Do you have to blow your nose often?

nocode

Hi,
I have to blow my nose constantly, even when I don't have a cold. It's worse when I have a coughing fit (several times a day).

It has also gotten worse since I started using oxygen at night 5 months ago. My nose is constantly dry and pretty congested.

My doctor tells me there's nothing I can do about it after than a spray that I already use.

Do you experience this, what are the causes (I guess it always comes down to excess mucus) and is there anything that makes you feel better?
I don't have polyps but I probably have some sinus problems in the mix.

Thanks!

G

Gorf

I use SaltWater Nasel washes day and night, do them at least an hour before you lay down, does make your nose run right after, but I feel I can breath much better through nose after.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Because ds couldn't breathe thru his left nostril at all, was always blowing his nose, snoring...We took hin to an ENT who specializes in cf care. They ran a camera up his nose. No polyps but lots of inflammation. He was prescribed a nasal steroid, which did the trick. Also because his nasal mucus is so thick and his nose doesn't run, we have him do nasal rinses, too

bigstar

Story of my life. Seriously. Even when i dont have a cold i need to blow my nose several times a day. When i cough i feel congested the next moment! Every single time. And at nights i keep rolling on the bed. I turn right, my right nostrils gets congested. I turn left, my felt nostril gets congested! Oh god. I try to remember to use a spray and blow it just before i get to bed. If its any consolation this whole thing gets better at summer (after it turns worse in spring with allergies and stuff)
because i swim almost everyday. Sea water helps me clean up a lot. I feel it literally keeps me alive!

MichaelL

My sinuses definitely get congested - particularly when I'm doing my lung clearance and when I go out in the cold. I use a salt water rinse using an ear syringe every morning, which really helps clear things out. I also use a nasal spray at bedtime. I still have congestion but try to blow my nose throughout the day.

Twistofchaos

When active and warmed up with the blood flowing I too get a running nose. Not sure why but would suspect it's the bodies reaction to keeping everything lubricated up there with the increased respiratory rate. So that's a good thing..sort of.
When we get a coughing fit we warm up and get the blood flowing too..

Without an oxygen nasal cannula stuff just runs to the front of our nose and kinda stays there (even when we pluck our nosehairs) without noticing but those things make you notice it.. (BLOW)

Simba15

Hi,
I have to blow my nose constantly, even when I don't have a cold. It's worse when I have a coughing fit (several times a day).

It has also gotten worse since I started using oxygen at night 5 months ago. My nose is constantly dry and pretty congested.

My doctor tells me there's nothing I can do about it after than a spray that I already use.

Do you experience this, what are the causes (I guess it always comes down to excess mucus) and is there anything that makes you feel better?
I don't have polyps but I probably have some sinus problems in the mix.

Thanks!
the only thing that has worked for me is taking one 500 mg biaxin in a day. It has an anti inflammatory property and helps my sinuses not have so much white frothy stuff coming out. I also has sinus surgery which helps things drain

I never had a problem with having to blow my nose until I had sinus surgery in April of 2012. Now I have to blow my nose a lot of the time. I find that if I do my breathing treatments in the morning, followed by my sinus rinse, I feel much "cleaner" throughout the day and it's not quite so bad. When pollen count is higher, I do sinus rinses more than once a day. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has this problem!