Disability and working part-time

semnle34

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is on disability either SSI or SSDI and is working part-time. Can you explain the process to me? I am confused and calling SSA made me even more confused. I really want to work part time but I am afraid they will take away my benefits from me or decide to re-open my case. I am doing better now than how I was at the time I went on disability but as you all know that can change quickly. I just got admitted this past week for another exacerbation. I appreciate any information or knowledge that is thrown my way. Thanks in advance.

KK

kenna2

I was working part time with disability, but can't any longer.I think it also depends on what state you're in too. In Ohio, you are allowed to make up to a certain amount each month (it's been a couple of years so I'm not sure the exact amount.) Anything over that amount goes against you and you essentially get a strike and it's recorded. If you make more than allowed in certain amount of time, they will reopen your case. I believe you get like 3 strikes. There is a state program though, that will allow you to work as much as you can and still receive disability. I believe the state will help you find a job and I'm not 100% sure on the rest of the details of how the it works. Everything varies per state so it might help if you put where your located.

Allisa35

I have worked part-time a few times while on disability. It is rather confusing. To my understanding, it is a federal program so it shouldn't matter what state you live in. There is a threshold amount you can't go over. I believe for 2019 that amount is $880. If you go over that amount, then it is considered a trial work month. You can have up to 9 trial work months (this is the part where it kind of get tricky). If you go that route, you can actually earn any amount. After your trial work period, you have 36 months during which you can work and still receive benefits for any month your earnings aren’t “substantial. I'll include a link to their website so you can read it. For me, I just tried to find work that kept me under the $880 amount so nothing ever was considered a trial work month. I was also afraid of my case being evaluated, but that never happened. When I initially applied for disability, I was actually working part-time at that time (approx. 10 hours a week). I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more. Here is the link to their brochure. https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10095.pdf

bagged2drag

I had worked part time on disability for a couple years (back in the early 2000s). You are strictly limited to how much you can make per month working, or you lose eligibility for that month. I had some months that I went over some, and didn't keep good records, so I had to pay back everything I got from SS years later. If you do it, make sure you watch your earnings and keep good records. I was pretty young and didn't. I ended up having to pay back 28k. If you work part time, please be sure to keep on top of your earnings. IMO, unless you are able to go back full time, I think working part time is almost a waste (assuming the rules are the same or similar). At the time, the cap was somewhere between $700 and $800 per month gross.