disease as an excuse

anonymous

i havent been goin to skool a lot lately i miss a lot because i wake up sick feelin nauseous from my feedings or i just dont feel up in da mood to go because i dont like when ppl see me cough a lot in class n its hard to hold it down so when i know ima have a hard time at skool i just dont go so i wont bother by having to call my mom later to pick me up or to get embarressed by my class or w/e. im just not so comftorable ne more in skool as i used to be because my CF has been in a way gettin worse. well today around 3:30am im not sure but it was around that time...i woke up not being able to breathe n i went to get a glass of water i drank it n den my mom asked me what was wrong n i told her that i was having a hard time breathing n that i felt like throwing up all of a sudden,den i ran to da bathroom n threw up all of my feeds. she did therapy after a while..we stayed up for a while also..she wanted to take me to da hosptial because i was short of breathe but i didnt want to. so i fell asleep all over again. at 7:20 my friend came over as usual to go to skool together. n today she came in my room n was like erica wake up n so i did n she was like u int goin to skool n i told her that no n then she was just tellin me how i was gonna fail not b able to gradute with them. n i told her that i know i already failed she told me that i was sad. n i just went a long wither by saying ahum. n den she just said "erica u use ur disease as an excuse all the time" n that pissed me off because she doesnt really know what i go through so she shouldnt have said that. she wasnt thurr wit me at 3:30am i told her that i was throwing up at 3:30am n she told me that i shouldve just stayed up to go to skool when skool starts at 7:20?? no i dun think so. so then o0 hey she here i gtg bye

kybert

ignore what she said. if you dont feel up to going to school then you dont have to. i had problems waking up for school when i was a teenager and i found that when i was forced to go on time, i would end up falling asleep in class. my brain was so fogged up nothing could sink in. so i ended up failing anyway. are you able to get home schooled? or perhaps you go to school when you can and have a tutor at other times. onwe of my teachers suggested a tutor for me but i didnt want to do what, typical teenager lol. but i really wished i took his advice and got a tutor. i also know what you mean about the coughing thing. i use to hold my cough in all the time. and then all of i sudden my lungs would spasm and id let this HUGE cough out and everyone would stare at me. one guy use to imitate me coughing, that was really tough for me.

anonymous

yea that has happened to me before a guy imitating my cough but not just my cough he would also imitate my clearing up the throat thing but i dunO..i hate when ppl think that im using my disease as an excuse cuz im not it just happens to b that way n i cant do n e thing about it for it not to be the problem or whatever u wanna call it

kybert

if those people who think its an excuse, refuse to understand after having a little chat to them, then they arent worth being around.

AbsintheSorrow

I've been stared at before, and imitated before, and usually I just stare back. And if it gets too obvious and too rude, I open my mouth and tell them off. Haha.

anonymous

how long have you been friends with this person. I can tell you from experience she sounds like a waste of time. unless she is really good friend and will understand after talking to her, i would stop being friends with her. i stuck with the same so called friends all through high school no matter how they treated me and all i have to say is i should have dumped them a long time before. all they did was cause me grief. they never understood. even after a 2 week hospital stay they wondered where i was when i returned to school. i jsut let it out. and told them just how serious cf was and they jsut looked at me like i went physco, hello they made me go nuts if anything. i was to afraid of being alone through high school i stuck with the worst ones, and i still wond up alone after school and on weekends, we only lived a few blocks away and during the summer they never called or would return my calls. but as soon as school started they were my friends again, they used me because they thought i could get them into the "cool" parties and whatnot because i was liked by everyone (just didn't hang out with just any certain ones except them). So if i were you I would have a sit down with this friend. Go on the internet make her read stuff. Make her come on here and read what we are saying (unless of course that would make her made to read this). But really get on the net print out stuff or read together and let her see what cf is really about. Just because we may look healthy doesn't mean jack. Even get your mom or dad to help explain cf to her. Just because some people can go on 3 hours of sleep doesn't mean you can. and i bet if it was her throwing up at 3 am she wouldn't have gone to school either. it seems the ones to use sickness as an excuse are the ones who don't ahve cf and jsut get colds. have you ever noticed how someone without cf complains non stop about allergies or a cold. its so aggravating. Also if you want a great place to vent visit CF 2 Chat on msn, or a fast way to get there is to google Cystic Fibrosis 2 Chat, it comes up on the first of the page, or it did last time i checked. Bur you really need to sit your friend down and make them realize that your not using cf as an excuse it really is hard and exghasting. I know your pain. I did the same as you, wake up in the middle of the night coughing or throwing up and can't get to school the next day. I think some people get jealous because we can miss school more than they can, they don;t get sick as much so they just go on to school and they see us getting sick so much its like they don't understand that we really are sick and not just making it up. Anyway I hope she understand better and never says that again. AB

AbsintheSorrow

Okay first, you need to try and seriously explain CF to this girl. And if she still doesn't understand... in so many words, tell her to screw off.

anonymous

yea i was thinking about bringing her her to read some stuff but she doesnt like to read so i dunO if she'll even try to read this stuff. she understands some of it not all. she is a good friend i think,we have been friends for more than 6yrs. we been friends ever since we were mad young but not until later we became close shes my best friend i dunO why she siad that really i think it just came out i explained to her what happened that day when she came over n she said that i should go to da hospital n i told her that not right now n she just said that she was worried when i was like that i told her its ok. but i didnt bring up da thing she said should i bring it up? or should i let it pass until she repeats it or whatever.i dunO well see. thanks for all da advices.

anonymous

Hello, I totally feel with the first post. People who don't have the disease can never know the pain no matter what you explain to them. Going to class is a challenge by itself for us. Personally, I can never bear this situation. Holding up your cough is terrible because when you cough after that it sounds worse. The problem with all this is it never ends. Our whole attention is distracted from the lesson as we keep thinking about the next cough, so you keep wishing or waiting for the bell ring ( Saved by the bell perhaps)! This is a nightmare. Rami 21w/CF

anonymous

After a while, you'll feel more comfortable when you cough in public. And when you feel lousey, stay home, it's totally ok. I tell every one about my CF when it comes up. Most people are glad to know what's up. I always have a water bottle in class, and if my cough gets bad I slip out and to the bathroom. I let all my professors know right from the start. Since it sounds like you're in high school, tell your teachers what the deal is and that you may need to slip out to cough so that you don't get embarassed and the other students aren't disturbed. My school got really strick about hall passes my senior year, so I spoke to the principals to let them know that from time to time I would need to be in the hall or bathroom and that I wouldn't always be able to have a pass. They were ok with it. People are usually very accomodating if you approach them and just say "I need this..."Debbie23 w/ CF

AbsintheSorrow

She's right. Make sure your teachers and professors know ahead of time, and you're usually good to go. People are most often very accommodating, as long as you let them in as to why you need this and that.

buffikins23

I know how all of you feel. I get sick of people saying,"that's a nasty cough you got there" and "when did you get that cold". I think one solution to prevent us from getting embarrassed and people misunderstanding our absences is awareness. We have to learn to cough and cough loudly and proudly and explain it's something we have to do, and its good because it keeps the junk out of our lungs. I correct people all the time who mistakingly believe that because I cough there is something wrong, I explain that for me it is totally right. I know how you feel because I was tutored on and off all the way through school, but everyone knew and accepted the fact that I could not be in school and was not "normal", then again no body is "normal". Buffy23/f/cf/cfrd

anonymous

well in my skool nobody really knows i have CF just my close friends n da teachers n da nurse thats it i dont like to share it with n e bosy i keep it on da DL. some teachers dont really understand that i have n its hard to explain it 2 them. when i need extra work sometimes its hard to get it because they tell "come to class n maybe ull b gettin it" n when i go i try to explain but i just cant thurr is no private time/alone time 2 really explain it. n about my friend well im just gonna let it go for now but i also have another problem with her....im not sure if it is a problem really, well she always wants me to go places wit her n most of the time i do because she begs n i feel bad n stuff but i make myself go even if i dun want to n its not even that i dont want to i cant because my breathing when i walk is harder everytime but i never know how to say no to her i hate always saying o0 i cant cuz im sick. n she likes to far places so0o..well i duno i have to go but if n e one can hwlp me again..o0o yea n i am a teenager im just 17