E rapid

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Who uses it? what do you think? Is it as effective as a hospital grade compressor? Just curious if it makes life easier and is just as effective...Also how is cleaning it?

Oboe

I use it for my Cayston. Works pretty well, takes about 2 minutes to do a 1ml dose. Cleaning it is like cleaning any of your other nebs. I just rinse it off and toss it in a pot of boiling water, minus the metallic contact thing inside. That you just rinse off and let dry. Never tried using it on anything else.

My only problem is that if you don't clean it as often as you should, which honestly I'm guilty of sometimes, the buildup can leak out from the hinge where it opens. Simple enough to fix by cleaning it properly, though.

J

jamest

I use it for all my nebs, dramatic improvement in quality of life - only spend maybe 25 minutes doing 3 nebs, instead of the 45 minutes+ it used to take for just 2. I just reuse the cayston handset after I finish the cayston, so every month I am rotating in a new handset for albuterol + HTS. Cleaning is not a really big deal.

T

The Dot

Who uses it? what do you think? Is it as effective as a hospital grade compressor? Just curious if it makes life easier and is just as effective...Also how is cleaning it?

I was just reading the replies you have gotten so far and thought I would chime in. I am an RRT and I have spent the last year learning everything I can about CF care and spreading the knowledge among my colleagues so that we can care for the adult CF population from a nearby clinic.

First off: The little mesh thingy does need to be cleaned and sterilized just like the rest of the handset! You just do not want to touch the inner part of the mesh with your hands or any other part of the device, so it requires more care. There is a great video from the CFF at http://bit.ly/CaringNeb-eFlow

Secondly: It is also important to note that the Altera handset is NOT the same as the E-Rapid handset. The size of the holes in the vibrating mesh are NOT the same and this does affect medication delivery. Please, consult your CF Clinic about this. The Altera is strictly for Cayston and the E-Rapid can be used for other medications.

Finally: Back to your original question - I know some prefer the E-Rapid because it does give them back so much time and it is not any more difficult to care for properly than any other nebulizer.

J

jamest

Secondly: It is also important to note that the Altera handset is NOT the same as the E-Rapid handset. The size of the holes in the vibrating mesh are NOT the same and this does affect medication delivery. Please, consult your CF Clinic about this. The Altera is strictly for Cayston and the E-Rapid can be used for other medications.
Annecdote: Since my insurance won't cover the erapid handset, I do use alteras for everything - I do a month of Cayston, then use that handset for albuterol & HTS the next month, then throw it out.

It definitely works (after all, these drugs are all basically saline). I've been doing this for two years now, no noticeable negative effects, definitely works better than aerosol machines.

vbs420

Healthcare is for profit business.

Therefore, of course Altera can only be used with Cayston.

We accept all credit and debit cards to purchase a new E-rapid each month you're not toking C.

Note: before I stopped Tobi, my RT did caution to use only a half dose, because it becomes more potent in the Altera. Also takes 1/4 of the time.