E coli

jshet

Hi guys. Got my sons culture results today, and the only thing that grew was e coli. They said they do not treat it. The nurse also said it probably is due to him refluxing. He is on reflux medication already.

He did have a drop in his pft's at clinic, but his doctor was not overly concerned since he was coming off of (2) 14 day cyles of antibiotics pretty much back to back.

I had had him to his pediatrician between antibiotics because he was having daily episodes of choking on his food, liquid, and even saliva. I asked about reflux then but he said he is being treated for it and treated for a sinus infection instead.

anyone else culture e coli before? Do you know if it is a cf bug, or possibly just found in anyone? I do wonder if he is refluxing even while taking a ppi, and this is actually still an issue for him. he has developmental issues and asking him questions about what he is feeling is difficult, so it can turn into a guessing game.

thank you, jshet

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Augh. I'm so sorry; there's always something. I can't help with the e coli, but on the reflux: Our son does both Zantac and Prilosac (one's a ppi and one acts differently) and still has reflux issues, mostly when things aren't moving at the other end. I'm wondering if the increase in tube feedings might have him backed up so that is an issue and making more reflux than normal? Or maybe more reflux from just more feedings and a fuller tummy? Sorry I'm not much help but he can be refluxing even with the ppi (but if he isn't on both and that's an option you might try it). (We know he is refluxing because of very volatile hiccups; he says the acid reflux came up; and he has an acid reflux cough). Hugs and Prayers,
Love

nmw0615

Like Aboveall, I don't really know much about the E. coli. But I've found that taking a probiotic has helped my reflux as much as the meds designed for acid. I've always thought, for me personally, that with all the meds and especially the antibiotics, my system gets completely out of control. The probiotics have really helped, and since I started taking them almost 2 years ago, I've had a significant reduction in reflux issues.

jshet

Thank you both. He does have an appointment with his gi doctor the end of the month, and i will see what he thinks. I think there must be some reflux going on. He also has had sore throats off and on the last couple months. If it comes back, i am going to ask that he have another swab.
He may need another medication added to his protonix because of the extra feeds. Thank you Aboveallislove, i did not think of that, but it would make sense.
as far as probiotics nmw0615, i am not very familiar with them, but am going to check into it, do some reading, and bring it up to hi gi doctor. Thank you.
just the word e coli is, well, yuk! The fact that he could be refluxing it into his throat, is nasty. If this is what is happening, weather it is a bug the cf clinic treats ir not, i want it gone. I am thinking his gi doctor will be more helpful with this.
thank you both again. Take care, jshet

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
A couple more thoughts...acid reflux can burn the escophgas sp? And thus I'd think the throat so that might be a clue to what he is feeling. And I agree re the yuck and hopefully GI can help get that nipped. Finally, we too use probiotics culturelle and it has heled our sons stomach a ton...I didn't connect it with helping the reflux but that's interesting that it might. Good luck!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Ps doesn't it sometimes feel like we're doing all the doctor's work!! I know they are the doctors...they know more.. they know the science...and they will decide on the appropriate treatment, but it is a huge puzzle and we see all the pieces...we don't always know what to do with them, but we see them whereas they sometimes don't get the full picture! Boy it's so exhausting, though,,...as I've said to gi before...just tell me what to do!

kosdancer

I can answer to the E. coli - I would agree with your doc that it is likely caused by the reflux. E. coli is a bug that lives in all of our guts and it's pretty harmless (it's harmless enough that I work with it in my lab work and am not at all worried about it, and neither are my doctors). It's not on the list of bugs that cause decreased lifespan for CF so I wouldn't worry about it in terms of infection, only in terms of the fact that it is probably indicating reflux. I don't really think it could live in our lungs very well but I don't want to say that for sure. And it sounds like you have a lot of good suggestions for the reflux! You're also right that the GI doc should be able to help you more.

jshet

Abovesllislove, yes it does sometimes feel like we are doing all the work, lol. We are able to see all of the pieces , and boy does my kid have a bunch of pieces. All in all, i guess it could be a heck of a lot worse. Checkinng into probiotics.

kosdancer, thanks for easing my mind about the e coli not being harmful. I feel a lot better. Going to follow up about the reflux, and if its an issue, get it back under control. Thanks again.

jshet

Thank you Aboveallislove. That was so kind to say. And yes his heart is his best piece. He is such a sweet kid. Never complains. I am so grateful that i have been blessed with him. He has taught me more in 18 years then i could ever teach him in my lifetime. He definetly was my saving grace, and we are on a journey i could have never imagined.

I am sure you feel the same way. We are truely blessed.