Doctor with CF passed away; inspirational story

markinohio

<DIV class=ObitTextPhoto><A id=ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ContentPlaceHolder1_ObituaryTile_ObitCameraIconPhotoGalleryLink target=_blank></A></DIV>(News Article) Dr. John Thomas Schaeufele, 57, president and chief executive of Mercy Children's Hospital, whose own childhood illness spurred him to become a pediatrician, died Wednesday in his Old West End home.He had cystic fibrosis, a degenerative lung condition diagnosed in his late teens, although he'd been sickly for years before. His condition worsened in the early 2000s, and in 2004, he had a double lung transplant."It was phenomenal. He did things he'd never done before, like walk without having to gasp for air," his wife, Mary, said.An illness in February triggered chronic rejection of his new lungs. He was told his kidney function would not survive another transplant.(-His complete story is in the Toledo Blade. Oct. 21, 2011. I was not familiar with this doctor, but am sad to see that he passed away.)

markinohio

<DIV class=ObitTextPhoto><A id=ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ContentPlaceHolder1_ObituaryTile_ObitCameraIconPhotoGalleryLink target=_blank></A></DIV>(News Article) Dr. John Thomas Schaeufele, 57, president and chief executive of Mercy Children's Hospital, whose own childhood illness spurred him to become a pediatrician, died Wednesday in his Old West End home.He had cystic fibrosis, a degenerative lung condition diagnosed in his late teens, although he'd been sickly for years before. His condition worsened in the early 2000s, and in 2004, he had a double lung transplant."It was phenomenal. He did things he'd never done before, like walk without having to gasp for air," his wife, Mary, said.An illness in February triggered chronic rejection of his new lungs. He was told his kidney function would not survive another transplant.(-His complete story is in the Toledo Blade. Oct. 21, 2011. I was not familiar with this doctor, but am sad to see that he passed away.)

markinohio

<DIV class=ObitTextPhoto><BR><A id=ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ContentPlaceHolder1_ObituaryTile_ObitCameraIconPhotoGalleryLink target=_blank></A></DIV>(News Article) Dr. John Thomas Schaeufele, 57, president and chief executive of Mercy Children's Hospital, whose own childhood illness spurred him to become a pediatrician, died Wednesday in his Old West End home.<BR><BR>He had cystic fibrosis, a degenerative lung condition diagnosed in his late teens, although he'd been sickly for years before. His condition worsened in the early 2000s, and in 2004, he had a double lung transplant.<BR><BR>"It was phenomenal. He did things he'd never done before, like walk without having to gasp for air," his wife, Mary, said.<BR><BR>An illness in February triggered chronic rejection of his new lungs. He was told his kidney function would not survive another transplant.<BR><BR>(-His complete story is in the Toledo Blade. Oct. 21, 2011. I was not familiar with this doctor, but am sad to see that he passed away.) <BR>

azdesertrat

Good to see this man took his time on Earth & did some good with it.
He obviously wasn't the 'poor me' type.
May he Rest in Peace.

azdesertrat

He obviously wasn't the 'poor me' type.
May he Rest in Peace.

azdesertrat

<br />He obviously wasn't the 'poor me' type.
<br />May he Rest in Peace.