dry runs

Skye

I know that you can expect a dry run; but, what is generally typical? Are there averages out there....2,3,4....or is that an unknown. I was also wondering what happens when you get as far as taking imunosuppression meds. Does that leave you vulnerable for a bit of time and having to be careful for a while like you had a tx? Do you have to avoid crowds...wear a mask? Just curious. Thanks for any info.

Skye

I know that you can expect a dry run; but, what is generally typical? Are there averages out there....2,3,4....or is that an unknown. I was also wondering what happens when you get as far as taking imunosuppression meds. Does that leave you vulnerable for a bit of time and having to be careful for a while like you had a tx? Do you have to avoid crowds...wear a mask? Just curious. Thanks for any info.

Skye

Skye

Skye

nu65

I think dry runs are pretty common at every transplant center. My center (Duke) has the shortest waiting time in the nation, I've been waiting 23 days and had one dry run 13 days in. For my dry run, they gave me my first dose of Prograf about 3 hours after I got the call. Waited 11 hours to hear the lungs were no good. I wasn't told to avoid crowds or anything to be extra cautious about. I was also in the hospital at the time. I know people who have had more than 3 dry runs but I've also talked with CFers who got them first call. Nobody can really estimate it.

nu65

I think dry runs are pretty common at every transplant center. My center (Duke) has the shortest waiting time in the nation, I've been waiting 23 days and had one dry run 13 days in. For my dry run, they gave me my first dose of Prograf about 3 hours after I got the call. Waited 11 hours to hear the lungs were no good. I wasn't told to avoid crowds or anything to be extra cautious about. I was also in the hospital at the time. I know people who have had more than 3 dry runs but I've also talked with CFers who got them first call. Nobody can really estimate it.

nu65

nu65

nu65

NYCLawGirl

ugh - considering i'm awake from a combo of too many steroids and pure adreniline (plus a whacked out sleep schedule) from a dry run, i feel qualified to answer this:

i've had 5 -- two were just calls and i never made it in to the hospital. two were typical dry runs with full prep (although once there was a problem with pharmacy and i got no prograf for some reason). yesterday was flat out bordering on absurd and should not be used as any sort of indicator of other people's experience.

i typically have received a lot of steroids and a dose of prograf. i also get a LOT of antibiotics and an anti-fungal pre-op. i wasn't told to avoid crowds or be careful when i was sent home, but one of the questions they ask during pre-op is whether you have had any exposure to sick people within 3-4 days, in part to avoid the chance of sending you into surgery with a dormant virus (i think), so now that i am getting lots of dry runs and i know i am top of the list, i'm not going out of my way to expose myself to large quantities of people anyway. i go the gym, i walk outside when weather permits, and i go to normal public places like stores or restaurants. i probably wouldn't go to a crowded concert or a baseball game right about now if i had the option though...unless it were some sort of special occasion.

dry runs are hard. really hard. even the ones that were "just calls" were emotionally exhausting for me, though in retrospect they are definitely the "best" kind of dry run. i think i can say pretty authoritatively by now that dry runs aren't worth it as "practice" -- i think going into this process i thought a dry run would help prepare me somehow, but they are 1) exhausting for you and your support team, 2) they hurt b/c you are poked and prodded unnecessarily, and 3) they set you back quite a bit in terms of exercise/activity by keeping you up for long hours typically in the middle of the night. i know right now i am hoping for at least a few days to get my strength back. i could barely walk when i left the ICU this morning honestly, and i consider myself in great shape and a hardcore exerciser. if i was like that after a dinky little 2 hour anesthesia session, i can only imagine what transplant recovery must do to your strength. so to me, right now, it's not about HOW MANY dry runs you might have, but how much you can force yourself to really get back in the saddle right after they occur and keep your spirits and body in good condition. and, like i mentioned, it is hard.

NYCLawGirl

ugh - considering i'm awake from a combo of too many steroids and pure adreniline (plus a whacked out sleep schedule) from a dry run, i feel qualified to answer this:

i've had 5 -- two were just calls and i never made it in to the hospital. two were typical dry runs with full prep (although once there was a problem with pharmacy and i got no prograf for some reason). yesterday was flat out bordering on absurd and should not be used as any sort of indicator of other people's experience.

i typically have received a lot of steroids and a dose of prograf. i also get a LOT of antibiotics and an anti-fungal pre-op. i wasn't told to avoid crowds or be careful when i was sent home, but one of the questions they ask during pre-op is whether you have had any exposure to sick people within 3-4 days, in part to avoid the chance of sending you into surgery with a dormant virus (i think), so now that i am getting lots of dry runs and i know i am top of the list, i'm not going out of my way to expose myself to large quantities of people anyway. i go the gym, i walk outside when weather permits, and i go to normal public places like stores or restaurants. i probably wouldn't go to a crowded concert or a baseball game right about now if i had the option though...unless it were some sort of special occasion.

dry runs are hard. really hard. even the ones that were "just calls" were emotionally exhausting for me, though in retrospect they are definitely the "best" kind of dry run. i think i can say pretty authoritatively by now that dry runs aren't worth it as "practice" -- i think going into this process i thought a dry run would help prepare me somehow, but they are 1) exhausting for you and your support team, 2) they hurt b/c you are poked and prodded unnecessarily, and 3) they set you back quite a bit in terms of exercise/activity by keeping you up for long hours typically in the middle of the night. i know right now i am hoping for at least a few days to get my strength back. i could barely walk when i left the ICU this morning honestly, and i consider myself in great shape and a hardcore exerciser. if i was like that after a dinky little 2 hour anesthesia session, i can only imagine what transplant recovery must do to your strength. so to me, right now, it's not about HOW MANY dry runs you might have, but how much you can force yourself to really get back in the saddle right after they occur and keep your spirits and body in good condition. and, like i mentioned, it is hard.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />i've had 5 -- two were just calls and i never made it in to the hospital. two were typical dry runs with full prep (although once there was a problem with pharmacy and i got no prograf for some reason). yesterday was flat out bordering on absurd and should not be used as any sort of indicator of other people's experience.
<br />
<br />i typically have received a lot of steroids and a dose of prograf. i also get a LOT of antibiotics and an anti-fungal pre-op. i wasn't told to avoid crowds or be careful when i was sent home, but one of the questions they ask during pre-op is whether you have had any exposure to sick people within 3-4 days, in part to avoid the chance of sending you into surgery with a dormant virus (i think), so now that i am getting lots of dry runs and i know i am top of the list, i'm not going out of my way to expose myself to large quantities of people anyway. i go the gym, i walk outside when weather permits, and i go to normal public places like stores or restaurants. i probably wouldn't go to a crowded concert or a baseball game right about now if i had the option though...unless it were some sort of special occasion.
<br />
<br />dry runs are hard. really hard. even the ones that were "just calls" were emotionally exhausting for me, though in retrospect they are definitely the "best" kind of dry run. i think i can say pretty authoritatively by now that dry runs aren't worth it as "practice" -- i think going into this process i thought a dry run would help prepare me somehow, but they are 1) exhausting for you and your support team, 2) they hurt b/c you are poked and prodded unnecessarily, and 3) they set you back quite a bit in terms of exercise/activity by keeping you up for long hours typically in the middle of the night. i know right now i am hoping for at least a few days to get my strength back. i could barely walk when i left the ICU this morning honestly, and i consider myself in great shape and a hardcore exerciser. if i was like that after a dinky little 2 hour anesthesia session, i can only imagine what transplant recovery must do to your strength. so to me, right now, it's not about HOW MANY dry runs you might have, but how much you can force yourself to really get back in the saddle right after they occur and keep your spirits and body in good condition. and, like i mentioned, it is hard.

Lex

I had two dry runs plus another call my doc didn't make to me because she decided I could wait for better lungs. So, I had 3 shots and the fourth time worked out.

There's nothing pretty about dry runs. Lots of tears.

Lex

I had two dry runs plus another call my doc didn't make to me because she decided I could wait for better lungs. So, I had 3 shots and the fourth time worked out.

Lex

Lex

Lex

<br />
<br />There's nothing pretty about dry runs. Lots of tears.