drug reaction

robert321

I've had cefataz probably a dozen times and never had any problem with it, but last night when they were giving me the first dose of it btw I was put in for a tuneup, I had an awful reaction to it.
They ran it pretty quick, over just 3 minutes, and right away I started to have a significant nonproductive cough. About a minute into the infusion the inside of my lips started to tingle a little and get a little numb, then after about another minute the bottom of my feet started to itch. The business part of my rear end itched and burned a little as well, but I wasn't about to mention it for fear they'd want to inspect. Just what I needed, embarrassment added to the miserable experience. About the time it was finished a rash was starting to come up on the back of my neck and my chest and my face was swelling. My whole body broke out in a rash and itched something fierce. Then my face swelled up and was bright red. I could barely see around my squinting and hearing was was all muddy.
My nurse was on the phone getting benadryl ordered and getting ahold of the oncall and the charge and a couple other nurses were gathering to help, even though it seemed they were just there for the show. I didn't disappoint.
After about 10 minutes I became nauseous and tossed everything in my stomach, then a little more until I was dry heaving.
About the time I felt like I couldn't feel any worse, my chest started tightening up. At the beginning of it they put a pulse oximeter on me to keep an eye on me but I hadn't been paying any attention to it. I looked over at it and I was sating 88 and had a heart rate of 170. They got a RT called, who got up there pdq and started me on albuterol. About then they finally got the benadryl to me and things started to settle down. The whole thing took about an hour or hour and a half before it had mostly subsided. Today I was absolutely whipped and slept most of the day. Typically I'm a night owl but I was asleep by 9. They switched me over to an iv cipro instead of the ceftaz. Apparently it was the most impressive drug reaction anyone had seen in a while because everyone that's come through my room today has asked about it. It was probably the most miserable and most exhausting experience I've ever had

robert321

I've had cefataz probably a dozen times and never had any problem with it, but last night when they were giving me the first dose of it btw I was put in for a tuneup, I had an awful reaction to it.
They ran it pretty quick, over just 3 minutes, and right away I started to have a significant nonproductive cough. About a minute into the infusion the inside of my lips started to tingle a little and get a little numb, then after about another minute the bottom of my feet started to itch. The business part of my rear end itched and burned a little as well, but I wasn't about to mention it for fear they'd want to inspect. Just what I needed, embarrassment added to the miserable experience. About the time it was finished a rash was starting to come up on the back of my neck and my chest and my face was swelling. My whole body broke out in a rash and itched something fierce. Then my face swelled up and was bright red. I could barely see around my squinting and hearing was was all muddy.
My nurse was on the phone getting benadryl ordered and getting ahold of the oncall and the charge and a couple other nurses were gathering to help, even though it seemed they were just there for the show. I didn't disappoint.
After about 10 minutes I became nauseous and tossed everything in my stomach, then a little more until I was dry heaving.
About the time I felt like I couldn't feel any worse, my chest started tightening up. At the beginning of it they put a pulse oximeter on me to keep an eye on me but I hadn't been paying any attention to it. I looked over at it and I was sating 88 and had a heart rate of 170. They got a RT called, who got up there pdq and started me on albuterol. About then they finally got the benadryl to me and things started to settle down. The whole thing took about an hour or hour and a half before it had mostly subsided. Today I was absolutely whipped and slept most of the day. Typically I'm a night owl but I was asleep by 9. They switched me over to an iv cipro instead of the ceftaz. Apparently it was the most impressive drug reaction anyone had seen in a while because everyone that's come through my room today has asked about it. It was probably the most miserable and most exhausting experience I've ever had

robert321

<br />They ran it pretty quick, over just 3 minutes, and right away I started to have a significant nonproductive cough. About a minute into the infusion the inside of my lips started to tingle a little and get a little numb, then after about another minute the bottom of my feet started to itch. The business part of my rear end itched and burned a little as well, but I wasn't about to mention it for fear they'd want to inspect. Just what I needed, embarrassment added to the miserable experience. About the time it was finished a rash was starting to come up on the back of my neck and my chest and my face was swelling. My whole body broke out in a rash and itched something fierce. Then my face swelled up and was bright red. I could barely see around my squinting and hearing was was all muddy.
<br />My nurse was on the phone getting benadryl ordered and getting ahold of the oncall and the charge and a couple other nurses were gathering to help, even though it seemed they were just there for the show. I didn't disappoint.
<br />After about 10 minutes I became nauseous and tossed everything in my stomach, then a little more until I was dry heaving.
<br />About the time I felt like I couldn't feel any worse, my chest started tightening up. At the beginning of it they put a pulse oximeter on me to keep an eye on me but I hadn't been paying any attention to it. I looked over at it and I was sating 88 and had a heart rate of 170. They got a RT called, who got up there pdq and started me on albuterol. About then they finally got the benadryl to me and things started to settle down. The whole thing took about an hour or hour and a half before it had mostly subsided. Today I was absolutely whipped and slept most of the day. Typically I'm a night owl but I was asleep by 9. They switched me over to an iv cipro instead of the ceftaz. Apparently it was the most impressive drug reaction anyone had seen in a while because everyone that's come through my room today has asked about it. It was probably the most miserable and most exhausting experience I've ever had

mag6125

Wow that is quite impressive, I'm glad to hear they finally got it under control! I've always thought it was weird how meds we've been on before with no problems can cause bad reactions like that. I've taken oral Bactrim as long as I can remember with no problem and one time they put me on the IV form and after about a week on it my entire face swelled up so bad I could barely see. Since then I've been on oral Bactrim a couple of times with no problem, very odd. Hopefully the Cipro does the job for you with no problems!

mag6125

Wow that is quite impressive, I'm glad to hear they finally got it under control! I've always thought it was weird how meds we've been on before with no problems can cause bad reactions like that. I've taken oral Bactrim as long as I can remember with no problem and one time they put me on the IV form and after about a week on it my entire face swelled up so bad I could barely see. Since then I've been on oral Bactrim a couple of times with no problem, very odd. Hopefully the Cipro does the job for you with no problems!

mag6125

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>mag6125</b></i>

Wow that is quite impressive, I'm glad to hear they finally got it under control! I've always thought it was weird how meds we've been on before with no problems can cause bad reactions like that. I've taken oral Bactrim as long as I can remember with no problem and one time they put me on the IV form and after about a week on it my entire face swelled up so bad I could barely see. Since then I've been on oral Bactrim a couple of times with no problem, very odd. Hopefully the Cipro does the job for you with no problems!</end quote></div>

I've had the same problem with my 2.5 y/o. Every antibiotic she is given goes through with no problem the first time. Then after a couple of times she gets a rash and/or face swelling. I am kind of freaking out b/c she is only 2.5 and they already excuded Bactim and Augmentin.

ymikhale

Wow that is quite impressive, I'm glad to hear they finally got it under control! I've always thought it was weird how meds we've been on before with no problems can cause bad reactions like that. I've taken oral Bactrim as long as I can remember with no problem and one time they put me on the IV form and after about a week on it my entire face swelled up so bad I could barely see. Since then I've been on oral Bactrim a couple of times with no problem, very odd. Hopefully the Cipro does the job for you with no problems!</end quote>

I've had the same problem with my 2.5 y/o. Every antibiotic she is given goes through with no problem the first time. Then after a couple of times she gets a rash and/or face swelling. I am kind of freaking out b/c she is only 2.5 and they already excuded Bactim and Augmentin.

ymikhale

<br />
<br />Wow that is quite impressive, I'm glad to hear they finally got it under control! I've always thought it was weird how meds we've been on before with no problems can cause bad reactions like that. I've taken oral Bactrim as long as I can remember with no problem and one time they put me on the IV form and after about a week on it my entire face swelled up so bad I could barely see. Since then I've been on oral Bactrim a couple of times with no problem, very odd. Hopefully the Cipro does the job for you with no problems!</end quote>
<br />
<br />I've had the same problem with my 2.5 y/o. Every antibiotic she is given goes through with no problem the first time. Then after a couple of times she gets a rash and/or face swelling. I am kind of freaking out b/c she is only 2.5 and they already excuded Bactim and Augmentin.

T

TonyaH

Andrew had a problem with ceftaz, too. He ran high fevers that started two weeks into therapy, white blood and platelets went crazy.... That was a year ago. This past September he was put on iv cefoxitin. Again, two weeks went well, then he started running these crazy high fevers, did nothing but sleep, and developed this rash all over his body. Again, his white blood and platelets took a nosedive. We have obviously ruled out any cepholosporin med for him in the future. It looks like that whole family of abx is a no-no for him.

I'm so glad you were in the hospital when this happened, although I'm really sorry you are going through it. I hope they can find another med that will work well for you!

T

TonyaH

Andrew had a problem with ceftaz, too. He ran high fevers that started two weeks into therapy, white blood and platelets went crazy.... That was a year ago. This past September he was put on iv cefoxitin. Again, two weeks went well, then he started running these crazy high fevers, did nothing but sleep, and developed this rash all over his body. Again, his white blood and platelets took a nosedive. We have obviously ruled out any cepholosporin med for him in the future. It looks like that whole family of abx is a no-no for him.

I'm so glad you were in the hospital when this happened, although I'm really sorry you are going through it. I hope they can find another med that will work well for you!

T

TonyaH

<br />
<br />I'm so glad you were in the hospital when this happened, although I'm really sorry you are going through it. I hope they can find another med that will work well for you!