Dry Cough/Symdeko

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone experienced a dry/nonproductive cough on Symdecko? DS has been on it for about a month, ended up with a head cold a week or so after starting it. Had some residual sinus issues, which he does sinus rinses for to clear the crud. No I'm not sure if he's getting yet another cold or something, allergies, or if it's a side effect of symdeko. He isn't feeling any pain, just says his chest feels a little different, not really tight and so I think he's making himself cough in the hopes of coughing up something...

Anyway, it's been dry and dusty around here, lots of people having issues with allergies. He rarely coughs unless he's coming down with something. I have had him increase drinking fluids and he said that it seemed to help.

rubyroselee

Hi -
I have been on Symdeko since March. I would say that my cough definitely feels different. I am experiencing more of a dry cough now compared to my pre-Symdeko junky cough. My lungs feel different too - a little more irritated and twitchy perhaps? I'm not really sure, as I'm still trying to figure it out myself. My lungs overall feel a little different, but definitely for the better.

Michaelp397

Yes my cough is different since starting symdeko. Its like there's always mucus that feels like it needs to come up But when I cough nothing hardly comes up. Just a dry cough. I find it harder to cough stuff up than before I was on symdeko. My Dr and I have been trying to figure this out for months. We thought it was my asthma. But now I know I'm not the only one. Sorry for your troubles...I find this very aggravating, I have the urge to cough almost all the time but I know nothing will hardly come up! Thanks for your post.

Michael 32yr/male/DD-f508

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
He had a clinic appointment last week and his pfts were fine and he isn't culturing anything other than normal flora. I did mention the cough, they listened to him. Guess we'll continue to monitor. I do know someone on social media indicated their lungs felt different and suspected they just weren't used to their lungs feeling different, thus the urge to cough. DS has tried to describe the feeling to me as well.

Meanwhile, he started hypersal, so maybe he'll cough up an ancient lung nugget. :)

Michaelp397

I tried 7% and it was way to strong all I did was cough the entire time so now they have me on 3% it's much more tolerable. Good luck!