterra, young living, and heritage all look really good :)

SDRNYC

Do Terra? Therapeutic? No such thing.

Hi Heidi, I am just starting to research essential oils myself. I have found some really encouraging information. I would google Cystic Fibrosis and Essential Oils and also it looks as if the do Terra brand is the most certified brand available. My neighbor just introduced it to me. I found several great testimonials of CF patients and their experience with essential oils. I would definitely pick a diffuser that does not use water though because water is generally a breeding ground for bacteria. Many of the oils recommended for CFers kill bacteria, however, I don't think it is a good idea to have extra moisture in the air. I am continuing to research this before I jump in with both feet, but I currently see a naturopath along side my CF clinic. No one ever agrees on anything and I find it ridiculously frustrating. So we will see where I get with this new research! Good luck to you and I would be curious to hear how it goes! Take care!~

Hi Heidi & Kristen,

I think that it's irresponsible to suggest an essential oil as the best without doing serious homework on companies both why they were created and where the oils come from. I'm also and Oiler and love them. Because I use them in my daily life and decided to make a small investment in changing my household inclusive of essential oils, I took time out when I was on the west coast to stop by the Young Living Farm in Utah. I toured the plant where they test the oils and had an opportunity to ask a lot of questions. Now, I'm not a Dr. or an Aromatherapist, but I will tell you this. Do Terra was formed as a spin off of YL because they felt they could do it cheaper and better. Their Trademark read[FONT=Franklin Gothic Book, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade. But that's just it. It's a trademark with no industry standard for "Therapeutic". YL owns their own organic farms in the US, France & Ecuador as well as a business relationships with the Omani Government for distilling hand picked Frankincense resin! Do Terra doesn't. It outsources all of it's own oils and their distillation process are far below YL who has a very strict distillation processes along with in house and independent testing for YL's "Therapeutic" quality. Why am I so passionate about this? Whey would you allow a child to breathe in an essential oil that is not the highest quality on the market?

SDR[/FONT]

smithj

Hi SDRNYC, Im just starting to get into essential oils and I have been wondering if there really is that big of a difference between the types of Essential Oils. Do you really think Young Living is the best company to purchase from? I see that there are a lot of people selling it, but they also seem to be quite expensive which is why I am asking. Another question for you. What Essential Oil diffuser would you recommend. I'm trying to decide on my first one and I am thinking of buying a diffuser from this list.
https://www.healthwatchlist.com/best-essential-oil-diffusers/

ethan508

I think putting oils in the air (diffuser) with CF in the home is ill-considered. Most of an essential oil is made out of a carrier base oil (like olive oil) with a small percentage of the essential oil ingredients. So if the oil is particlized and inhaled, the body has to find a way to dispose of the oil. Mucus and cilia in the airways is the natural mechanism to remove those oil particles from lungs. We all know that the mucus in CF lungs isn't too effective at keeping the lungs clean. So despite lipoid pneumonia being rare, CF-ers have the entirely right set of problems that make it a higher risk than general populations.

Stick with topical applications (like rubbing the oil on your feet) if you feel like oils are an essential part of your CF therapy.