Disclosing CF to an employer, anyone know?

baco623

I will be graduating college in May (FINALLY) and I am starting the process of working on my resume and cover letters to start applying for a part time job. I am looking for any work I can get but I am wondering if during the interview process if I have to disclose that I have CF and have had a transplant to my employer. I really don't want to tell them because all though they legally can't discriminate against me because of my disability they can certainly say no and give me other reasons why I didn't get the job. What have other people done in the past about work? Has anyone ever been discriminated against because of their CF? I would love to hear other peoples experiences. Thanks so much!!

R

RytheStunner

You do not have to disclose it and it is illegal for them to ask.

W

welshwitch

I agree. Better to establish rapport for a few months/years, and then, once they love you, let them know if necessary. Otherwise, what's the point?

Jennyvb17

I'm in human resources and have cf. don't tell them in the interview. I would actually wait until hospitalization before saying anything

Simba15

I lost my job as retaliation for having cf. you do nit gave to tell them now or ever. My advise - don't do it!!! When you go in the hospital you may have to apply for FMLA. On the form it asks for a diagnosis. I found out too late you don't gave to put a diagnosis. You can put symptoms such as "difficulty breathing" or decreased lung function". I would not tell anyone at work either. Companies are not what they used to be. All they care about us money. Your time out equals money. I have a new job and gave not told anyone.

kmhbeauty

Don't disclose in the interview. I said one that I have to have surgeries every year and a half (polyps) and I didn't get hired. I thought I was going to for sure have the job but they don't have to give you a reason why you didn't get the job.

kmhbeauty

I lost my job as retaliation for having cf. you do nit gave to tell them now or ever. My advise - don't do it!!! When you go in the hospital you may have to apply for FMLA. On the form it asks for a diagnosis. I found out too late you don't gave to put a diagnosis. You can put symptoms such as "difficulty breathing" or decreased lung function". I would not tell anyone at work either. Companies are not what they used to be. All they care about us money. Your time out equals money. I have a new job and gave not told anyone.
This is true companies are not what they use to be. There is no longer looking at employees as assets. They see us as replaceable because of the economy. There is so many people looking for jobs that companies just don't care about their employees. I experienced this with my current job where they tried to push me out the door for no valid reason. Their reason that I just wasn't as good as a server in fine dining then the other employees. I didn't have finesse when I put the glass down on the table. Instead of offering extended training for me they decided to cut me down to one day and the worst shift. I went to Human Resources and they suggested to transfer me to the bar to be a cocktail server. I still can not believe how they treated me. The only reason I got somewhere was by saying I have CF and giving me the early morning shifts (worst shift) was effecting my disease. So now I am working in the bar. I am in school full time so looking for a new job isn't a option right now. Its a horrible feeling though to work hard for a company and them just to see you as replaceable.

Craige Leeder

As everybody has said, there is no need to disclose this during the interview.

My typical course of action has been to tell them following the signing of the employment contract. It's naive to pretend our illness' don't affect our employers (regardless of whether we're legally protected in such), so I make an effort to tell them at the earliest time possible. Just be sure to communicate that you're telling them despite not being obligated to, because you believe it's better for everybody. Also mention that the reason you did not tell them during the interview process was to protect yourself from discrimination.

That's my take on the subject anyway. I never understood those that don't tell their employer at all. Eventually it's going to come up, and I'd rather be honest with my employer than hide behind legally assured anonymity of your health. This is your life. This is you. If your employer is willing to discriminate against you for a genetic disease, then maybe it's time to find a new employer

The other half of this is that it's up to YOU to prove that you're an asset, and not just there to collect a pay cheque. If you're only doing the bare minimum to get by, you're going to be disposable regardless of any external factors.

rubyroselee

I would not disclose in an interview. In fact, I wouldn't even really disclose it unless it was interfering with work. If you need days off for appointments, just take a planned day off. If something comes up emergent and/or if you end up hospitalized for something, you could disclose it then. But for me, I usually wait until I have a really good relationship with my boss and I've proven to be a good worker, then I find the right time to talk about it. Good luck!

lilmac1177

wow! i must be in the minority here LOL ... with each job i've had (only four in 16 years), i've always been up front w/ my employers about having CF and have (apparently) been lucky they've not once discriminated or retaliated because of it!

azdesertrat

I never told any employer unless it was absolutely necessary.
In fact, the only employer that I cam right out & told was the last in my career.
Of course, I could never have passed the required physical if I had admitted I had CF.
Fortunately, the last employer I worked for thought the world of me & it was never a problem.
Even when my health started going downhill nothing was ever made of my illness. My truck stayed parked until I was able to come back to work.
CF won in the end though. I became diabetic post-transplant & was forced out.
No, don't tell any employer unless you are forced to.
If you do decide to tell an employer, like welshwitch said, wait until they love you so much they wouldn't make an excuse to fire you.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I have been employee and employer in my 63 years. I was diagnosed with CF at age 52. Prior to that I was diagnosed with several Idiopathic conditions ranging from IBS, GERD and GI whatever to idiopathic ENT disorders and perennial bouts of pneumonia. As an employee it never occured to me that I should include IBS on my resumé. Considering the fact that neither CF nor peoples' understanding is clear cut, I feel caution is the best tack. Unless you are looking for employment that accommodates special circumstances don"t represent yourself as less than equal and able as the best you are likely competing with. At some point CF is going to inform your employer that your body needs periodic and occasionally unexpected attention.

The twenty plus years I was an employer, for some reason the greatest people came to work for and with me. I learned quickly that all types of issues affect employee performance. Major events can turn a person's life on end like a marriage, new baby, divorce or death in the family. This is life and a divorce is not time out on a court date. A marriage may take a year of difficulty leading to a spouse filing divorce papers. A bitter or complicated divorce can eat up a total of years in lost productivity. In my business model, brilliant and talented people were priceless assets that had to continuously adapt to evolving technologies.

It isn't easy to be nurturing and supportive when for the umpteenth time your software engineer misses a deadline because of his elderly parent's needs. It took a year out of four for his parents to transition from lining at home into assisted living. My point is no one person can be 100%, one hundred percent of the time. Even model employees that go years without a sniffle are subject to the capricious nature of being human. Almost without exception when an employee recovered from some personal or family distraction they made up for time lost.

Once you are employed and determine how everybody meshes you can re evaluate what and when to share. Normally I feel it is best to keep employers informed. I am also very trusting so be aware.

Knock off Them Negative Waves,
LL

Daverog75

If you have had transplant there is no need to tell them because you don't have the daily cough. With my last job I informed them after they hired just because I know that after awhile of people hearing the chronic cough that doesn't go away people were going to start asking questions. It turned out to be the best place that I ever worked everybody there was aware of my condition and all my coworkers treating me with respect I never had a problem with anyone the entire time i worked there.

Dave

CrisDopher

Marci, you're not alone. I've always been up front with my employers and have rarely felt that my CF was the cause of not getting the job again (I'm a freelancer). Some of my jobs are long-term, recurring gigs and my employers have definitely felt the impact of my CF, but I think because I was open and honest up front about it - and don't use it as an excuse for anything and ALWAYS do my share of the work - that I've had more support than anything.

I also agree with a lot of what Craige wrote.

Now, to be fair, I have had some producers not come back to me after our one show together. Was it my CF? Possibly. Or it could be that we just didn't click. I can usually tell that the relationship isn't gelling well on a personal or professional level (I didn't deliver the product they quite wanted) and that they'd find someone else next time. That's business.

We should also talk about disclosure concerning employers who will be paying for healthcare (i.e. long-term employment) and those who aren't (typically short-term or crap minimum wage jobs). I have healthcare through other means, so don't depend on my employers for it. If I did, it's quite possible I wouldn't be working for certain ones of them. HOWEVER - I did work for a time as a full-time salaried employee of NYU, running three theatres, and they knew about my CF well before the interview. In fact, had invited me to interview for the job because they'd seen my on-the-job performance DESPITE my CF and were impressed. That kind of thing is what really gets you a job and what ensures you keep it. Craige is 100% right: If you aren't out there every day working the hardest to distinguish yourself as the most valuable employee they've got, then you're not doing your job! At my two main employers (clients), there are salaried employees w/ health benefits and all. I see some of them doing the minimum really. They're not failing at the job, just not really shining. I also happen to know that this has attracted the owners' attention. Come the next difficult economic crunch, when staff has to get cut and freelancers more relied on, it isn't hard to guess who's going to be let go.

robert321

Unfortunately right now there is far more applicants than jobs and a lot of potential employers are more looking for reasons to not hire you than reasons why they should. Build a relationship with the company and show what you're worth before telling them anything. If it comes down to it, you have a much better shot at demonstrating that you were dismissed because of cf rather than not hired because of it. That's a calculating approach but don't assume that you're dealing with people that will play by the rules

Beccamom

And the benefit of being dismissed, rather than fired, would be what?
The benefit would be unemployment checks. Also if you are fired for wrong reasons, then the benefit would be a lawsuit.

I have struggled with since I was just diagnosed a year. I have not told my boss. I have a new boss who has only known me the last year my health was struggling. In my job the large unbrella company requires each section to rate its employees as needs improvement, valued contributer or top talent. Raises are based on these rankings. The boss must rank a specific percent of the employees in our sections case 3 needs improvement and only 3 can get top talent. The 3 that get needs improvement are then on a written action plan for a year with a plan to improve. My boss explained at staff meeting that no one needed improvement so she was picking the lowest 3 in productivity. We turn in productivity weekly numbers, so no guessing game. I have to claim to take a lunch break sometimes I don't take because bathroom breaks are not part of the productive time. Due to CF I can't smell up a families toilet in their home I am working in, so I drive longer distances to find public bathrooms so I am less offensive. If I told her I had CF I think she would use it as an excuse to give me needs improvement. All employees quit in the needs improvement year.

Taylersmom

I will be graduating college in May (FINALLY) and I am starting the process of working on my resume and cover letters to start applying for a part time job. I am looking for any work I can get but I am wondering if during the interview process if I have to disclose that I have CF and have had a transplant to my employer. I really don't want to tell them because all though they legally can't discriminate against me because of my disability they can certainly say no and give me other reasons why I didn't get the job. What have other people done in the past about work? Has anyone ever been discriminated against because of their CF? I would love to hear other peoples experiences. Thanks so much!!

Here is what I know... I am in California... DO NOT DISCLOSE! What you want to do and I know from experience, is once you have worked at any location, for over 6 mnths to a year, look into the companies HHR for specific time, but you want to apply for FMLA, thrgh your employer. Do this in writing, via email (so you have time date stamp). Here si the Federal website for more information. http://www.dol.gov/compliance/laws/comp-fmla.htm

You will need to do this first, before you disclose any information. Only to protect yourself. Once you are on FMLA (which can be on a continuance basis, rolling 12 months) they cannot fire you!

My son has CF, he 15... I was missing alot of qork because of DR, sick, ect and I was never even offered this by my employer. But a friend of mine told me about it and Now I have been on it for over a year, I can take as many days off or hours as needed. and they cannot fire me for it!
Hope this helps!

Remember, you have to protect you!
CF Mom