Does your acapella ever give you trouble?

amber682

My DS uses the acapella choice, I think. The dark green one that can be taken apart. Sometimes the piece inside won't flutter, the air just blows right through. There are no broken pieces, and I washed it, soaked it in vinegar, and then boiled it in case it was the chalky residue from boiling that caused it. I keep opening it and fiddling with the flutter part but it's just not wokring this time. This happens to us a lot but I can't get it right this time.

M

momofmia

Holy crap i didn't know it could be taken apart and cleaned. You could have saved my daughters lungs by posting this question. I'm a sterilize everything freak, her nebs are spotless. What was i thinking???? Thank you sooooo much.

amber682

I think there are a few different kinds. Ours is dark green, the mouth piece comes off, then the top and bottom come apart, and the flutter device inside can be removed

nmw0615

I've had this happen a couple times. I can't for the life of me remember why, but after so long, they just stop working well. Getting a new one is really the best fix.

4hats

You have to make sure the magnetic pieces are kept clean. Dry them immediately with a clean napkin gently. Also, you have to make sure you blow with the right air pressure. If you blow to hard you get the effect you mention that it doesn't flutter. Takes a little getting used to.

MichaelL

I tried the acapella choice last year because it was recommended by one of the clinic staff. I found that as I used it, it would build up saliva inside the device and then it would no longer vibrate. I gave up and switched back to my flutter that I had been using for 10 years.

The flutter is a little trickier to learn proper technique and must be held at a particular angle while using. However, I found it a better option for me.