do i need to switch jobs?

Everytime I get sick, i get closer to being considered to be put on the transplant list. every time i get sick i miss alot of days of work. i am a teacher so i know that there are plenty of subs to take my place. I am concern that when i get sicker, i can't work as much and therefore not be able to pay for things. I have a college degree in education and been teaching for the last 10 years. i just don't know if it is wise to do something else for work and be able to do some work while i am sick or while i am dealing with a future transplant.
right now, i am frustarted because the school i teach at is a mother day program and depends on enrollment. so some things have happened to where i had to combine classes. there really wasn't a place for me to teach and got stuck on the sub list. i don't get called as much and i have been getting sick. As i get sicker, i will miss more work and if i work as a secertary or even as a cashier, i fear i may be fired because i miss so much work. there could be no one to fill my spot. and i know i can get sick from kids because they pass on germs but i can get sick from other people becuase they have sick kids or don't know how to stay home because they are sick. and i can get sick from touching public things like doors, carts etc. so i figure i might as well teach. besides they have a list of subs to take over.
right now i just don't know if it is better to do teaching which i love and got an education for or start thinking about a different job. i have looked at other jobs and i have been noticing that people want to hire people with exeperience or have an education for that job.
i guess what i am asking is what job works best for people who are constantly sick like CFers and what you do for extra cash.

jchelle

I am in the same situation, I am a plumber and currently not working, but im not too sure what to do either. i was offered a lighter job where i wouldnt have to do much but there is so much dust and stuff all around, im not too sure if its better to stay a plumber or to be around so much dust all the time.

jchelle

its a hard decision to make for us CFers... our lives are a bit complicated by this condition, so we are a bit more limited on our options, i know for me i just do what i like to do and even though my wife does not always agree on my work choice, she stands behind me no matter what. I think that you should make the decision that you feel is best for you.

Thanks for the encouragement. I know no matter what I do God will take care of me. Think a part of me is fearful of the unknown and how to make the best if things.

azdesertrat

I never quit!
As I went downhill, my truck sat parked for longer & longer durations. I'm one of the lucky few whose employer thought the world of them, & could afford to let my truck sit until I was able to come back. Eventually, the lentghs of time between sicknesses was so short that I was finally forced out when I was on the trans list. My Wife understood I would be unable to return to work & filed for disability while I was in an induced coma after my left lung blew a huge hole in itself.
Then, worse yet, I was forced to quit work for good post-trans because of complications.
I don't know what to tell you. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.