Dog - Yes or No? Please advise

nocode

Hi there,

My lung function has been in the low 30s for a few years and everything is getting harder and harder as far as my energy goes. Thankfully I am not working and I almost never have hospitalizations (I've had 2 my whole life), but every sort of physical exercise/activity requires some effort (I get short of breath easily, etc).

I don't have any pets at the moment but I really want to get a dog. I'm a dog person and I feel both my partner and I would be happier with a dog in the house. My partner works a LOT though so it would be mostly up to me to take care of the dog, take it for walks, clean it etc... Right now, I'm just not sure if the pros outweigh the cons.
Also, we are going to move soon to a place with a back yard.

So I'm just asking for advice, as I know most of you probably have dogs.. :)

Thanks for any input.

Vera, 29

AmalynRose

Animals can be very therapeutic. They help lower blood pressure and help people relax. If you do decide to get a dog, I would go with a small breed that doesn't shed (so you aren't breathing dog hair all the time) and can be taken to a groomers once every 1-2 months so you don't have to bathe it yourself. This will keep the dog cleaner around the house, since it's anal glands will be getting expressed when it goes to be groomed (wait to have them do this until it is used to going to the groomers so it doesn't get traumatized) and it will cut down on the dog dragging it's butt on the carpet. I would also suggest having a talk with your partner about what would happen with the dog if you get sick and are stuck on the couch, bed, or hospital. Is your partner willing to take care of it during those times or is there someone you can call to help? The back yard will be essential for you since going for long walks may be out of the question. Best of luck with your search!

markinohio

I have had several dogs throughout my life. I don't know if having a dog has made me sicker or not. The last two dogs we got from the Humane Society and the dogs were over a year old. The dogs were past the potty training and knew some commands. Depending how active you are, it may make sense to get a dog that is not a puppy because puppies require more work. If you adopt a dog and are unable to care for it, you can always return it. Good luck.

wskirchner

I understand your concern and had these concerns for myself when my husband and I got our dog Bella. We were close to being listed for transplant, pfts were horrible and I was going into the hospital every 2 months. The times in between I was working full time, constantly tired and trying to keep up with it all. I said after we had her for a year that given the situation to redo, I would do the following: First of all, I would NOT get a puppy or even a young dog. Older dogs are housebroken, calmer and less overall 'work'. Second of all, starting with breed standards, I would get one who was generally a calmer, hanging out in my lap, type of dog. I wanted a short haired dog for the concerns mentioned above and a nondrooling dog for the ickiness and germ factor that presented as well. Once you have chosen a dog- your local dog park is your friend!!! I made trips clear across the city- half hour each way- to make sure she got plenty of exercise so when mama was ready to go to sleep then she was ready to go to sleep. PLUS if you do have to rehome her for a moment (transplant, hospitalization, etc) its no nearly as traumatic because they are already well adjusted and socialized. Just a few things I learned when I was pretty much in your same boat. We work hard enough, no need to add to it with a puppy or high energy pooch. I wouldn't give up my girl for the world now though :)

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I think it's settled, nobody is really objecting to a pet dog. Take your time selecting a dog. It is possible to find the perfect pet on the first try. Great potential pets are common so don't worry the perfect dog just got adopted from under your nose. There will be another soon. As big hearted as getting an abused or disabled dog is, it comes with too high of a risk for CFers. A friend was recently told his dog needed $3K of dental work. He retorted that he too needed about $3K of dental work and his mouth was a priority over the dog. CFers are often on fixed income and a healthy pet is cheap to keep.

LL

MMBinNC

I love my dog, and honestly I think she has had a positive impact on my life. I definitely exercise more because of her, and the unconditional love isn't bad either. That said, if I was sicker I imagine it could be hard for me to care for her very well. But if you live with someone, I don't think it should be a problem due to the hair. My dog is a Flat-Coated Retriever...and she sheds like no other dog I have ever seen.

running4life

I highly suggest a dog. I just moved from a place without a fenced in yard to a place WITH a fenced in yard, and it's been a huge help in the event I don't feel like walking him. I take him on 1-2 short walks a day and he always gets me out even if its just for a few minutes. I also struggle with depression and anxiety and he literally gets me out of bed a lot of days when my depression is very bad. He's always home waiting for me and excited to see me. He's such a sweet boy and makes me super happy all the time. My dog is a 90 pound golden lab and pure loyalty and love.

I will say that last year when I was hospitalized for several days and then sent home on 2-3 weeks worth of IV antibiotics, my mom had to take him a few times to her house because I was too tired to walk him, but I won't have that problem anymore with the fenced in yard.

Just be sure that once you commit to an animal, you keep him. Dogs aren't meant to be returned.

Tisha

I've had a dog since I was 11 years of age. My lung capacity in the meantime has peaked to 80% FEV1 three times, and been as low as 36% a couple times. So having a dog did not influence me, I'm pretty sure about that.
I really love dogs and if you do too, I think it can be indeed of a therapeutic value to you! They force you to smile, and they also force you to exercise going on walks!

Simba15

Yes!

I have a dog. They can be true lifesavers. Get one that is low allergen, intellident, and likes to cuddle. They are awesome friends but can also alert you to your sickness before you know about it. You might qualify for a service dog.
Hi there,

My lung function has been in the low 30s for a few years and everything is getting harder and harder as far as my energy goes. Thankfully I am not working and I almost never have hospitalizations (I've had 2 my whole life), but every sort of physical exercise/activity requires some effort (I get short of breath easily, etc).

I don't have any pets at the moment but I really want to get a dog. I'm a dog person and I feel both my partner and I would be happier with a dog in the house. My partner works a LOT though so it would be mostly up to me to take care of the dog, take it for walks, clean it etc... Right now, I'm just not sure if the pros outweigh the cons.

Thanks for any input.

Vera, 29

M

monds1234

well its different from person to person i guess cf or not. but i have pft of 30% and i have four cats(yes i know lol) and go see my parent very often with two dogs and two cats i even take care of them for a week sometimes and it hasnt bothered me yet.i will never get rid of my animals tho they are what keeps me sane when i spend all day sleeping and being sick alone at home haha. i have had my cats for five years now. just dont let your house get overly dirty to the point there is hair flying everywhere. and i also do not work anymore due to my cf so im home alot

C

Cutecurlz

First off, PLEASE don't get a puppy/dog because you think it MIGHT make you happier!!! Get a puppy/dog because you want to make a difference in their life. They are a LOT of work, even dogs (get a dog under 20lbs and one that doesn't shed). I myself have a very mild cause of CF and CFRD and I have 3 small dogs. I have 1 Chihuahua, 1 Chihuahua x Bolognese and 1 Pug x Schnauzer and I am fine. My brother who had a double lung transplant 6 years ago has a Poodle x something and he is fine. So get a dog that is 20lbs and under and non-shedding if possible and you will be ok! Good Luck with your search for your new addition to your family.

Simba15

animal lover

Hi, I had a cat for 17 years. Now that she is gone, I do notice that there isn't as much fur and the air feels cleaner. However, having her did not make me sick and I loved her like she was my baby. I now have a short haired dog. The benefit with a dog is they can go places with you. :) The downside is, if you get sick- they can't tend to themselves like a cat can. You need to have a responsible person who could care for the dog if you get sick: walk it, feed it, play with it, pet it, etc. If you don't have that, I would get a cat instead. Although it is is not ideal,in an emergency, a cat can live by itself for a week (if it has food and water and someone coming in to pet it once in awhile).
Hi there,

Thanks for any input.

Vera, 29

Simba15

p.s. the pros of having a dog is more walking for you which is good for your lungs. the con is the care needed if you get sick.

S

sdeuber

find a rescue organization in your area and start doing foster care for them. Not commitment but lots of dog love and somewhat of a trial without committing to one (until THAT dog walks into your house that will fall in love with you and vice versa!).

azdesertrat

My dog is part of why I'm still alive. We got her as a pup when I started getting really sick. She has so much personality I kept telling myself "I can't die now, I gotta see how this pup turns out!' She has not disappointed. I've always had Australian Cattle Dogs. That is probably a bad idea. They are very rambunctious & require lots of exercise. Unfortunately, I'm no longer able to take her out & let her play nearly as much as I'd like. She is so loving & devoted though. There isn't a day that goes by when she doesn't make me laugh out loud. When we went to Tucson for my transplant, we were gone for about 3 months. We had family come take care of her twice a day. Becky was able to go home & stay with her for a week at a time towards the end of our stay in Tucson, so it all worked out OK. One thing I would be very concerned about is who will take care of your dog should you be hospitalized. That is one bog detail you must take into consideration. Sometimes they're a real pain in the butt; but 99% of the time, I get much more from my dog than I deserve. She is such a life saver. Dogs are a special gift to us from God.

Vampy

I have a mix between a weiner and a beagle. I nick named him fat boy. I love him very much, he keeps my depression down and comforts me when i'm sick. I am always in pain, like today my neck hurt so bad and be climbed up behind my neck and laid there. Hes great as a therapy dog. I have a son and hes six, I cant have anymore babies so he is my boo!